• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 Kyocum OFFLINE  

Kyocum

• Member No: 6171
  • 280 Thanks
  • 403 posts

Posted September 19, 2011 - 11:07 PM

The issue with aftermarket belts is taper on the inside and the width of the back. That being said I did some experimenting and changed both of my mule drive pulleys to 1/2" width x 3" diameter bought at NAPA. Then I purchased one of their green belts and have run it for 2 yrs without an issue. The pto clutch and the pulley on the deck are allready wide enough to deal with the larger width belt anyways.

#17 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,507 Thanks
  • 5,025 posts

Posted September 19, 2011 - 11:59 PM

Normally being the skinflint that I am I would go to TSC or some other outlet to purchase my belts. But after reading horror stories about the long belts for the tillers on the 129 through 1450 tractors I splurged for a factory belt. It has been money well spent. It had a real work out on two different tractors over two years and hasn't given my an ounce of trouble. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. Also the cost was no more than anywhere else.

#18 lrhredjb OFFLINE  

lrhredjb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3984
  • 280 Thanks
  • 269 posts

Posted September 20, 2011 - 09:05 PM

This year I bought an honest to goodness Cub Cadet belt for my 129 with the 48" deck from the dealer. After I got home, found they gave me the wrong belt, went back to the dealer and exchanged it for the correct belt(I had to tell them the part number), got home, put the belt on and mowed for all of 30 minutes, PING. I'll stick with the green TSC belts from now on. Perhaps they don't have the correct "V" configuration, but I've never had an issue with one of them. After the first mowing(4 1/2 to 5 hours worth), I had to tighten it and it's been good since.

I used to be a firm believer in OEM belts but after mowing my 1/4 acre subdivision lot 3 times and having it break I'm beginning to wonder if the quality isn't being compromised now. I had to put on an old oem belt that was probably 10 yrs old to finish mowing. I'm not in a real big rush to pony up another $36 for a new OEM belt.
Larry

#19 CountryLoveSales OFFLINE  

CountryLoveSales

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3899
  • 9 Thanks
  • 47 posts

Posted September 25, 2011 - 11:03 AM

As always, I will help any fellow collecter with restore factory belts and parts if I can. I ship as cheap as I can and know how it is to get parts..

I have read a number of responses on this thread and understand everyone's take on things. I am blessed to have 2 CNH dealerships within 20 miles of me, a TSC, Farm & Fleet, and 4 Napas within 30 miles of me. I have owned a number of MTD products in the past and even more once I got educated having worked at a dealer. In my own personal experience, I have learned I would prefer to pay the extra money upfront for an original MTD belt that is made to work on the machine versus attempting to Match one up by width and length. This has simply become a preference of mine and I will certainly not preach to anyone about the topic. I fully understand not everyone has the facilities and outlets I am blessed to have locally.

#20 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted September 28, 2011 - 06:14 PM

My newly squired Cub 2165 is ready to mow other than it needs a belt.

It's a HDS 2165 134-268-100 with 46" LT Deck 300-190 it calls for Cub/Mtd 5/8 x 110.6 or Gates B108 11/16 x 111.The belts around here for these sizes are $37 each for Cub/MTD branded and Gates.
There's got to be a cheaper source for belts.I've looked on Ebay and the cheap no-name brand belts in this size are still $32-$38.

$40 for a darn belt is Nuts.

#21 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,465 Thanks
  • 39,697 posts

Posted September 28, 2011 - 06:21 PM

Try $97 for a hydro filter! I will have it gold plated, since they failed to do that.

#22 CountryLoveSales OFFLINE  

CountryLoveSales

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3899
  • 9 Thanks
  • 47 posts

Posted September 29, 2011 - 06:14 AM

I offer a 954-3068 Cub belt to collectors for 28.25. Must be doing something wrong??

#23 troy64 OFFLINE  

troy64

• Member No: 6448
  • 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted September 30, 2011 - 09:40 AM

The issue with aftermarket belts is taper on the inside and the width of the back. That being said I did some experimenting and changed both of my mule drive pulleys to 1/2" width x 3" diameter bought at NAPA. Then I purchased one of their green belts and have run it for 2 yrs without an issue. The pto clutch and the pulley on the deck are allready wide enough to deal with the larger width belt anyways.

That's a great idea!