• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 52625 Thanks
  • 53125 posts

Posted June 20, 2018 - 02:20 PM

the yard needed trimmed up. I'm impressed with this weed eater, hasn't failed to start and keeps on running. Had it 2 years and finally had to restring it (0.095"). Got the yard done, then went out back to the 'boneyard'. That was overdue for some trimming. Again, the Stihl did it's job. Kinda proud of myself for doing all this at my age!

• Cvans, LilysDad, TomLGT195 and 4 others have said thanks

#2 Sammoore13bolens1053 OFFLINE  

Sammoore13bolens1053
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 89554
  • 507 Thanks
  • 570 posts

Posted June 20, 2018 - 02:50 PM

the yard needed trimmed up. I'm impressed with this weed eater, hasn't failed to start and keeps on running. Had it 2 years and finally had to restring it (0.095"). Got the yard done, then went out back to the 'boneyard'. That was overdue for some trimming. Again, the Stihl did it's job. Kinda proud of myself for doing all this at my age!

We have begun selling ego over the past year in our buisness, I advise to everyone that you should get one! 5 year warranty on machine, 3 on battery, unbeatable power in the machine with lithium ion battery, and the strimmer head, wow! Push it in one side out the other wind up the head to full with string strimming line and done. Really they’re great
  • KennyP and chieffan have said thanks

#3 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 7963 Thanks
  • 4742 posts

Posted June 20, 2018 - 02:58 PM

I with you Kenny. When I weed whack it is usually a 2-1/2 to 3 hour event. I can go around two full cuttings before re-stringing, oh it is a Poulan Pro. I can do a full cutting on a tank of gas, but I usually top it off and check the string 1/2 way through when taking a break. I wonder if a battery one would last a full 3 hours, and if they are throttleable. I rarely run WOT, more like a fast idle. I hate it when it slings a rock and hit an ankle.  

• KennyP, TomLGT195, chieffan and 1 other said thanks

#4 James Bosma OFFLINE  

James Bosma
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 76126
  • 1932 Thanks
  • 892 posts

Posted June 20, 2018 - 04:13 PM

I have been spoiled over the years

Red-max is the way to go

Mine needs a new fuel tank and I would be back in business

My Red-max is about 20 years old and will still out do many new ones on the market

Would like a brand spanking new one, but close to 1000 Canadian dollars by the time your done at the store

Sthil's are a bit cheaper, 

Personally I would not buy a home owners gas, electric or rechargeable one

I would kill it in the matter of weeks

I'm a WOT kinda guy when it comes to weed eaters, I only have ones with clutches

Commercial ones are the best in my books 

Edited by James Bosma, June 20, 2018 - 04:13 PM.

• KennyP, chieffan and Sammoore13bolens1053 have said thanks

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 52625 Thanks
  • 53125 posts

Posted June 20, 2018 - 04:34 PM

I ran this one at 1/2 throttle most of the time and used maybe a 1/3 of a tank of fuel.Had it for 2 years before respooling the line!

• John Arsenault said thank you

#6 Sammoore13bolens1053 OFFLINE  

Sammoore13bolens1053
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 89554
  • 507 Thanks
  • 570 posts

Posted June 20, 2018 - 04:36 PM

I with you Kenny. When I weed whack it is usually a 2-1/2 to 3 hour event. I can go around two full cuttings before re-stringing, oh it is a Poulan Pro. I can do a full cutting on a tank of gas, but I usually top it off and check the string 1/2 way through when taking a break. I wonder if a battery one would last a full 3 hours, and if they are throttleable. I rarely run WOT, more like a fast idle. I hate it when it slings a rock and hit an ankle.

Depending on the battery, and yes they have variable throttle, but the 7.5ah battery would last about 2.5 hours maybe more probs
  • TomLGT195 and Kmac1 have said thanks

#7 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 9548 Thanks
  • 7290 posts

Posted June 20, 2018 - 04:49 PM

Stihl FS 90

I use the FS 85 engines in my RC airplanes. Been using Stihl products for cutting wood and trimming for years with good luck. Have switched most yard tools to 110v now as they just don't get used enough to keep them in good shape. 

• KennyP and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#8 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 16420 Thanks
  • 9043 posts

Posted June 20, 2018 - 07:35 PM

My Stihl line trimmer is going on 16 years now.  It has had a work out and still does.  I have no idea how many bulk spools of line I have run through it.  It gets run WOT 90% of the time.  That is how they do they job they do.  Made to run that way.  Been through 2 spools of line this season.  Mrs. has a lighter Poulan Pro with 4 lines.  The Stihl puts the Poulan to shame in the amount of work it will do.  Have replaced the primer bulb and fuel lines once since I had it.  Like everything else, there is a trick to using a line trimmer the right and wrong way.  Watch the end of the line where it is cutting, not the head and don't move it like your sweeping a floor.

Edited by chieffan, June 20, 2018 - 07:36 PM.

• KennyP and Cvans have said thanks

#9 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1964 Thanks
  • 986 posts

Posted June 21, 2018 - 05:38 AM

I have always been impressed with the quality and performance of most of stihl products, however i am dissapointed that they do not support there older product lines such as the fs 86 fs106 lines, its impossible to find a new tank once yours in cracked,

• KennyP and Jazz have said thanks

#10 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 2756 Thanks
  • 1585 posts

Posted June 21, 2018 - 01:57 PM

I sold my Stihl F38 weed eater. 3 years of fighting with that POS. Bought a 40V Black and Decker weed whacker
No more issues

Edited by Jazz, June 22, 2018 - 12:38 PM.

• KennyP said thank you

#11 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 11574 Thanks
  • 6736 posts

Posted June 23, 2018 - 04:07 PM

I just bought an fs40c(I think)

It is amazing! Starts first or second pull every time. Love it!!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
  • KennyP said thank you

#12 Kmac1 OFFLINE  

Kmac1
  • Member No: 62275
  • 602 Thanks
  • 252 posts

Posted September 28, 2019 - 03:39 AM

I bought an Ego 56 volt weed eater about 2 years ago on sale for $119.  Took it home and tried it and it did as good a job as the Husqvarna gas weed eater I have and weighs a lot less.  I liked it so well I went back and bought the other one they had left and put it up for a spare.  It is easy to use and easy to restring.  Battery will last 1.5-2.0 hours which is enough to trim around the house and trees.  Since then we have bought Ego hedge trimmer, Ego blower, and Ego chain saw.  

• KennyP said thank you

#13 DChappy OFFLINE  

DChappy
  • Member No: 95182
  • 325 Thanks
  • 225 posts

Posted September 28, 2019 - 04:41 AM

I use the FS 85 engines in my RC airplanes. Been using Stihl products for cutting wood and trimming for years with good luck. Have switched most yard tools to 110v now as they just don't get used enough to keep them in good shape. 

My 20  year old FS85 is still going strong-still looks fairly new!

• KennyP said thank you

#14 DChappy OFFLINE  

DChappy
  • Member No: 95182
  • 325 Thanks
  • 225 posts

Posted September 28, 2019 - 06:44 AM

Those 4-stoke motors have some impressive low end torque!

#15 Dcarr OFFLINE  

Dcarr
  • Member No: 95176
  • 428 Thanks
  • 230 posts

Posted September 28, 2019 - 08:58 AM

I too have an FS90 . I work on other brand 2 stroke string trimmers for friends and it amazes me how many different problems they have . I have only put fuel and string on the Stihl in 8 years of heavy use .

• KennyP said thank you