• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 41,448 Thanks
  • 47,379 posts

Posted June 09, 2018 - 03:15 PM

I started a thread here on this as I thought I needed a repower. This morning, I tore the engine down and found the top of the crank was tight in the block. No bearing up there, aluminum to steel. Took a brake cylinder hone to the block and some Emory to the crank. It's good to go as far as I am concerned. I'll need new crank seals, pan gasket, head gasket, and the oil filler grommet. Otherwise, it's going back as it was.

My concern now is the 90° gearbox and chain drive. Any way to lube them? It's just below the gas tank and the chain drive runs down the side from there.

DSCN3959.JPG

• olcowhand, Leonard VanCamp and chieffan have said thanks

#2 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 9,726 Thanks
  • 4,509 posts

Posted June 09, 2018 - 04:04 PM

With out seeing it its hard to say, but does the gearbox have a cover that can come off to get grease in. Or can you drill a 1/8 hole in it and squeeze some grease in. Put a rubber o ring over the hole, press the grease gun nozzle on the o ring and squeeze grease in. Just a thought. 

Noel 

Edited by propane1, June 09, 2018 - 04:06 PM.

• KennyP and chieffan have said thanks

#3 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 41,448 Thanks
  • 47,379 posts

Posted June 09, 2018 - 04:19 PM

With out seeing it its hard to say, but does the gearbox have a cover that can come off to get grease in. Or can you drill a 1/8 hole in it and squeeze some grease in. Put a rubber o ring over the hole, press the grease gun nozzle on the o ring and squeeze grease in. Just a thought. 

Noel 

I have not seen a way to add lube other that the Neutral start switch opening! I have no idea on what it needs nor fill level!

• chieffan said thank you

#4 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 9,726 Thanks
  • 4,509 posts

Posted June 09, 2018 - 04:29 PM

As far as I know only two or three shots of grease. When they heat up, they will push the grease out the seals. but I would also put a shot or two of oil in first to help get the grease moving around, probably never lubed, so probably very dry in there. 

Noel

• KennyP and chieffan have said thanks

#5 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 41,448 Thanks
  • 47,379 posts

Posted June 09, 2018 - 04:35 PM

As far as I know only two or three shots of grease. When they heat up, they will push the grease out the seals. but I would also put a shot or two of oil in first to help get the grease moving around, probably never lubed, so probably very dry in there. 

Noel

The owners manual does not address these two areas at all! That's why I am asking. I may pull the Neutral switch and squirt some heavy lube in there!

• olcowhand, propane1 and chieffan have said thanks

#6 GardnMastr OFFLINE  

GardnMastr
  • Member No: 85758
  • 416 Thanks
  • 212 posts

Posted June 09, 2018 - 07:08 PM

John Deere cornhead grease comes in a standard grease gun cartridge. It something like halfway between grease gun grease and 90w oil. It is a flowable, non channeling grease. The next “wetter”, but not quite oil is cotton picker spindle grease. I don’t know Sae or technical specs. The transmission, chain drive, and differential are permanently lubed, but adding a little wouldn’t hurt.
  • KennyP, Trav1s and propane1 have said thanks

#7 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 41,448 Thanks
  • 47,379 posts

Posted June 10, 2018 - 12:44 PM

John Deere cornhead grease comes in a standard grease gun cartridge. It something like halfway between grease gun grease and 90w oil. It is a flowable, non channeling grease. The next “wetter”, but not quite oil is cotton picker spindle grease. I don’t know Sae or technical specs. The transmission, chain drive, and differential are permanently lubed, but adding a little wouldn’t hurt.

Is this what it looks like? I pulled the Neutral switch and stuck a piece of wire down in there and this was on it when I pulled it out.

DSCN3972.JPG     DSCN3973.JPG

I've been busy this morning. Wire brushed the battery box and got a coat of Rust Reformer on it.

DSCN3971.JPG

The screen over the flywheel was not stock and had too big of holes for me. The fins under the cylinder were full of crap and the only way to get the underside one off is to pull the engine. So I made a new screen.

DSCN3970.JPG

Then I went to work on the head. Wire brushed it first.

DSCN3965.JPG     DSCN3966.JPG

Got out the glass and some 400 grit sandpaper. Tape was to hold it there for the pic.

DSCN3967.JPG

Worked it some and found the high points. With a straight edge, I saw this would take a lloonngg while with just sandpaper, so I got out my air die-grinder and a brown scotch-brite pad. Used it to 'ease' off the excess in the high spots (did this a lot in aircraft).

DSCN3968.JPG

After a lot more motion on the sandpaper, I think this will work fine.

DSCN3969.JPG

• olcowhand, TomLGT195, propane1 and 1 other said thanks

#8 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 43,118 Thanks
  • 31,998 posts

Posted June 10, 2018 - 10:58 PM

Looking good Kenny! That gearbox grease looks a lot like what's used in cheaper transaxles.
  • KennyP said thank you

#9 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 41,448 Thanks
  • 47,379 posts

Posted June 11, 2018 - 04:19 AM

Looking good Kenny! That gearbox grease looks a lot like what's used in cheaper transaxles.

Trying to figure out what would be a good lube to add to it. What do you think?

#10 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 43,118 Thanks
  • 31,998 posts

Posted June 11, 2018 - 02:51 PM

Trying to figure out what would be a good lube to add to it. What do you think?

I think it's hard to get that stuff to mix, but if me, I'd put some 140 gear oil with it. Even if it resisted mixing, there would be lube getting to everything.
  • KennyP said thank you

#11 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 41,448 Thanks
  • 47,379 posts

Posted June 11, 2018 - 03:31 PM

I think it's hard to get that stuff to mix, but if me, I'd put some 140 gear oil with it. Even if it resisted mixing, there would be lube getting to everything.

That's what I am thinking, Daniel! Something is better than nothing. I've posted this question on a JD site and no answer. Guess no one knows what they used!

• olcowhand said thank you

#12 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 41,448 Thanks
  • 47,379 posts

Posted June 12, 2018 - 02:11 PM

I'm waiting for gaskets to arrive now!

• olcowhand said thank you

#13 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 41,448 Thanks
  • 47,379 posts

Posted June 14, 2018 - 07:18 AM

I did put about a half cup of 85-140W in the gear box. Better to have something in there that will lube things!

#14 GardnMastr OFFLINE  

GardnMastr
  • Member No: 85758
  • 416 Thanks
  • 212 posts

Posted June 15, 2018 - 05:25 PM

I think the original grease from Tecumseh Peerless was called Bentonite. If the gear oil gets past the seals or ends up on the floor, use the cornhead grease. I still am employed at the JD dealership for more than 32 years now.
  • olcowhand and KennyP have said thanks

#15 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 11,106 Thanks
  • 6,470 posts

Posted June 15, 2018 - 10:03 PM

Peerless also sold a bentonite grease. It's super heat resistant and almost impossible to mix with water.

Not sure what it mixes with. Being a clay based grease I cant imagine any petroleum product would mix with it.
  • olcowhand and KennyP have said thanks