13 replies to this topic

#1 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 13,684 Thanks
  • 9,473 posts

Posted June 12, 2018 - 07:08 PM

My MTD 1200 had problems this spring and I finally fixed them yesterday. I mowed the yard but was left with a lot of hay. I went to our transfer station to get rid of our trash and catch up on the Town news. I also got a heavy duty pallet from the swap shed. I pulled a nice 8" wheel and tire from a bin.  While talking to the operator, a woman came up with a new in the box 4' florescent light fixture that became mine. Then a guy with a trailer pulled in and I acquired a nice Brinley lawn sweeper and a taping bench. This all bearly fit in the van but I made it home. The sweeper will clean the lawn. The tire(which is still holding air) is needed on my log splitter. The light is needed in my garage. The taping bench should help when I do some painting later this year. It never fails to surprise me when I find what I need at the transfer station. Good Luck, Rick

SD531602.JPG

• DMAX, Alc, KennyP and 5 others have said thanks

#2 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 11,756 Thanks
  • 7,275 posts

Posted June 12, 2018 - 07:16 PM

One mans trash - another mans treasurer.  Looks like you scored out A + +

• Alc, boyscout862, WNYTractorTinkerer and 3 others have said thanks

#3 Mark 149 J. OFFLINE  

Mark 149 J.

Mark J.

• Member No: 78623
  • 2,905 Thanks
  • 1,616 posts

Posted June 12, 2018 - 07:25 PM

nice score!

• boyscout862 and Reed Breneman have said thanks

#4 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 11,104 Thanks
  • 6,469 posts

Posted June 12, 2018 - 07:35 PM

Left to get rid of trash came back with trash!

Kidding but that's what my wife would say
  • KennyP, boyscout862 and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#5 cootertom OFFLINE  

cootertom
  • Member No: 59950
  • 1,644 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted June 12, 2018 - 07:36 PM

Sweeper works on the leaves also. Have one just like it.
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#6 tractorskipper OFFLINE  

tractorskipper
  • Member No: 25019
  • 653 Thanks
  • 393 posts

Posted June 12, 2018 - 09:31 PM

Around here, no such facility.  Stuff goes right in the dump & covered every day.  You are lucky!

• KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#7 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,290 Thanks
  • 2,318 posts

Posted June 13, 2018 - 02:33 PM

What's this??

whats this.jpg

#8 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • 13,684 Thanks
  • 9,473 posts

Posted June 13, 2018 - 03:15 PM

What's this??

attachicon.gifwhats this.jpg

A freebie Broadmoor that I picked up a couple of months ago. Going to use it for parts to fix up the other one I have. Look up the thread from when I got it. Strange wheel weights on the back. Good Luck, Rick

#9 jabelman ONLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 1,641 posts

Posted June 13, 2018 - 04:09 PM

Looks like you have alot of projects
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#10 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,848 Thanks
  • 8,035 posts

Posted June 13, 2018 - 08:40 PM

Okay, explain "Transfer Station" to me!  Thought diff name for dump, but now maybe not??? S'plain it!

• DMAX said thank you

#11 jabelman ONLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 1,641 posts

Posted June 13, 2018 - 09:02 PM

Okay, explain "Transfer Station" to me! Thought diff name for dump, but now maybe not??? S'plain it!

It's a place in between, garbage trucks unload and it's then sorted to recycle or landfill. other trucks then haul it away.

#12 JBRamsey ONLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 1,591 Thanks
  • 886 posts

Posted June 13, 2018 - 10:59 PM

Transfer stations are used to keep the collection trucks from driving all the way to the landfill. Then they use tractors with dump trailers to move the garbage to the landfill. It keeps the $500,000 refuse trucks collecting trash and not running back and forth to the landfill.

#13 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • 13,684 Thanks
  • 9,473 posts

Posted June 14, 2018 - 06:52 PM

Okay, explain "Transfer Station" to me!  Thought diff name for dump, but now maybe not??? S'plain it!

Our transfer station is for residents with light vehicles only. The commercial garbage trucks take their loads directly to the incinerator about 15 miles away. Our transfer station separates the waste into the following categories:  household garbage, recycling(cans, bottles, plastics, paper, and cardboard), bulky waste (most items that don't fit into the other categories), scrap metal, electronics, refrigeration, and waste fluids. Each category has its own collection container. A contractor removes the container when it is full. The town gets paid for the scrap metal and recyclables. This is the least expensive way for CT towns to get rid of waste. Most of the landfills were forced to close in the 1980s and 1990s by the Dept. of Environmental Protection. We have a garbage burning power generation plant about 15 miles away and a waste wood burning power plant about 20 miles away. We had a tire burning plant but it closed. 

At one corner of the center is a shed to collect waste oil and antifreeze. Attached to it is the "swap shed". If you have something useable that you don't want, put it into the swap shed. If you want something in there, take it. Shop lifting is encouraged and it has a no question return policy. It is amazing what people put into the shed. One day I got a tool box with 6 new in the box air tools(including a 1/2" impact wrench). The guy told me that they were his FILs' and he had just passed away. This guy had no intention of ever getting his hands dirty so the tools were of no value to him. I thanked him and told him that they were going to a good home and would be exercised regularly.

Good Luck, Rick

#14 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 11,104 Thanks
  • 6,469 posts

Posted June 14, 2018 - 07:34 PM

Our landfill is a transfer station now. When I was a kid it was a real land fill. Now you back up to a ledge and throw your stuff down into a tractor trailer. They have a compactor above the trailer.

It's gotten expensive. For 5 years or so it always cost me 15 bucks for my ranger piled full. Last time it was 20.25 for the same load! They want 20 dollars extra for beds...