• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 buckshotbob OFFLINE  

buckshotbob

• Member No: 4686
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted July 16, 2011 - 09:55 AM

the starter on our jb hydro 165 does not alway turn. most of the time it just clicks. you have to keep hitting the key switch until it finally starts cranking then then hold it for the 10 to 15 seconds it takes for the engine to finally start. has a kawasaki engine i don't have manual on engine yet. any feed back would be appreaciated.

#2 gimmodog OFFLINE  

gimmodog

• Member No: 4860
  • 5 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted July 16, 2011 - 10:26 AM

I have had this problem on my cars before, I am assuming that the starter on your 165 works the same way. There is a plunger on a starter that connects 2 contacts. These contacts will get corroded or can burn away with age. You can take the starter apart and clean the contacts or if they are burnt beyond repair you can get new contacts.

#3 buckshotbob OFFLINE  

buckshotbob

• Member No: 4686
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted July 17, 2011 - 03:50 PM

i put a jumper directly to the solinoid. engages and cranks evey time. looks like a sefety intrlock problem or a bad contact in the key switch

#4 gimmodog OFFLINE  

gimmodog

• Member No: 4860
  • 5 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted July 17, 2011 - 10:38 PM

Do a voltage check at the starter control wire ( purple wire on my 332) to see if you are getting full voltage at the starter, if not then you have a bad contact or wire. It does sound like it could be the switch. Also check the voltage at the switch end of that wire.

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 18, 2011 - 08:05 AM

Bob

I tkink you are on the right track. What I do in these situations is to trace the circuit from the power to the solonoid. You can check the resistance between the solonoid and the ignition switch with an ohmmeter. I like to use an ohmmeter to troubleshoot a circuit when it is unpowered. You should see a very low resistance from the ignition switch to the solonoid. If not you can move through the circuit until you find the bad connection. You can also check the ignition switch itself the same way. Disconnect the start wire and check the switch resistance. Sometimes a good cleaning will fix a bad connection in the switch. Also check all the connectors for loose connections, corrosion and burnt or damaged wires.