• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 flip OFFLINE  

flip

• Member No: 4705
  • 1 Thanks
  • 38 posts

Posted July 17, 2011 - 11:12 AM

I started installing a 'new' wiring harness in my 316 Onan B43. I came to a plug which connects to the Time Delay Module.
Well, the previous owner must have removed it. What is it, and how could it have been bypassed?

#2 gimmodog OFFLINE  

gimmodog

• Member No: 4860
  • 5 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted July 17, 2011 - 10:31 PM

I don't know anything about one on a 316 but I just had to replace one on my 332, its cost was $175 plus tax! On the diesel it delays shutting the fuel off when the seat switch has temporarily opened when you hit a bump and the seat bounces up and temporarily opens. I'm sure it has other functions also but thats the one thing I know about it.

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 18, 2011 - 05:35 AM

If you download the 316,318,420 service manual there is a schematic where you can see the application of the module. It looks to me like it is used to delay the seat switch as well as maybe test the indicator lights at startup.

#4 flip OFFLINE  

flip

• 1 Thanks
  • 38 posts

Posted July 18, 2011 - 07:12 AM

I don't even have the stock seat, thus there is no switch to delay. I hate to spend that kind of money just to get the charging light to work. The old wiring looks like it was redone with a hedge trimmer. I am hoping I can bypass the functions until I can find all the components to replace.

#5 MowerGang OFFLINE  

MowerGang

• Member No: 4688
  • 0 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted July 18, 2011 - 09:33 AM

It seems like a lot of people bypass this thing. You are not the first person to ask about what it does. With the wiring diagram you can figure out how to run without it.

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 18, 2011 - 06:01 PM

Unfortunately the service manual does not have a schematic of the delay module. It looks like it is a junction point for some of the wiring as well as whatever time delays it provides. Is it a sealed unit or does it consist of discrete circuitry to provide the delays? I've never seen one.

#7 gimmodog OFFLINE  

gimmodog

• 5 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted July 18, 2011 - 07:15 PM

its a circuit board inside a plastic case. The board can be removed and repaired if someone is capable. I think the manual that shows the schematic for them is the John Deere TM1591.

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 19, 2011 - 05:26 AM

I have an electronics background and am interested in providing help on items like this module. If anyone has the schematic I'd like to see it. I'll try to locate one myself. I'm thinking that a replacement module might be doable for a reasonable cost.

#9 flip OFFLINE  

flip

• 1 Thanks
  • 38 posts

Posted July 19, 2011 - 06:44 AM

I found the schematic in Manual TM1590 page 240-15-9 Unfortunately the guts are an integrated circuit and a Battery Discharge Lamp Control. It looks as if the IC just controls a single transistor. There is enough information there that I think it can be bypassed.

#10 gimmodog OFFLINE  

gimmodog

• 5 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted July 19, 2011 - 11:33 AM

Go down about 3/4 of the page listed below and you will see a PARTIAL schematic diagram. I have had the circuit board out of mine so i know there is more components on it than what is shown here.

Weekend Freedom Machines: 332 time delay module

#11 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 19, 2011 - 03:50 PM

I had a look at the electrical diagrams in the manual. There are 3 of them that describe the operation of the delay module in different aspects. It shows a timer IC and a battery discharge detector circuit. These modules are probably repairable at the component level if JD did not use any weird IC's in the circuitry. I'm guessing a 555timer IC for the delay and an OP Amp configured as a comparator for the voltage discharge detect on the battery. These modules should be easily repaired or replicated. If I had a bad one to look at I could tell. If anyone would like to send me a bad one I'll attempt to repair it for free and ship it back to you one way or the other. In most cases it could be a simple bad connection that is causing grief. The other problem could be with faulty regulators sending voltage spikes to the circuitry and it is damaged. I have been working on stuff like this for 30yrs. It sounds like an interesting challenge.
  • mikebramel and flip have said thanks

#12 flip OFFLINE  

flip

• 1 Thanks
  • 38 posts

Posted July 21, 2011 - 06:09 AM

Okay, Since I have no seat switch, jump 2-3-4 then connect PTO and neutral switch circuit to 6. No charge light, but that can be worked out later.