#1 maddhorse OFFLINE  

maddhorse

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4719
  • 52 Thanks
  • 85 posts

Posted July 14, 2011 - 05:44 PM

Anybody ever hear of converting from points to electic ignition? If so where would I find a kit to do so. I have a 1975 212 with electric lift I am always keying ignition just to raise or lower attachment. We all know thats a great way to burn up your points. I also am always fighting a popping at high idle I think I am running lean but under a load I do not notice it. It could be I can not hear it over the hum/rattle of attachments but just the same it would be nice to have consistancy of an HEI or GT equivalent.
Integral Hitch? Pros / Cons? Do you hook your rear attachments to it? I just dont understand the purpose except to level my trailer, I know I missing something. Please forgive my ignorance I am new to this and am hooked. Traded my 1986 22 horse Craftsman for Tiller, Snowblower, 38 inch deck and a plow blade that does not go to the 212. I have a hundred questions.

Edited by maddhorse, July 14, 2011 - 06:16 PM.

#2 ng4thraider OFFLINE  

ng4thraider

• Member No: 4466
  • 1 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted July 14, 2011 - 06:11 PM

Kirk Engines as a electronic ignition kit for the K-series engines. I have also thought of doing this to my k241. Kirk engines' web site has installation instructions also.
  • maddhorse said thank you

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,596 Thanks
  • 14,140 posts

Posted July 14, 2011 - 07:35 PM

Welcome to the forum. Have you downloaded the 200 series service manual from the manuals section of this forum. That may give you some help in troubleshooting your problem.You can also download the Kohler service manual from the Kohler site or from the forum. There are conversion kits available. I know that a Company called Kirk Engines (I think that's the name) makes a couple of modules that replace some or all of the existing spark system. There may be other aftermarket ignition modules as well. The integral hitch is JD speak for a sleeve hitch. If you have a look in the attachments forum you can probably find some posts on the different attachments that can be used on a sleeve hitch.
On your missing/popping problem make sure you have a good ground from the engine back to the battery. Also check the spark plug wire at the plug. Sometimes the connector will get loose and you won't get a consistent spark. Have a look at the governor linkage/spring and make sure it isn't gummed up with grass and that the linkage is not worn out. I had to replace the spring on my 314 because it was nearly worn through at the governor lever. Good luck getting it sorted out.
  • maddhorse said thank you

#4 maddhorse OFFLINE  

maddhorse

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4719
  • 52 Thanks
  • 85 posts

Posted July 15, 2011 - 06:22 AM

Kirk engines has some great upgrades for the points system. I think I am going to try the "points saver" as it has a warranty and it makes sense. As for integral hitch I get now. Thanks for pointing out the obvious. I need that sometimes. Thanks again especially to GTtalk in general. I enjoy working on and with my GT that I thought I was a little off. Now I know I am but I have others who are as or more off than me.

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,596 Thanks
  • 14,140 posts

Posted July 15, 2011 - 08:05 AM

You are welcome Maddhorse. You will find lots of helpful people here. It's great to see a new member be a GTT Supporter.