• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 GeeWhiz_71 OFFLINE  

GeeWhiz_71
  • Member No: 89546
  • 12 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted June 19, 2018 - 04:46 PM

I tried searching the DB forum for this information as I am sure it has been discussed before but since I didn't find it and I am fairly new to the forum I wanted to ask it again.

What row spacing (width in inches) seemed to work best in a vegetable garden (purple hull peas, sweet corn, okra, squash, etc.) to allow you to both straddle row (until plants are too tall or wide) and between row cultivate with the DB? I feel like they would have to be a good bit farther apart than usual to do between row. What have ya'll done in the past? What did work and what didn't?

Thanks is advance for your thoughts and advice!

• chieffan said thank you

#2 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 16390 Thanks
  • 9036 posts

Posted June 19, 2018 - 05:26 PM

I set my row width up according to the tractor and equipment used.  Usually a Brinly cultivator on a Bolens tractor.  I think it is around 26".  Use the same stick every year for the row spacing.  Space the rows according to the equipment you intend to use.  Will vary widely between machines.

• GeeWhiz_71 said thank you

#3 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 9081 Thanks
  • 8325 posts

Posted June 19, 2018 - 08:05 PM

The times I used the DB for between rows was where I had planted squash and straddled the potatoes ,  sorry I don't remember what the spacing was for them . I wonder if there's info listed with the DB seeders ? 

• GeeWhiz_71 said thank you

#4 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9081 Thanks
  • 8325 posts

Posted June 20, 2018 - 05:30 AM

Didn't find anything about row spacing looking at the seeder so far but did find a little more info that you may not have , they list the wheel center to center as 16 1/2" to 24" ,

Attached Files

#5 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9081 Thanks
  • 8325 posts

Posted June 20, 2018 - 05:38 AM

Here's a picture from the cl ad from the 600 I bought , he had a pretty big garden and from the looks had the wheels pulled in as far as they can go .

Attached Thumbnails

• 5Ga5Ef5He3K83Me3N3c657c99021f7e5f1ef3.jpg

#6 GeeWhiz_71 OFFLINE  

GeeWhiz_71
  • 12 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted June 20, 2018 - 08:52 AM

Thanks Alc, for the pdf's and the photo. Looks like you got a good unit on that deal.

I'm thinking it will require rows with around 60" min spacing or higher to be able to between row cultivate after crops such as peas get too tall to straddle row. I visited my parents this past Father's Day weekend and their garden is on 54" row spacing using a "Super A" tractor and I don't think I could get down between their peas at this point even with my wheels pulled all the way in. I ran a Troy Bilt Horse through them and the wheels on it were almost running over some of the lower runners. Unfortunately I don't have one of these to use so I was just wondering what others have used as row spacing if the DB was all they had to use.

#7 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9081 Thanks
  • 8325 posts

Posted June 21, 2018 - 05:32 AM

I didn't space the potatoes , 4 rows , far enough  and now I can't the DB between them and now too tall to straddle them   :wallbanging:  so your right about good planning . Do you plant many rows of the same kind and about how long ? 

#8 GeeWhiz_71 OFFLINE  

GeeWhiz_71
  • 12 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted June 21, 2018 - 09:13 AM

Garden has downsized to only modest size now. Usually only corn and peas are multiple rows and things like okra, peppers, squash, and tomatoes are half rows. Those don't take many plants to make a large amount of crop if the weather cooperates.

I think I will experiment with plenty of space between rows to ensure I can between row cultivate, even mature plants, with the DB and see what happens. It is just a garden after all and not the end of the world if it doesn't work out as the best way. 

• Alc said thank you

#9 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9081 Thanks
  • 8325 posts

Posted June 21, 2018 - 07:57 PM

Finally got a chance to measure the tread center of my DB 600 it’s 24” the same as my Standard Walsh I cultivated the beans with it today and those are 24 on center also used it where I pulled out the spinach and between the beans and tomato frame work

Attached Thumbnails

• 0D53E802-FEB8-4291-BEF3-8460077165F8.jpeg

Edited by Alc, June 21, 2018 - 09:02 PM.

• KennyP and GeeWhiz_71 have said thanks

#10 GeeWhiz_71 OFFLINE  

GeeWhiz_71
  • 12 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted June 22, 2018 - 08:10 AM

It would be so cool to have one of those. No more problems with flat tires for sure. Also looks like a bit more ground clearance than my 575.