• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • Member No: 13665
  • 871 Thanks
  • 705 posts

Posted June 09, 2018 - 01:49 PM

While my wife and I have a nice little G scale layout, we are starting the process of a 7.5 gauge, 1 1/2 inch scale railroad in our back yard.   Just received our locomotive yesterday.   Nice little GE 25 tonner made by Railroad Supply Company.  Powered by a Kohler K91T engine and Eaton Hydrostatic transmission with chain drive down to a gear box on one axle, then a second chain connects the 2 axles together.  LED headlight and sequencing beacon light on the cab roof.  The battery is just for the lights and horn, engine is magnito ignition and lacks any charging system. The lever out the back controls the hydro direction and throttle at the same time, so the RPM's of the engine increase as the hydro control calls for motion.  We will start laying track soon for small loop.      

CBQ.jpg

CBQ1.jpg

• grnspot110, KennyP, Cvans and 9 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 41,448 Thanks
  • 47,379 posts

Posted June 09, 2018 - 03:21 PM

That'll be a cool toy! Will it plow? LOL

• chieffan said thank you

#3 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • 871 Thanks
  • 705 posts

Posted June 09, 2018 - 03:28 PM

I suspect it would push some snow if fitted with a plow on the nose.  It weighs about 150 pounds or so.  

• KennyP, Leonard VanCamp and chieffan have said thanks

#4 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 11,106 Thanks
  • 6,470 posts

Posted June 09, 2018 - 03:54 PM

Is there a car behind it you can ride on to control it?
  • chieffan said thank you

#5 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Anything Red . . .

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 14,297 Thanks
  • 10,282 posts

Posted June 09, 2018 - 07:22 PM

It looks brand new, but the K91 makes me think not.

#6 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • 871 Thanks
  • 705 posts

Posted June 16, 2018 - 07:02 PM

They made these up to just a couple years ago, Apparently Kohler had a small stash of these K91T engines in a warehouse.  Granted at the cost these sold for, there are not loads of them out there.  When the supply of engines dried up from Kohler and everything new in this HP range has a slanted cylinder, which will not fit in the cab of the model anymore.  So they redesigned the model to use an electric motor mounted in the frame to drive both axles with 2 deep cycle batteries where the gas engine and hydrostatic pump used to be.  My engine has 7.2 hours on the use meter.  So basiclly brand new and not even broken in yet.   Yes you ride on a car behind the engine that either has a narrow bench with running boards, or flat car with a pair of boat seats mounted to it.  The lever controls the hydrostatic trans and throttle at the same time.  At the top of the green ball shape grip is a button for the horn, and below the ball know are 2 micro switches, one for the headlight and the other turns on the signal beacon light on the roof.  

• toomanytoys84 said thank you