Garden Tractor Forums banner

Brinly planter

5K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  Goltz 
#1 ·
So I just picked up a second Brinly planter and I noticed that the drive wheel on my new one is spoked and my first one has a solid wheel. Would this make them different model numbers, or is it simply a design change over the years?
picture of my first planter after restoring

Here is the one I picked up a couple days ago with the spoked wheel

See less See more
#6 ·
So are you going to make a hitch and have two rows going at the same time? That would be neat.

#7 ·
KennyP said:
So are you going to make a hitch and have two rows going at the same time? That would be neat.
probably restore the second one and leave it on the shelf beside the first on display. Only bought it because it was really good price considering how rare they seem to be. This one even had enough chain to drive the fertilizer hopper and it has the row marker minus one piece that I can replicate and it has the 4 original seed plates

#9 ·
Didn't notice until now you were new here. Welcome to GT Talk. It wouldn't take too much to make a simple double sleeve hitch to connect them (with out modding the planters). Would look neat at a show. Whatever you do, good luck with them.

#12 ·
Lilfarmermike said:
While opn the subject of Brinly planters does anyone know how I might get one of the large gears for one? This past season I planted my sweet corn with my planters using a 6 cell plate and it looked like I had sowed it.
If you can't locate another plate, you could always find or make a larger driven sprocket at the planter unit to slow the rotation of the plate you have. Double the teeth and cut the seeding rate in half.

#13 ·
Not sure the plate you have, but in the past when i ran into this problem i just got out he black rtv and filled every other other plate hole, then trimmed it down with a razor knife. On cast plates you can easily sand blaster the rtv off if it dont work out. Most seeder unit use a common to find sprocket and it would only be a matter of get one mounted to the correct hub and welding it together. I would look at a farm supply store and see whats on the rack, and go from there. If you managed to have the manual it should tell you the correct tooth sizes that came with the unit, and if it not working out recalulate to sizes to suit you. Keep in mind that you will have to also resize your chain to drive any new parts.

#15 ·
denm said:
probably restore the second one and leave it on the shelf beside the first on display. Only bought it because it was really good price considering how rare they seem to be. This one even had enough chain to drive the fertilizer hopper and it has the row marker minus one piece that I can replicate and it has the 4 original seed plates
could you take pics of the row marker for me? i have the same planter an i want to replicate the row marker. also did they have a lifting mec for the marker or did you just lift it up by hand?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.