#1 brokenbudget OFFLINE  

brokenbudget

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4529
  • 19 Thanks
  • 178 posts

Posted July 15, 2011 - 03:56 PM

so one of my friends picked up a fairly good condition case 446 (1974-ish) with a mower and blower for about $500. hasn't run in close to 5 or so years and the carb looks like it may have been giving problems before it was sent out to pasture. called the local "dealers" for a carb kit, of course was told to call cummins to get that stuff, and was shocked when they quoted me nearly $400 for a basic carb kit and float!:wallbanging: i said to the lady that was out of the realm of being feasable, thank you and good day. of course, i know a good place to pick these parts up and be happy, but wanted to try the "local" path first.
i ended up buying a good kit from that ebay place, from a really good fellow to deal with (mjay58) from his store :http://stores.ebay.c...sid=p4340.l2563
it showed up tuesday, and i'm very happy with the contents. yes it was $130, and i had to wait for the strike to be over to get it, but pretty well everything is there to get this dd carb back up to snuff. the other option was to mod a briggs carb onto the onan, which is an easy task that i've done a few times with excelent results but gord wants what is on the tractor to work, so i said okeedokie.:smile1:
heres a quick pic of said tractor:
Posted Image

heres the carb kit, even comes with the manifold gaskets:
Posted Image
Posted Image
he even sends out a small length of fuel tubing and a fuel filter with the kit. the filter is a cheap unit but isn't any worse than the one you would buy from the local dealer or box store and will work with no problems.
now this is where i may start sounding a little blunt, rude and forward. so be
warned!!:blush2:
if you havent sealed your onan manifold and have rebuilt you carb only to have surging, one cylinder leaner than the other or poor starting, your an idiot. take the manifold off and SEAL THE FREAKING THING!!!
i've seen people with the same problem over and over again, only to swear up and down the manifold isn't the problem. only to have that carb open again and again and not get anywhere. finally, they do the proper thing with the manifold (when everybody isn't looking:sleep:) and the problems all of a sudden mistriously disappears. get it done right off the bat when your rebuilding the carb.. it's so easy a caveman can do it, so whats your excuse? don't tell me the manifold was tested as good.....:mecry:if it wasn't resealed, it isn't good. just do it. you'll be a happier person in the end.
  • coldone said thank you

#2 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted July 15, 2011 - 05:02 PM

I am an idiot but working on it. :D.
Plan on resealing the manifold soon. I am planning on pullling it apart, making a gasket, and putting it back together with screws.
Is there another way?

#3 brokenbudget OFFLINE  

brokenbudget

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 19 Thanks
  • 178 posts

Posted July 15, 2011 - 05:45 PM

an idiot huh?:D nah! i'm talking about those people who don't want to look at the actual problem and want to live in denial instead of biting the bullet and fixing it:wave:
forget the gasket. i use good old original jb weld. permanent, strong and reliable. just make sure everything is clean clean clean! and ruff up the mating surfaces so it has something to grab onto. also make sure you have the 2 pieces clamped together real good to get the best seal after application. after i have them together, i pull a small piece of clean, dry rag through both sides to clean out any excess and "smooth" any flash from being squished out. a c clamp on the carb area helps the manifold top/bottom sit flat to each other. clean any excess out of the bolt holes otherwise your going to have to use a drill or file to help out. it's up to you weather you use rivets or bolts or screws, whatever your preferance. just make sure they are secure.

#4 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • Member No: 256
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted July 15, 2011 - 11:40 PM

Red Green is a buddy of mine so I use duct tape like all Real Men do.

#5 brokenbudget OFFLINE  

brokenbudget

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 19 Thanks
  • 178 posts

Posted July 17, 2011 - 07:27 AM

Red Green is a buddy of mine so I use duct tape like all Real Men do.

