• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 cdeal28078 OFFLINE  

cdeal28078

• Member No: 4906
  • 6 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted July 16, 2011 - 04:29 PM

I got this tractor from my father in laws estate. Had to be borrow and try to buy it but finally got it. It was the last one he bought so I wanted it. It was a Ford to begin with and the last one he bought.
I tried a cheap rebuild on the 12ho Kohler with no luck. I smoked like crazy before and after the new piston and rings among other things I tried. I found a Kohler K301 with 26 hours on it and got it on a great trade. It is running great except for the RPM's hunting at full throttle without a load. Been adjusting the carb. for a couple of hours and cannot get it perfect. Everything else is going great with it.
This is one nice tractor. Sliding seat, adjustable steering wheel, adjustable steering slack adjustment easy to get to. Pretty sure the 372 hours on it is correct as it sat in the back of a warehouse for 20 + years. Headlights work and it even has working tailights! This tractor sold for around $3500 back in the day from one page I found on it. It was not a cheap Lowes Riding mower by no means. I'll keep this thing for life!
So it sounds like Gilson made these years? Is that a good thing or a not so good thing. Quality seems good so I'd say a good thing. Only one little tear on the Ford Blue seat and it is down on the edge and there is already a piece of Ford Blue duct tape covering it. lol
I guess Ya'll can tell I am in love with my new to me LGT
I hope I don't bug ya'll too much. I am home alone with my dogs most of the time and get a little talkative.
Thanks for the great website
clint

Edited by MH81, July 16, 2011 - 06:02 PM.

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted July 16, 2011 - 04:45 PM

Clint, Welcome! Can't give any info on the Gilson built Fords, but I sure like mine. On the original motor, did you have the bore checked and honed? Good luck with your 'new' tractor and post some pics when you can.

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 16, 2011 - 05:29 PM

Welcome to the forum Clint. That sounds like a nice tractor. As Kenny said we like pictures and would like to see your Ford. That was a good score getting a 301 with only a few hrs on it. It should last you a long time.

#4 cdeal28078 OFFLINE  

cdeal28078

• 6 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted July 16, 2011 - 05:40 PM

Welcome to the forum Clint. That sounds like a nice tractor. As Kenny said we like pictures and would like to see your Ford. That was a good score getting a 301 with only a few hrs on it. It should last you a long time.

Thanks for the welcome guys. I'll see if I can put in a picture but I warn , I am not very good with computers. lol I hope to be able to add to this site in a good way.
Clint

Attached Thumbnails

• IM003274.jpg

#5 cdeal28078 OFFLINE  

cdeal28078

• 6 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted July 16, 2011 - 05:41 PM

Dang. looks like that actually worked. lol

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,297 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted July 16, 2011 - 06:01 PM

Cdeal28078, :welcome: to GTTalk!

Glad you were able to save a piece of family history. Looks like a nice GT!
Thanks for joining up!

BTW, I edited your title, it read "Forf" before. :D

#7 cdeal28078 OFFLINE  

cdeal28078

• 6 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted July 17, 2011 - 02:13 PM

Clint, Welcome! Can't give any info on the Gilson built Fords, but I sure like mine. On the original motor, did you have the bore checked and honed? Good luck with your 'new' tractor and post some pics when you can.

Thanks Kenny. I did measure the bore as good as I could with some inside mics I have but I then had to measure them with a good set of vernier calipers. It was right at the outside limits and appeared to still be round. I honed it and left the proper cross hashing as well. I noticed that the piston will not stay centered in the bore though. I rides up the wall and the original piston did the same thing. I am beginning to think it has a bent rod or was just machined wrong at the factory. I also think that is why it only has the 372 hours one it. Started knocking and smoking so the PO parked it.
Suits me though. On the new engine the piston sits to one side of the bore also though not as close but it runs great and not a sign of smoke so I don't know what the deal with that is.
Thanks for the warm welcome. I hope I can contribute and help people on here
clint

#8 cdeal28078 OFFLINE  

cdeal28078

• 6 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted July 17, 2011 - 02:33 PM

Thanks for correcting my spelling MH81. My fingers have that dexlexia thing. lol
I have the seriel numbers on this LG if there is anybody that can get any information from them. I tried several sites online. There is just so little information I can find on this thing. I did find a manual on the Yahoo Ford/Jacobson site and that helped a lot. I still don't know what year this is not that it really matters I guess.
LGT12h 09GN 2202 s.n. YCOO367 4A10111 Maybe somebody else can get some info out of these numbers that helps them somehow also.
clint

#9 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,455 Thanks
  • 6,623 posts

Posted July 17, 2011 - 02:55 PM

Welcome to GTtalk ,( must have missed this post yesterday ) lots of good info and people on this site , join us in the chat room , mostly at night when most people go in , Al

#10 mike165 OFFLINE  

mike165

• Member No: 2973
  • 6 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted July 17, 2011 - 06:40 PM

welcome to the forums nice gt ya have. ive got alot of info here for my ford lgt 165 these are some gteat guys and gals.

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted July 18, 2011 - 05:09 AM

If you can, take the old engine in for a bore job. It would be nice to have a spare some what ready to go. Plus, you might come up with another tractor that needs power.
With a low serial #, this may be an early year (86-87). Checked Tractor Data. They don't have a listing for this model. Not sure if these started in '86 or '87. Good luck with. Sure is a nice looking tractor.

Edited by KennyP, July 18, 2011 - 05:33 AM.
spelling

#12 cdeal28078 OFFLINE  

cdeal28078

• 6 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted July 18, 2011 - 03:08 PM

If I can ever save enough money I'll do that to the old Kohler. I figure it must be out of round or specs. I want to fix my dad's wrecked 93 F150 supercab. We bought back from the insureance company before spending any more on the LGT's though.
Fixing to crank up the LGT12H and mow my front yard with her. lol This thing is so much easier on my back than that John Deere LA115. I am fortunate this thing had new blades under it. I looked today to see if I could find some high lift blades. Yeah right. lol I cannot even find blades not to mention high lift ones. lol
clint

#13 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted July 18, 2011 - 03:13 PM

Welcome Clint,good looking Ford.

#14 cdeal28078 OFFLINE  

cdeal28078

• 6 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted July 19, 2011 - 02:16 PM

Thank you. I see you have some Bolens. I have a Bolens 850 my fater bought new back in I THINK 67. It is in my old building and I want to restore it one day also. It is still in good shape with only some surface rust. Has the Wisconsin engine and it ran when parked but I haven't cranked it in several years. Thinking about it I need to go turn the thing over a few times if nothing else
clint

#15 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted July 19, 2011 - 02:32 PM

You should post a picture of it,when you can.