• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted July 17, 2011 - 03:16 PM

Hello just found this site today when searching for a bolens part. I would like to talk with the resident 2 wheel Bolens expert here about my M455 01 sulky. I found in the files here , a manual for the sulkys but theres no info on the hitch part. I wanted to put this sulky with my 15F tractor, and have the piviting part of the hitch on the frame, but dont know what the drawbar(?) part looks like. Anyone out there have a picture of it, so i could make one? Thanks

Jeff

#2 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted July 17, 2011 - 04:08 PM

Not sure I can help (I'm not the resident expert), but I believe you need a Bolens # F130 Hitch to connect your 15F tractor to your M455-01 Sulky.

The drawbar should already be on your tractor. .....This is Item #36 shown on page 6 of the 15FA & 15FB Manual.

The F130 Hitch slides into the tractor's drawbar, and is locked in by the "cam-lock" lever. ......The sulky then connects to the F130 Hitch with an "L-shaped" pin.

The hitch on the front of the sulky allows for the left-to-right pivoting of the sulky when making a turn. .....The F130 Hitch has a swivel built in to allow for "vertical twisting" if the tractor & sulky are on uneven ground. (Clear as mud, right?)

I'll see if I can find a picture somewhere, but I don't make any promises. .....I can visualize the hitch better than I can describe it.
  • Bolens 1000 and MH81 have said thanks

#3 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted July 17, 2011 - 05:57 PM

I'll see if I can find a picture somewhere, but I don't make any promises. .....I can visualize the hitch better than I can describe it.

Here are some pics of the Bolens F130 Hitch. ......It turns out I had a NOS hitch in my stash of "stuff."

I apologize for the poor quality of the pictures. ......The hitch is actually green against a white background. .....I don't know why they came out so dark aP1010091.jpg s they looked great through the viewfinder.

I don't think you can easily make one, but if you want dimensions, I can measure this one for you. P1010093.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• P1010092.jpg

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#4 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted July 17, 2011 - 07:02 PM

yes thats the part im looking for, i saw that number in the sulkys manual but there was no photo of it so it was a struggle to know what i was trying to ask for. I'll take it, figure out the shipping to 52738 and let me know how to pay you for it and the other details.

#5 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted July 17, 2011 - 10:25 PM

109-a.jpg Heres a picture of the sulky i just got, that needs the hitch parts.

#6 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted July 18, 2011 - 07:46 AM

yes thats the part im looking for, i saw that number in the sulkys manual but there was no photo of it so it was a struggle to know what i was trying to ask for. I'll take it, figure out the shipping to 52738 and let me know how to pay you for it and the other details.

Thanks, I think a USPS Flat-rate box will be the cheapest method to ship, but I'll check with them.
  • Lauber1 said thank you

#7 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted July 18, 2011 - 06:31 PM

sounds great, let me know as soon as your ready.

#8 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted July 19, 2011 - 01:06 PM

After doing some research, I found more info about Bolens hitches.

The hitch I pictured above was not marked correctly. .....That is an F130A Hitch, not an F130 hitch.

Please see the info I posted at this link: Bolens Hitch Info - Manuals - Garden Tractor Talk - Forums

I went to my "stash" and found an F130 Hitch and took new pics for the info at that link. .....However, I failed to mention that the tractor's drawbar only needs to be locked when using the F130 or F130A Hitch. .....The clevis is hinged up from the notch, but remains on the drawbar when using rear attachments such as a moldboard plow, discs, or cultivator.

I can supply you with either - your choice. ....The F130 is a used part which I will sell for $20. ....The NOS F130A is $25. .....Or, both for $40. ......I do not have the L-shaped hitch pins, but the locking clevis is included. ......USPS Flat-Rate shipping is $10.95 (for one or both hitches) for their medium-sized Flat-Rate box. ....The post office told me 2-3 days for the package to get from New Jersey to Iowa.

If you still want to buy, please PM your full name and address to me. ....Thanks!

#9 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted July 25, 2011 - 07:43 PM

Bruce,,, I was completely surprised to get a package from you today with the hitchs, as i only sent out the check thursday or friday. I put the F130A on the tractor tonite and it fits perfectly.

