22 replies to this topic

#1 lrhredjb OFFLINE  

lrhredjb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3984
  • 281 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted July 16, 2011 - 05:28 PM

Does anyone have a good alternate source of belts for the IH cubs. My experience with buying from other than a IH dealer has been all bad. The belts are always too wide and even though the length appears to be right they will not seat down in the pulleys as far as the genuine belt.
I mowed yesterday and got about 1/2 done when the pto to deck belt on my 106 just snapped in half! I just bought it a month ago, paid $35 for it and figured it was good for a couple of years. I found the old belt in the barn and when I went to install it found out the deck frame was unlatched and had slid off of the locating pins. I guess I forgot to latch it up when I had it off recently.:wallbanging:

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,521 Thanks
  • 39,741 posts

Posted July 16, 2011 - 07:46 PM

Last belts I got for my 108, I got from TSC. Haven't had a problem with them.

#3 Gibby OFFLINE  

Gibby

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4886
  • 96 Thanks
  • 360 posts

Posted July 16, 2011 - 08:06 PM

Generally, I get my belts at TSC, there is a local hardware store I go to if I don't have time to run the whole way into town though. NAPA also has good belts, I know the mechanic at work swears by NAPA belts.

#4 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted July 16, 2011 - 08:12 PM

Does anyone have a good alternate source of belts for the IH cubs. My experience with buying from other than a IH dealer has been all bad. The belts are always too wide and even though the length appears to be right they will not seat down in the pulleys as far as the genuine belt.
I mowed yesterday and got about 1/2 done when the pto to deck belt on my 106 just snapped in half! I just bought it a month ago, paid $35 for it and figured it was good for a couple of years. I found the old belt in the barn and when I went to install it found out the deck frame was unlatched and had slid off of the locating pins. I guess I forgot to latch it up when I had it off recently.:wallbanging:

The best thing in my opinion is to use the genuine article on them and they will last a LONGGGGGG time. If its a narrow frame model you almost have to use the OEM as those belts are 3/8 width and I believe the taper for the pulley is different. From my experience a 1/2inch belt will not fit down in the mower clutch properly. I've had an OEM belt with the widest part of the V missing on one side and it still ran the deck for two seasons. For the price difference between OEM and the blue belts they sell at TSC I will keep using OEM.

#5 Gibby OFFLINE  

Gibby

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 96 Thanks
  • 360 posts

Posted July 17, 2011 - 04:02 PM

Generally, I get my belts at TSC, there is a local hardware store I go to if I don't have time to run the whole way into town though. NAPA also has good belts, I know the mechanic at work swears by NAPA belts.

BTW, make sure to get Kevlar belts, automotive type belts are not suited for lawn and garden applications. Automotive belts run on a single plane whereas L&G belts make twists and bends the fan belt on your car will never see.

#6 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted July 18, 2011 - 12:22 AM

RockAuto Auto Parts has the cheapest Gates green belts that I found

#7 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted July 18, 2011 - 05:47 AM

NAPA.....employee discount.

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,521 Thanks
  • 39,741 posts

Posted July 18, 2011 - 06:20 AM

Poncho, I'll bet you have no customer service issues, either.

#9 jpcubs OFFLINE  

jpcubs

• Member No: 196
  • 5 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted July 18, 2011 - 06:51 PM

If I go to dealer it is 100 mile for me. I purchased a belt for my woods mower (226 in. belt)at NAPA $67.26 works good very well pleased. And it was made in the good ole USA. If I order it from dealer its 130.oo plus fright. that is like 2 for 1. Poncho has it going on. jpcubs

#10 ad356 OFFLINE  

ad356

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3766
  • 9 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted July 18, 2011 - 11:43 PM

that stinks, your dealer being 100 miles away. my local dealer is lamb and webster and they are less than 1 mile a away. very convenient. i agree that you have to use a OEM belt since its the only thing that has the right V angle and width. they are specific to the cub cadets. i HOPE mtd never decides to discontinue the OEM belt since that would essentially put our machines at an end for lawnmowing duty. that would not make me happy, and i certainlly would NEVER buy any MTD product to replace my IH

#11 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted July 20, 2011 - 11:57 AM

ad, someone should delete your post lol. if an MTD rep. read your post there wouldnt be IH cub belts anymore lol.

#12 Gibby OFFLINE  

Gibby

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 96 Thanks
  • 360 posts

Posted July 20, 2011 - 07:50 PM

that stinks, your dealer being 100 miles away. my local dealer is lamb and webster and they are less than 1 mile a away. very convenient. i agree that you have to use a OEM belt since its the only thing that has the right V angle and width. they are specific to the cub cadets. i HOPE mtd never decides to discontinue the OEM belt since that would essentially put our machines at an end for lawnmowing duty. that would not make me happy, and i certainlly would NEVER buy any MTD product to replace my IH

This year I bought an honest to goodness Cub Cadet belt for my 129 with the 48" deck from the dealer. After I got home, found they gave me the wrong belt, went back to the dealer and exchanged it for the correct belt(I had to tell them the part number), got home, put the belt on and mowed for all of 30 minutes, PING. I'll stick with the green TSC belts from now on. Perhaps they don't have the correct "V" configuration, but I've never had an issue with one of them. After the first mowing(4 1/2 to 5 hours worth), I had to tighten it and it's been good since.

#13 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted July 20, 2011 - 08:41 PM

Try these guys. Great service hear in Canada. They also have US depots.

Case IH Agricultural and Industrial Equipment Parts

#14 CountryLoveSales OFFLINE  

CountryLoveSales

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3899
  • 9 Thanks
  • 47 posts

Posted August 04, 2011 - 08:24 PM

Hey guys, I have always sold CUB factory belts for collectors at discount prices....

#15 alsparl OFFLINE  

alsparl

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6288
  • 14 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted September 14, 2011 - 11:42 AM

I have read a number of responses on this thread and understand everyone's take on things. I am blessed to have 2 CNH dealerships within 20 miles of me, a TSC, Farm & Fleet, and 4 Napas within 30 miles of me. I have owned a number of MTD products in the past and even more once I got educated having worked at a dealer. In my own personal experience, I have learned I would prefer to pay the extra money upfront for an original MTD belt that is made to work on the machine versus attempting to Match one up by width and length. This has simply become a preference of mine and I will certainly not preach to anyone about the topic. I fully understand not everyone has the facilities and outlets I am blessed to have locally.