12 replies to this topic

#1 Tobal OFFLINE  

Tobal

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4710
  • 3 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted July 13, 2011 - 11:45 AM

What do I need? Mainly for gardening and moving some dirt. Maybe 4 or 5 times we get snow enough to use it... if i get a blower or blade for my 990.

Eventaully I'd like AG tires, but that doesn't appear to be straight forward.

http://www.tirechain.../27x9.50x15.htm

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,334 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted July 13, 2011 - 01:02 PM

Actually Ags for the 990 shouldn't be that big a deal. Most advise tubes (good idea) and wheel weights or fill the tubes with windshield washer fluid. If you are using this machine for yard work as well as ground engaging, I would tell you to make gentle turns with ags or chains. Otherwise, you will be tearing up yard some.

#3 Tobal OFFLINE  

Tobal

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted July 13, 2011 - 01:05 PM

Whats ags are people using, sort of confused on finding them.... some guys seemed to get inventive on it.

#4 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted July 13, 2011 - 01:23 PM

A problem getting ag for a 990 is the cost, also I dont know if the 990 rim is wide nough for the only AG i've found.
Site Sponsor Gearworks has a Carlisle Tru Power that is 29.5x12.5-15 that calls for a 10" wide rim. They are 198.99 each. 2 of them plus shipping is going to be more than I paid for the tractor.

Edited by Chuck_050382, July 13, 2011 - 01:48 PM.

#5 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted July 13, 2011 - 01:25 PM

I plan on running tire chains, with filled tires, and I am going to cast some concrete wheel weights.

I may also look into a skid steer tire.

#6 RustyTub OFFLINE  

RustyTub

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2702
  • 25 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted July 13, 2011 - 01:41 PM

I plan on running tire chains, with filled tires, and I am going to cast some concrete wheel weights.

Exactly the same approach I am taking, Plus I already have the tire chains, Going to cast my wheel weights and see how that works. I have been keeping a close eye for some good used ags. May have to buy a whole tractor just for the tires

#7 Tobal OFFLINE  

Tobal

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted July 13, 2011 - 01:51 PM

Skid steer tires seemed to be the the closest fit I cold find. Chuck i'm with you that's just too darn much to pay for tires..... The skid tires look promising just haven't be able to nail any down.

I used to do tire work It's how I made it through college after blowing my scholarship (not one of the proudest moments) I don't think that tire would be any issue on that rim. Especially at speeds under 10 miles an hour, and relatively low tire pressure. I put alot of tires on wheels that were to narrow or to wide. Getting the narrow ones mounted on the wide rims was never fun, and the split rims scared the hell out of me.

#8 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 13, 2011 - 03:33 PM

I read the MTD forum on that other site a lot. One of the Guys on there had put Skid Steer tires on his 990. He said he went into the timber and skidded logs out often through mud holes. He absolutely did not like them and was going to replace them with ags. He said the sidewalls were so stiff he got little flex and they did not bite well.
Maybe a better choice would be a Light Truck Mud & Snow Tire, They would likely cost less and be available at any tire store?

There is also a guy on this site that posts as Zelda who has a nice 990 and I think he has Tru-Powers monted on Ford Truck rims(I think). I don't know if he had to do anything to match the bolt pattern?

I don't have a 990, but it is on my list.

Edited by JD DANNELS, July 13, 2011 - 03:38 PM.

#9 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted July 13, 2011 - 04:00 PM

I read the MTD forum on that other site a lot. One of the Guys on there had put Skid Steer tires on his 990. He said he went into the timber and skidded logs out often through mud holes. He absolutely did not like them and was going to replace them with ags. He said the sidewalls were so stiff he got little flex and they did not bite well.
Maybe a better choice would be a Light Truck Mud & Snow Tire, They would likely cost less and be available at any tire store?

There is also a guy on this site that posts as Zelda who has a nice 990 and I think he has Tru-Powers monted on Ford Truck rims(I think). I don't know if he had to do anything to match the bolt pattern?

I don't have a 990, but it is on my list.

I've seen all that.

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,334 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted July 13, 2011 - 04:59 PM

I didn't realize they were 15", sorry.

Might ask some of the guys who made narrow front end tractors where they got their tires... I think they were 15 or 16" tires.

#11 Tobal OFFLINE  

Tobal

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted July 13, 2011 - 09:03 PM

chains it is for it seems.

#12 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • Member No: 256
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted July 14, 2011 - 12:18 PM

You are entitled to do as you wish but I don't think that you have established a NEED.

If you tried plowing snow with the tires you have and could not find suitable traction, then you have established a NEED for something to solve the problem.

The same is true for whatever you are going to do in your garden. If traction is a problem there TOO.. then why not try adding the heaviest cast iron wheel weights that will fit onto your rims? You would be surprised just how much difference wheel weights can make and if you still have an issue, then loading the tires with RimGuard and/or adding a close-fitting counterweight are other ways to find that elusive traction you desire.

Ag tires are best in soft soils but they are far less effective when blowing or plowing snow. They will slip just a badly as a turf tire does on hard-pack snow and ice. Chains are the only solution for ice and hard pack although some owners have had success with carbide studs in snow tires. Chains will also increase traction in the garden but IMO... adding weight will often negate the need for those pesky chains. IF...... chains are in your future, then go with the 2 -link variety instead of the 4 link. You will find better traction and a slightly smoother ride with them. Ya.... they cost more but they have twice the number of cross chains so what would you expect? LOL

The manufacturers of these tractors were not stupid. They put turf tires on their product because turf tires are the best all-around tire for most people. A pair of ag's will cost you $300.00 unless you run into blem's or a smokin' deal on an off-shore brand. As for skid-steer tires, those are a bad idea. They were developed for the special needs of those compact loaders that steer by sliding the tires on the surface they are sitting on. Regular R-1 tread Ag tires would wear out very rapidly on a skid-steer loader and so the R-4 tread was created. The problem with the R-4 tread is the wide bars that don't get forced into the ground in the same way as the R-1 tread does. These days, it is very tough to find suitable AG tires for 15 and 16 inch rims, especially the 2 ply variety. Four and six ply are more common but give a bit rougher ride due to the heavier sidewall construction. And even if you do put AG's or chains on.... you may find that you will need added weight to make them perform properly for you. See the local Ag dealers in your area. The rims used on GT's have the same centers as the rims used on full size Ag tractors as well as combines and other types of farm equipment. Just the offset is different. But that means you can often use the wheel weights from those other machines because they have the correct bolt pattern for attaching and the correct diameter to fit your rims.

#13 Tobal OFFLINE  

Tobal

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted July 14, 2011 - 01:01 PM

You make great points there is little doubt I don't need them especially as you say since I haven't established a need for them. We have nasty sticky clay so if it's wet I won't be doing much anyway. I figured getting weights would be hard, but sounds like it might not be that difficult... Thanks for the thoughts