Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Difference between Lowes/HomeDepot and JD Dealer tractors?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 geekdisk OFFLINE  

geekdisk

• Member No: 4788
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted July 11, 2011 - 07:25 PM

Can some one help explain the differences between the John Deere tractors listed on the JohnDeere.com website and those found at Home Depot and Lowes? There is obviously a difference in quality, but it's not clear what exactly is the difference. thanks!

#2 Gary400 OFFLINE  

Gary400

JD,junkie

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2316
  • 225 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted July 11, 2011 - 07:57 PM

theres nothin wrong with the quality of the lowes and home depot there just made with very light stamped metal frames . i had a L130 and mowed 4 acres with it for 4 years with out one problem .it was a good MOWER and you can buy them at your JD dealer also .
  • Alc said thank you

#3 Tmo OFFLINE  

Tmo

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2023
  • 356 Thanks
  • 486 posts

Posted July 12, 2011 - 06:03 AM

Which models are you referring to? Both the D series and the X series models are listed on the Deere site. The D series is sold at both the box stores and JD dealers. Those models are the same wherever you buy them. The price is also the same as that was part of the agreement Deere made to the box stores to let the box stores sell them.

The X-series is a significant step up in a lot of features. Thicker, stronger frames, better paint process, steel supports for the steering columns, better engines, more features and options. Compare a D series side by side with an X-series, and you will see the difference. Drive them and you will feel the difference.
  • Alc said thank you

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 12, 2011 - 10:09 AM

Within the JD lawn and garden tractor lineup the strength and features increase as you pay more. You need to be honest with your expectations and get good advise from an experienced salesman. If I were buying a JD I would go to the dealer even if buying a model sold at the box store. An experienced salesman will listen to your requirements and recommend a tractor model. Even within the D series there may be differences that could be important, like for instance a stronger transmission when you go to a certain model. Deere also has financing options that may allow you to go to a more powerful tractor. The biggest mistake people make is buying too little tractor and then being disappointed with it.

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,639 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted July 12, 2011 - 03:48 PM

The biggest mistake people make is buying too little tractor and then being disappointed with it.

That is VERY true! Just like with people getting into motorcycles. They will get an entry level 250cc bike, then within a month they are ready for an 1100+. The 250 is now worth half what they just paid for it! Same with garden tractors.

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 12, 2011 - 06:41 PM

That is VERY true! Just like with people getting into motorcycles. They will get an entry level 250cc bike, then within a month they are ready for an 1100+. The 250 is now worth half what they just paid for it! Same with garden tractors.

I did that. My first tractor was a JD LT160. I had a plow on the front for my 300ft driveway. Any more than a couple of inches of wet heavy snow and it was a no go. The difference with the JD was that I got nearly all my money back when I traded it for a X475 the next year with a larger 54" blade for plowing snow.Three years later I traded that in for the 2320 which is 4wd and can use the same 54" blade. Now I have something heavy enough to get up my hill even with wet heavy snow. Again I got good trade value for the JD.

#7 geekdisk OFFLINE  

geekdisk

• Member No: 4788
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted July 13, 2011 - 08:29 AM

Thanks for all the helpful advice. I can see how it's easy to get less tractor than you will end up needing. Trick there sounds like finding the right dealer with experience that will steer you right.

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 13, 2011 - 09:52 AM

Thanks for all the helpful advice. I can see how it's easy to get less tractor than you will end up needing. Trick there sounds like finding the right dealer with experience that will steer you right.

A good dealer is important. In my case I just didn't realize how much I would use a tractor and how much I would enjoy it. Don't overlook the used market. You can sometimes save literally thousands on a used tractor. The trick is to find one that has been well maintained.

#9 Tmo OFFLINE  

Tmo

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2023
  • 356 Thanks
  • 486 posts

Posted July 13, 2011 - 11:43 AM

Your local JD dealer may have some used tractors in. I would go there and if he's a good dealer, he will put you in a machine that will suit your needs, either used or new.

#10 scucci OFFLINE  

scucci

• Member No: 2555
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted July 15, 2011 - 07:16 AM

Do the warranties then differ? Can you take JD from say Lowe's or HD to a JD dealer?

#11 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 15, 2011 - 08:02 AM

As far as I know the JD dealer does all the service on the tractors sold at HD. I think the warranties are the same. You may not be able to buy the extended warranties at HD, I'm not sure. I think you have a better chance of getting what you want at the dealer. They can get all the options and attachments and will likely make you a deal if you order them with the tractor.

#12 Sergeant OFFLINE  

Sergeant

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4149
  • 44 Thanks
  • 135 posts

Posted July 15, 2011 - 10:27 AM

Warranties are the same no matter where your Deere weather it Home Depot,Lowes or a Deere dealer as Far as Service Goes It might behoove you to buy from a dealer Because I have nown some dealers To treat You a little diffrently Like Putting your machine at the Bottom of the list to be fixed over customers who bought from them when they found out you bought it at a Box store. Then other who don't care where you bought it There just glad to have you as a Customer:smile1:

#13 MowerGang OFFLINE  

MowerGang

• Member No: 4688
  • 0 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted July 18, 2011 - 09:37 AM

Don't be afraid to buy a used tractor. If you buy carefully, you can use it for a while, see if you like it and if you want to upgrade, you can sell it for what you paid. Financially, it can be like a free trial.

#14 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 18, 2011 - 10:09 AM

One other benefit of buying used is you can often get attachments with the tractor at a big discount over buying new. So if you need a tiller or snowblower, for instance, finding a used setup will save you big$$.

#15 SkaneatelesGT235 OFFLINE  

SkaneatelesGT235

• Member No: 4994
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted July 21, 2011 - 12:23 PM

My two-cents worth. It's my understanding that some of the big-box John Deere products aren't designed for the same level of owner maintenance as those sold by the John Deere dealer. The ability, and ease of, changing one's own oil should be a given (even if you have a dealer, or local small-engine maintenance activity, perform the service), but other areas might invite questions. My father-in-law's big-box J-D didn't have any grease fittings on the mower deck blade spindles, and it cost him a few bucks extra to have them installed so he could lubricate them each year with a grease gun. My GT235 (from a J-D dealer) has a hydrostatic transmission, and the manual recommends the fluid be changed at each 250 hour point (the mower HAS an hour-meter). And, the transmission is actually set up so I can do the change. It's my belief that those units from the big-box places either have lighter duty transmissions, and may not be designed for owner maintenance (or maintenance by anyone, other than replacement). Also, my GT235 has a 54" mower deck that's fairly quick and easy to drop and pull-out from under the tractor so I can scrape out all the wet grass that stuck to the underside of the deck, and/or change the blades. (I usually keep two sets of blades - one on the tractor, and one that I sharpen up so they're ready to go). So that's my quick summary - the big-box units tend to use life-time (non regreaseable) bearings wherever they can get away with it, you might not be able to change the hydrostatic transmission fluid, and the deck might take longer to drop out and pull out for annual (or more often) maintenance. Just some things to think of.