Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Welcome to Garden Tractor Talk Forums

GTtalk is the place to go if you are a garden tractor collector or someone looking for information on your favorite tractor. We have interactive forums, registry, tractor / implement manuals, photo galleries, articles, show coverage, tech tips and how tos, classifieds and much more.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which provides limited access. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate with other members, vote on polls, upload images and attachments as well as many other special features. Registration is quick and easy and best of all completely free!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Photo
- - - - -

Where is the brake switch on my John Deere 316

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 MowerGang OFFLINE  

MowerGang

• Member No: 4688
  • 0 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted July 14, 2011 - 05:15 PM

I have a later model John Deere 316 and I believe there is a problem with the brake safety switch. I've been trouble shooting the other switches and the circuits appear to be working properly. The only problem is, I have no idea where the brake safety switch is located.

Any help would be appreciated. Keep the explanations detailed because I might just be as dumb as this question sounds. Thanks.

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 7,378 Thanks
  • 12,584 posts

Posted July 14, 2011 - 07:15 PM

Welcome to the forum. If you go to the manuals section you can download the service manual for the 316/318/420. This should give you the information you need. Also there is a parts manual for the 316 there as well. I am not familiar with the later version of the 316 so I can't offer any help. If you can follow the linkage from the brake pedals back you should be able to figure out where the switch is. I'm sure someone else will know right where it is.

#3 MowerGang OFFLINE  

MowerGang

• 0 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted July 14, 2011 - 11:11 PM

Thanks Brian. I'm afraid the manuals didn't help me. The service manual helped me through the testing process for things like the ignition switch and some other things, but it didn't give a diagram of the brake switch location. So I had to post here.

As far as following the linkages, I feel like I have followed every location available. I am wondering if the switch is on the parking brake part or on the brake linkage part.

Finally, if someone knows how to override this switch, please post.

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help me.

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 7,378 Thanks
  • 12,584 posts

Posted July 15, 2011 - 05:23 AM

If you need to have the parking brake engaged to start the mower then the switch may indeed be on the parking brake linkage. Is there a schematic in the manual. If so, then it may give you clues such as wire colours to help find it. If I get a chance I'll have a look through the manual and see if I can find any clues. I have a 314 which is a different beast altogether so I am not familiar with the 316.
What is the actual problem/symptom?

#5 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 2,596 Thanks
  • 4,585 posts

Posted July 15, 2011 - 06:14 AM

Not sure if this will help but when working on newer cars , trucks ect. it's sometimes hard to find things like your brake switch too . I'll go to a parts supplier web site and bring up the part I can't find ( NAPA , GM , Ford ) to get an idea of what I'm looking for . Sometimes they'll show the connectors and wiring too , Al

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 7,378 Thanks
  • 12,584 posts

Posted July 15, 2011 - 07:57 AM

Ok, I took a look at the service manual. On Acrobat page No. 299 (Service Manual page 240-10-3) there is a schematic. Section 240 has all the electrical stuff. There is a description of the starting circuit on 240-15-2. The brake switch if present should be under the right foot rest area. Only 316's Ser. No. 596121 or later have a brake switch.
Let us know what you find.

#7 MowerGang OFFLINE  

MowerGang

• 0 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted July 15, 2011 - 10:38 AM

Dang. I am a complete idiot. My tractor is too early to have a foot switch. I'm such a dumb a$$. But now I've still got a problem.

My tractor doesn't start. Nothing happens. No voltage to the starter when you turn the key to the start position. I tried jumping the solenoid and it does run the starter. I tested the ignition switch and it works properly. I checked the neutral switch and it works. I'm tried to start it at least thirty times and only one time it started and then as soon as I flicked the PTO switch it died and hasn't restart. Any suggestions?

Thanks guys.

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 7,378 Thanks
  • 12,584 posts

Posted July 15, 2011 - 10:57 AM

Yes, The PTO switch has 2 sets of contacts. One set sends power to the clutch and the other set is used to interlock the starting circuit so that the tractor will not start if the PTO is engaged. It is pretty common for the contacts to go.
Do you have the early 316 with the single cylinder Kohler or the later one with the twin?
You should look at the service manual as I indicated above. There is a good description of the starting circuit and the safety interlocks.

#9 MowerGang OFFLINE  

MowerGang

• 0 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted July 18, 2011 - 09:31 AM

Thanks for all of the help everyone. I finally diagnosed the problem. The connector at the starter solenoid was loose and full of dirt. I had been checking voltage at the backside of the connector (by sticking the voltage meter probe in there) but that voltage was not reaching the solenoid itself. I finally just took it apart and cleaned it out. Man, what a pain that was. Thanks to everyone, including JD Brian for helping me along the way! I'll try to repay the favor on this board by helping someone else.

#10 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 7,378 Thanks
  • 12,584 posts

Posted July 18, 2011 - 09:58 AM

Glad to hear you got it sorted out. Bad connections are often a problem on older tractors that have not had any routine maintenance.

#11 David316 OFFLINE  

David316

• Member No: 4976
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted July 20, 2011 - 12:38 PM

Did we ever decide where the brake safety switch was located? I'm looking for mine too....and I know I have one..somewhere.....

#12 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 7,378 Thanks
  • 12,584 posts

Posted July 20, 2011 - 01:36 PM

Did we ever decide where the brake safety switch was located? I'm looking for mine too....and I know I have one..somewhere.....

According to the component location diagram in the service manual it is roughly under the right side where your foot rests. This info. is in the electrical section of the manual right around page 300. You can download the manual from the manuals section of this forum.

#13 David316 OFFLINE  

David316

• Member No: 4976
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted July 20, 2011 - 02:23 PM

I will check it out- thanks!