Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Tecumseh Ssi Coil System Conversion (Chrysler Ignition)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted July 11, 2011 - 08:21 PM

** This is an old thread that I decided to archive here for anyone that may need to access it. :wave:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, tonight I installed the Chrysler Ignition Conversion to run an external coil with one of Ed Stoller's modified stock coil units. On this tractor, it was completely rewired with the exception of the voltage regulator. On a simple tractor, it is rather easy with some basic skills. For me, it took me the entire evening to do it, but that was being fussy and using soldered connections and heat shrink tubing. Most of that was just finding out where and how to mount everything to the tractor. I had to take my coil bracket and cut the tab of of one side and make a new one that faced the other way. This was the trick needed to fit the coil and hold it with one bolt under the starter solenoid.

This is where I mounted the ignition coil. It allows the best amount of room mounted there was no drilling needed. You will need a bracket that both tabs bolt under one bolt. I think you can find another clamp that will fit, or weld on a new tab as I did. (I later painted the coil and bracket flat black.) It appears to be touching stuff, but it has room all around the coil.

SSI-7.jpg
image.jpg

It does look tight, and it is... but everything can be installed with plenty of room to clear. I am very happy with how the coil fit in this spot.

SSI-9.jpg
image.jpg

(Update, this is the location I used on the second one I converted. (My 1971 Hydro)
I decided to mount the coil on the outside of the tractor, but with a nice new coil and chrome clamp, it looks sweet here. This photo was taken in the "mock up / testing stage" and the wires are test leads. When the harness is made, they will be ring terminals that are soldered and heat shrink wrapped.

12h-ssi-2.jpg
image.jpg

Now onto the other components... The module is a natural fit on the left side of the dash tower and has easy access to the ignition switch. I also found that if you remove the upper bracket for the dash tower, you can easily drill a hole and it's a perfect spot if you require a ballast resistor. Also seen in this photo, is the replacement fuse holder to use a modern blade fuse. This replaces the fuse holder near the solenoid. I plan to remove the entire harness and tape it up once I know everything is working properly. The wire ties are temp's to keep things neat as I wired.

SSI-12.jpg
image.jpg

(Update, this is the location I used on the second one I converted. (My 1971 Hydro)
Again, note the use of test leads. In the final wire, I was able to source the original wire harness from a 1970's Chrysler product. This will give the all the wire that leaves the control box, and the factory plug to the control box. It should look sweet!

12h-ssi-4.jpg
image.jpg

I used a trick of running the wires through a hose out to the headlights and added some clamps to the motor and a nice plug at the hood hinge. This way I can unbolt the hood and just unplug the harness. I have to finish the lamp wiring and the bracket still. I also need to pick up a grommet for the wire going down to the coil pack. I have some hose in there for now.

SSI-19.jpg
image.jpg

Note the plug for the headlight's. These can be bought at Radio Shack as bare plugs and terminals. Just crimp, solder, and push them into the new plugs. It leaves a nice clean job when you are done. (Plus, hood removal is a snap!)
SSI-17.jpg
[image.jpg

So there you go... When tested, you should get a spark fire at the plug when the key is turned on. This system has worked flawless for a year and a half at the time of this post.

(Edit: Here is a nice photo of the hydro conversion backed off a little bit.)
12h-ssi-6.jpg
image.jpg

Just to note, on the hydro tractor, I plan to run a GM alternator. Due to this, I have removed the voltage regulator from the stock location and placed the ignition module in it's location. You can move either one of them control boxes, although a re-wire would be needed for the voltage regulator making the ignition control box the candidate. I am almost positive there is room inside the dash tower on the hydro tractors, but the gear tractors will not have enough space.

To see detailed instructions on how these are wires, and to contact Ed Stoller for a conversion, his website is here: Tecumseh Solid State Ignitions Replacement

• MH81, coldone, LUKEW and 5 others have said thanks

#2 xrman2 OFFLINE  

xrman2

• Member No: 4673
  • 3 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted June 10, 2012 - 09:58 PM

Where do I find more info on this kit? Thanks

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,243 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted June 11, 2012 - 04:47 AM

Here is a link to Ed's site. Many or most of the stuff you can make, but I believe he is still offering kits. His email addy is at the bottom of the page.

http://home.earthlink.net/~edstoller/

#4 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 881 Thanks
  • 763 posts

Posted May 23, 2013 - 06:52 AM

Vary nice work, neat and clean! Reminds me that I still need to learn more patience. Just don't tell my wife, I keep telling her I've got all I need lol

#5 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted May 31, 2013 - 07:29 PM

Thank you!  Wiring is very easy if you take your time and do a nice job... you will be rewarded in the end!  I first did the 12G three (maybe four) years ago, and to date I have not touched the ignition and she starts like a champ!  I used the tractor for mowing and snow removal, so it runs under all weather conditions too.

#6 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted June 01, 2013 - 12:17 PM

Thanks so much for this info. I really like the way you re-wired everything...so neat & tucked away. I will be doing this soon on my MF 12.

• FirefyterEmt and JBRamsey have said thanks