• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 19, 2011 - 08:21 AM

There is lots of good information in this thread. I find painting to be the biggest challenge in a project like this. I am very pleased with the surface I have after the Primer/filler. There are a few spots where I missed gouges in the footwell area but other than that the small scratches and rough spots have been filled by the primer. I did use some of the spot putty to fill tiny pin holes in the places where I used Bondo to fill in a couple of major dips in the body work. I'm not that concerned about the footwells being perfectly smooth as I intend to apply truck bed liner or anti slip paint to them and the resulting surface will be rough.
It seems to me that body work is one of those professions where it is a blend of art and science, with technology providing new solutions as time goes by. Tech alone won't make for a good job. It still takes experience and careful preparation to produce a paint job that will not only look good the day after but in the long term. This is all a learning experience for me and although it has been a lot of hard work I hope to come out of it with a decent looking tractor and some experience and knowledge to take forward. Thanks to everyone who has helped out so far.

#18 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted July 19, 2011 - 12:41 PM

Brian,any more questions,ask away. I am far from an expert,but I have been painting for 31 years now.I have never gotten into the "new high tech" paint thought.

#19 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 19, 2011 - 03:31 PM

I got the proper cleaner/degreaser from NAPA. It is made by Dupli Colour which is the brand of primer I am using. I have some pictures. Hopefully this will sooth the ever ravenous for pictures Gary 318. This will give you some idea of what I was dealing with. The before pictures show the mess.
I don't have any photos of it ready to prime. The only area where I did not take off all the paint was under the seat. I removed all the Green and most of the primer coats. In the picture looking towards the back of the fender deck you can see the transitions in the primer on the top where the seat mounts. Another coat will likely fix that. It will be under the seat as well. I decided to take a Vacation day tomorrow so hopefully I will get the next coat of primer on then.

DSCF5999.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF5948.jpg
  • DSCF6002.jpg
  • DSCF5944.jpg
  • DSCF5943.jpg
  • DSCF5946.jpg
  • DSCF6001.jpg
  • DSCF5949.jpg

#20 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 19, 2011 - 03:37 PM

DSCF5954.jpg

Heres a good one. I forgot about this. The PO tried to remove the large instruction decal and then primed it and painted right over it. Twas a real mess!

#21 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 20, 2011 - 01:56 PM

Update. I got a second coat of primer on it today.

#22 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 24, 2011 - 03:34 PM

Put a third coat of dark grey primer on it on the 21'st and today I hit it with the green. I got a couple of sags in it but otherwise it seemed to go on pretty good. 3 cans of Tremclad JD green. My trigger fingers and forearms are still sore! Pictures to follow. I don't want to disturb it until tomorrow.

#23 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted July 24, 2011 - 03:42 PM

I'm sure it will look alright.

#24 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 24, 2011 - 03:50 PM

Maynard, If you check out the pictures above you will see the mess it was in. I didn't see any of the grinder marks or the positions of the decals in the new paint which I feel is pretty good for my first major paint job. How long should I wait until applying decals or waxing the new finish? The rest of the tractor is pretty much ready to go. I figure I'll let it sit for a week before trying to mount it to the chassis. I still have the engine covers to get to as well.