• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sportsman70004 OFFLINE  

sportsman70004

• Member No: 4782
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted July 13, 2011 - 10:44 AM

Hello all...great forum here. I have a 1996 Craftsman GT that I got for a 100 bucks when we bought our house...only had 260 hours on it in 2004 when we got it...came with tiller, blade, weights all the trimmings...so it has been a really good tractor....until this summer. It started breaking the hydro drive belt or shredding it. I have used both belts from sears or even autoparts stores...same issue. i have checked all pulleys, guides in tact and working...but i cant figure it out. i have noticed after about 2-3 mows with it that the brake /clutch pedal starts pulsating up and down until the belt either comes off or is puked out the back...any ideas on what im missing?

#2 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,445 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted July 13, 2011 - 11:04 AM

Welcome to GTtalk , don't know anything about your tractor , does it use some kind of tensioner ? Maybe letting the belt slip ? Al

#3 mkasey OFFLINE  

mkasey

• Member No: 6726
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted October 06, 2011 - 02:21 PM

I have the same mower and the same problem. I have 1200 hours on it . Last year I put three belts on it in about two hours of run time. The next belt I put on was one inch shorter. I went from a gates belt 6884 to a 6883 it lasted from last fall til the last day of september, a few days ago. I now have it standing straight up in my shop so that I could get a good look, but I can't see anything wrong and I work with eqt. all of the time. I think I may check the tension on the idler pulleys and see if it seems weak. I really thought that my problem started because of the slack in the belt when I have the clutch peddle pushed in. All pulley guides are in place but I felt like the belt would start off of the pulley when the clutch was in and when I let it out it would finish pulling the belt off of the pulley on the transmission getting it wedged and shredding it. Keep me posted on what you find out and I will let you know what I find out also. I plan on working on it this weekend.

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,233 Thanks
  • 28,597 posts

Posted October 06, 2011 - 09:02 PM

I need both of you guys to check something. The input pulley to the tranny, is there any slop in it?

Also, are you CERTAIN you are on the right side of the guides? The one up front always tries to fool me... Old eyes, you know.

The next thing is the pivot on the tensioning idler bracket (check idlers too).

The pulley can wear out and get slop, they are NLA (I really looked) and you will have to take drastic measures to save or replace. Weird spline count. See old thread HERE

The last time I shredded a belt, I am attributing to alignment of the idlers, a slight bend in the clutch rod, and Murphy.

Edited by MH81, October 06, 2011 - 09:17 PM.

#5 mkasey OFFLINE  

mkasey

• Member No: 6726
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted November 08, 2011 - 12:09 PM

I think I found my problem to be a weak clutch spring. I put a much stouter one on and it seems to be working for now. After about 8 hours of mowing it is still operating fine.