Now for my new problem. The sulky doesnt fit into the hitch. It appears that the sulkys hitch is about 1/8th bigger than the gap at the back of the F130A hitch. The next problem i saw, was that the tongue of the sulky looks to be downhill and the hitch on the back of the tractor looks to be going downhill, so even if the two parts fit iside each other there at an odd angle. I believe that the reasons for this is tires on both units are maybe not orginals. The tractor has 5x12, and should have a 6x12 which would make them taller thus raising the hitch up a little. The sulky has an inflated tire, but the manual shows two differnt versions of what appears to be a semi-pneumatic tire.These may have been smaller in height than the current wheels. As this is the first real Bolens sulky i have theres nothing here to compare what came out of the factory.

Also i was wondering if you or anyone else knows how the hitch would flex if the tractor went though a dip or if say one has a reel mower on the front. I see the tilt side to side movement, but not any flex for uneven ground.

Lastly I want to say that I'm completely happy with the hitches and i dont find any of the above troubles to be related to them. I just think there must be more info i dont have on using them. Thanks for sending them out so quick and i hope the PO gets you the check just as fast.

Jeff

#10 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted July 25, 2011 - 09:08 PM

UPdate;; We did some tire measurements after supper tonite and found the tires on the tractor now (5x12) are only 20.5" tall roughly. I had some 6x12 ones off another machine and found them to be about 22.5" tall. I placed a pair of small 2x4 blocks under the wheels of the 15F and the hitch now lines up and with some lite taps of the hammer slid into the front part. Its fairly tight but workable. Looks like ill be changing out tires this weekend to correct the height problem. Still havent figured out the float/flex part, but one goal at a time.

#11 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted July 26, 2011 - 12:41 AM

I received your check on Monday, Jeff. ...Thanks! ....Package was shipped Friday.

I never saw a Bolens sulky with pneumatic tires from the factory. .....The early sulkies had wire-spoked wheels. ......Later sulkies had steel rims with non-replaceable semi-pneumatic tires.

I didn't compare them, but is there a difference in installed height between the F130 & F130A hitches?

You're right that there is no vertical flex in the hitch. .....However, like you said, these tractors with front mowers were often used with a sulky. ....It's been at least 45 years since I rode one of these set-ups, and I don't remember the details. ......I think there is something in the manuals about leaving one of the two bolts (the rear bolt?) out of the sulky hitch to allow the needed flex. (The info may be in the manual for the cart with the seat.)

Edit: I found this info in the manual for the M455A-01 Sulky:

"Place the hitch assembly over the end of the tongue and secure with cap screws. When front mounted attachments are used, such as lawn mower, sickle bar, etc., install front cap screw only. This allows sulky to swivel so attachments will follow the contour of the ground."

If you remove the rear bolt, you should not have to change the wheels on either the tractor or the sulky.

Edited by Bruce Dorsi, July 26, 2011 - 01:14 AM.

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#12 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted July 26, 2011 - 06:19 PM

I downloaded that manual, but must have missed that part about the bolts. Thanks for pointing it out. I 've had both hitches on and dont see any measureable differance in the height. Someone must have changed the wheels out on this sulky, but they did a fine job as the brakes work just like they should with these tires. Should be ready for a test run this weekend if the heat lets up a little. once again your a good man to work with.

Jeff
  • Bruce Dorsi said thank you

#13 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted August 04, 2011 - 08:09 PM

Now that the heat let up somewhat here(back to the low 90's) i was able to finish up the 15F/sulky project. I decided to take the 6x12 wheels off a springfield walker(i got it just for the tires anyway) and repaint them for the bolens. This raised the rear of the tractor up about 1 1/2 inches and helped get the handles off my knees. The test run went well and ill have to have my son come over and photo everything so i can post them.Going to get the tongue lenghtened out a little as the handles are still to close to my chest, and im sure the wife wont like that a bit either. Still two weeks until its first show near the great city of Cedar Falls, Ia.

#14 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted August 13, 2011 - 03:00 PM

As promised a photo of the 15F/ sulky and brush cutter.038.jpg