im a newbie that needs some advice

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 papuller95 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 4793
  • 0 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted July 13, 2011 - 04:58 PM

i am working on more money, and a job i already mow lawns and have more things than the average 15 year old ( i pay for, fix, or pay to get fixed) so im not the average lazy teenager. but its going to be budget build for sure.

#17 caseguy OFFLINE  

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted July 13, 2011 - 05:05 PM

It's great to see the ambition in one so young papuller! Working within a budget is always a good idea. Just remember that doing it right once is often cheaper than doing it over. Good luck!

#18 hydriv OFFLINE  

• Validating
  • Member No: 256
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted July 14, 2011 - 10:30 AM

Excuse me if I am sticking my long rodent nose in here but since this discussion is primarily about Cub Cadet issues and not Pulling issues, I am wondering why the Mods have not moved it to the CC forum where it will get more attention?

papuller..... Kohler K engines do not have con rods with insert bearings unless someone pays a machine shop to make that happen. You will have to follow the Kohler manual and carefully dismantle your engine to the bare block. Then you need to take the block, head, crankshaft and camshaft to a local machine shop that is experienced in rebuilding Kohler K engines. That past experience is important so don't give it to someone that has never done one of these engines before or you will end up paying for their learning curve. The machine shop will inspect and measure all of these parts to determine what needs to be done to them. If the cylinder is out of round or tapered, then the block will need to be bored out oversize. If the rod journal on the crank is worn or scored, then the crank will have to be cut in a special lathe and then re-balanced after polishing. The top of the block and the underside of the head may need to be ground slightly to make them perfectly flat so you don't have head gasket failures.

The valves and valve seats will have to be inspected. Perhaps just a simple valve grind will solve the problem or maybe you will need new valves and/or seats. The valve guides are also checked for wear to see if they need replacing. Most likely, you will have to buy a new piston, rings, wrist pin and connecting rod plus gaskets. If your engine has a counter-balancer.... then you either remove those gears permanently or you put brand new ones in. The governor gear should also be replaced as a precaution. I tell you all of this because you need to go into this process with your eyes wide open. Knowing in advance what your worst-case-scenario costs might be will allow you to properly plan for the funds needed to conduct a fairly quick but thorough rebuild of your engine. This is no different than what you face in school. Study hard. Know the topic backward and forward and then you will be ready for the test.

Kohler rebuild kits can be bought from e-Bay Sellers. I suggest that you go there and check. Use the e-Bay feedback ratings to guide you.

#19 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,340 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted July 14, 2011 - 06:13 PM

i was looking at those manuals and my cub is one of the years with no headlights, do you off hand know what year? thanks.

The 126 was part of the last series of what is known as "Narrow Frame" Cub Cadets. They were manufactured between 1969 and 1971. If you can post the number on the foil tag on back of the tranny by the drawbar I can tell you the year and month it was made. The six models in that series were the 73,106,126,107,127,and 147. The first three were gear drive models and the second three were hydrostatic drive models. The first number in the model denotes the engine horsepower. So respectivelythat series had a 7hp, two 10hps, two 12hps, and a 14hp model. As far as lights are concerned they were still an option on this series. These can be procured through auction sites like Ebay or from people that specialize in Cub Cadet parts. Good luck with it, they are good little tractors.