:Dreal men would have a manifold made out of duct tape:D
started working on the case's carb and manifold yesturday.
Posted Image
a little dirty, but not bad.
Posted Image
Posted Image
somebodies benn in here:confuse:
Posted Image
Posted Image
keepable parts to be cleaned in an ultra sonic bath.
Posted Image
all clean!:bounce:
Posted Image
Posted Image
a little wipe with some oil to stop any corrossion from happening while waiting on other tasks to be performed on tractor:
Posted Image
going back together.
Posted Image
Posted Image
all done!
Posted Image

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted July 17, 2011 - 07:36 AM

From what I see, I need one of those ultrasonic cleaners NOW! Man did it do a good job!

#7 brokenbudget OFFLINE  

brokenbudget

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 19 Thanks
  • 178 posts

Posted July 17, 2011 - 07:43 AM

:smile1:they do work well. they loosen everything up nice. makes it alot easier.
best 90bucks i ever spent:smile1:
you can get them at harbour freight. they have a smaller one but it doesn't have the heater like this one. the only thing about mine is the timer. it only counts down fro 480 seconds. i like to stew carbs for at least a few hours. it really knocks the old paint off as well. just a 1/4 cup of simple green to a full bath of water is good. more, and you risk discoloring the alloy parts of the carb.

#8 brokenbudget OFFLINE  

brokenbudget

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 19 Thanks
  • 178 posts

Posted July 17, 2011 - 07:56 AM

some pics of the manifold:
i drill the "rivets" out from the back.
Posted Image
Posted Image
all the leaks i have seen are on the ends behind the deflector.
Posted Image
Posted Image
gettem clean, the scuff them up a bit.
Posted Image
Posted Image
get them really clean until the rag or towel doesnt get dirty while wiping. then they're ready for some jb weld and a set of small nuts n bolts. or what ever you think is best for you.
Posted Image
i won;t bore you with the messy parts of sandwiching thoes 2 pieces together. i'll leave that up to your imagination. that, and my camera died on me before those pics were finished loading:blush2:

#9 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted July 17, 2011 - 08:05 AM

You do nice clean work there! Not sure if I could work in that clean of conditions! LOL

#10 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted July 17, 2011 - 08:21 AM

Thanks for posting the pictures of the carb and manifold repairs . If I understand the 2 pcs manifold is riveted together from the factory ? Al

#11 brokenbudget OFFLINE  

brokenbudget

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 19 Thanks
  • 178 posts

Posted July 17, 2011 - 08:28 AM

if you can call them rivets. seems they push a small length of soft metal rod into a blind hole and spin peen the exposed end. i think they were hoping for the sealant to do the majority of the holding. this is a prject that needs to be done. even on a good running engine imo.
  • Alc said thank you

#12 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,630 Thanks
  • 3,869 posts

Posted July 17, 2011 - 08:40 AM

:smile1:they do work well. they loosen everything up nice. makes it alot easier.
you can get them at harbour freight. they have a smaller one but it doesn't have the heater like this one. the only thing about mine is the timer. it only counts down fro 480 seconds. i like to stew carbs for at least a few hours. it really knocks the old paint off as well. just a 1/4 cup of simple green to a full bath of water is good. more, and you risk discoloring the alloy parts of the carb.

OK you answered my question. I picked up the same on from HF but was disappointed with the results using there cleaner.
I will try some Simple Green. Thanks

#13 brokenbudget OFFLINE  

brokenbudget

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 19 Thanks
  • 178 posts

Posted July 17, 2011 - 08:40 AM

You do nice clean work there! Not sure if I could work in that clean of conditions! LOL

thanx cow, i only bring them in if they are totaly clean. and if it's hot as heck out:smile1: then i REALLY have to make sure i protect the area around what i;m working on. plus i get to watch t.v. while puttering on whatever:blush2: or a little nap or snack.....:bounce:

#14 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,630 Thanks
  • 3,869 posts

Posted July 17, 2011 - 08:52 AM

Also, did you get around the 480 second timer?

#15 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,313 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted July 17, 2011 - 08:55 AM

Thanks for the pics and the information. I may end up with an Onan in my life and this is great to know.

Also, I see meat is on sale for $2.99 per pound... Looks like steak?