3 replies to this topic

#1 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 15, 2011 - 04:14 PM

I'm not going to get the trailer type grill/smoker built for a while.
But still need a bigger grill for groups.
I am a big fan of charcoal/wood and Webber Kettles.
But The Rancher model (over 1000 sq inches of cooking area) is way too expensive for my budget.

However if I mounted Two 22.5" Kettles side by side I could get 840 sq inches of cooking area for around $180(local Lowes price) plus whetever angle iron,wheels and table top it took to build the carriage. What do you think?
Any drawbacks you can think of?

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted July 15, 2011 - 05:09 PM

The pro will also be the con. Different heat distribution between zones. On the up side, you will be able to cook different things at different temps by not loading the left or right side as heavy with fuel, or just letting one side "coast" from the heat on the other side...
The downside is if you are trying to cook a bunch of burgers at the same time, it'll be like playing "Whack a Mole" figuring out when to pull what off.

There are lots of plans out there and pics too of homemade BBQ units. May want to look at some of them and see if any ideas need using for your project.

#3 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted July 18, 2011 - 07:53 AM

I think it could work nicely. You could run them at slightly different temps, and shuffle stuff around as necessary.

#4 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 21, 2011 - 07:57 AM

I still think it's a good idea, but will have to be put on hold for a while. The money I has set aside for this project had to go towards a New Stihl MZ180C last Saturday. It does not pay to get aggrevated? The old Homelite ran 8 minutes and died and would not start. With a heat index over 100 degrees, I would not fight it.