4 replies to this topic

#1 Doug E. ONLINE  

Doug E.
  • Member No: 78641
  • 410 Thanks
  • 212 posts

Posted June 13, 2018 - 11:51 PM

Hi all,

I picked up a used and abused BCS 725 walk behind tractor a couple of years ago that I was told was nonop, and needed a new engine,  It came with a sickle bar as well as the tiller box.  Sickle bar had some broken teeth and was rusty.  I'm sure to the average person it didn't look very encouraging.   

Turns out the kill switch  was out of adjustment on the Acme engine, and I have been using it to till tight places I can't get the Bolens H14.  The Acme engine is not well thought of, but this one is still working well, although it has a couple of quirks, just like the operator.  10hp, btw. 

The brush is encroaching on our yard, and the sickle bar mower looked like just the ticket for the problem.  I discovered that the local farm store had the correct teeth and rivets for this bar, regardless that it was made in Italy.  Go figure!  Removing the rivet heads on the broken teeth and punching out the rest of the rivet was easier than I expected, as was riveting in the new teeth.  I ended up just peening them over with a ball peen hammer.  I sharpened the rest of the old teeth with a grinding wheel in my dremel tool.  I had thought of taking some pics, but the job went too fast!

The handle bars swivel around 180 degrees to run the PTO forward, or they should if the joint is not rusty.  The extension handle for the PTO engagement and gear shift for ground speed also swivel around.  The PTO engagement has a mechanical lock out to prevent the tractor being engaged to go in reverse while the tiller box is running.  This was rusty and would not turn, giving me no forward motion with the PTO engaged.  After several days of soaking, it consented to move this evening. 

This tractor with the mower is one cutting machine!  It has no problem with the 4' high brush what so ever, and I discovered afterwards that it had clipped off a fir that was 1.5" in diameter. 

I have needed to clear brush back for a larger firebreak, and looks like I have the tool to do that.  We should have a good sized pile for a fire come winter. 

I have to give a big thumbs up on this tractor mower combination!

Getting this tractor and mower running also helps reduce the resistance to my dragging home some broken piece of rust that I actually paid money for!  ; )  she really has been pretty patient, even though this is out of her realm of experience.  No one in her family fixed anything!

Regards,

Doug

• Alc, KennyP and propane1 have said thanks

#2 lrhredjb OFFLINE  

lrhredjb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3984
  • 922 Thanks
  • 689 posts

Posted June 14, 2018 - 06:40 AM

We would like to see some pics. Sounds like a diamond in the rough.

• KennyP and farmer john have said thanks

#3 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,871 Thanks
  • 938 posts

Posted June 14, 2018 - 10:08 AM

I agree! sounds like something i would beinterested in also. pics please and possibly some of the cutting you have done so i can get an idea . thanks John

#4 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 11,760 Thanks
  • 7,276 posts

Posted June 14, 2018 - 02:28 PM

You have one heck of a machine there.  I have had one for about 17+ years now.  Make sure you keep that Acme engine on level ground as they won't take hardly any side tilt without blowing (I know)  Put a Briggs 10 on mine with the adapter and different clutch.  You might want to pick up an extra drive block for that bar mower.  They have a tendency to break once in a while and never when it is close to the shop.  Don't run it to fast either, a good fast idle is fast enough for most cutting.  I have the snow thrower, tiller, 42" bar mower and a blade for mine.  I love the tiller between rows of garden crops as the sides keep it from throwing dirt on the lettuce, cabbage, etc.  Enjoy your new machine, learn to let it do the work and don't fight it which is easy to do.

• KennyP and Doug E. have said thanks

#5 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 5,482 Thanks
  • 4,736 posts

Posted June 14, 2018 - 06:29 PM

:picsoritsnotyours: