• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted July 15, 2011 - 08:47 PM

so i noticed while mowing, when i steer to the right i have a wider steer radius then steering to the left. is there any way i can adjust it?

#2 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,475 posts

Posted July 15, 2011 - 09:13 PM

Every cub I've ever had steered tighter to the left. Its kinda the nature of the beast I think. I personally think it was built into them so that they turn tighter on the side of the deck you would trim with. If you want to try and make it turn tighter to the right you could center the wheel between stops and then see where your fron wheels are in relation to this. If they seem to be more to the left take the steering arm off at the steering box, center up the front tires so they are straight ahead and then adjust the steering arm ball joints accordingly till the steering arm lines up again with the steering box centered.
  • KennyP said thank you

#3 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted July 15, 2011 - 09:33 PM

alright, will do.

#4 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted July 16, 2011 - 04:10 AM

I had to do that on another tractor as the wheel wasn't centered when I was going straight.

#5 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted July 16, 2011 - 11:03 AM

i popped the tierod off and adjusted it a bit. seems better now.

#6 pharmer OFFLINE  

pharmer

• Member No: 4250
  • 686 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted July 16, 2011 - 11:27 AM

Maybe they are built for NASCAR use also.

#7 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted July 16, 2011 - 11:32 AM

actually the tight left steering helps when i pull the grader. and yes a 12 horse cub pulls the grader just fine. but its funner with the bolens lol.

#8 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted July 16, 2011 - 03:31 PM

Maybe they are built for NASCAR use also.

There you go!

#9 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,303 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted July 16, 2011 - 03:54 PM

Doing this to my Cub 127. ‪how to make you old cub cadet steer sharper, cub cadet 122‬‏ - YouTube
My yard is 3/4 of an acre so you can see why I need a slightly sharper turning radius.

I'm also looking for narrow 8x4 rims.The ones on my cub are the wider ones with the 7 rib balloon tires that like to slide all over the place in wet or snowy conditions.

#10 Tmo OFFLINE  

Tmo

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2023
  • 356 Thanks
  • 486 posts

Posted July 20, 2011 - 12:14 PM

To make your Cub steer the same in both directions, remove both ends of the tie rod and both ends of the drag link. Straighten both front tires to where they are pointing dead straight ahead. Adjust your tie rod ends until they are center 90 degrees into each spindle arm. Be sure the tie rods ends are 90 degrees. Now, turn your steering wheel counting the number of turns lock to lock. Center your steering wheel by halving that number to find the center. Adjust each end of the drag link until they can be perfectly 90 degrees each end, one into the steering gear, the other end into the left front spindle arm. Be sure you keep both the steering wheel center and your tires straight. This will center both the steering wheel and your turning radius.

For optimum turning radius you can drill another hole outside of the hole for the drag link on the left front spindle as the video in Eric's post shows. If you do that mod, be sure you go back and redo the process I listed above.