Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

How much difference will an inch of tire make?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 11, 2011 - 02:47 PM

My Murray has 23X9.50X12 tires, they seem to be pretty scarce.
23X10.50X12 seems to be pretty common.
I seem to have plenty of clearance would I be making a mistake to go to the more common size?
I'm planning to set this up with a sleeve hitch and do ground engagement work in my garden next spring.

#2 caseguy OFFLINE  

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted July 11, 2011 - 03:12 PM

A lot depends on the manufacturer. The same marked size tire from two different manufacturers can vary greatly in actual size. Do some comparison shopping and ask about specific tires from people who actually have a set.

#3 ducky OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,533 Thanks
  • 3,781 posts

Posted July 11, 2011 - 03:22 PM

They should both have a 23" OD jut a tad bit wider. But this can vary between MFGs.

#4 hydriv OFFLINE  

• Validating
  • Member No: 256
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted July 11, 2011 - 04:47 PM

Clearance has two issues, not one. First of all, you have the diameter or height of the tire and that will affect the clearance between the tread of the tire and the underside of any fender that covers it. The 2nd clearance issue has to do with how close the sidewall of the tire is to any part of the tractor. Since this is more about how FAT your new tire will be compared to the OEM tire, that would be the clearance issue to check out. If you intend to run chains on these tires in the winter, then you have to factor those into this equation.

If you intend to use a turning plow in your garden, I'd be thinking about going to 8:50's in an AG bar tread tire. Depending on how much "bottom" you intend to pull, the narrower 850 may work in the furrow better than the 1050's. Bigger is not always better.

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 11, 2011 - 06:49 PM

That is a good point. I have 3 " to the fender flange, 3" inside to nearest part of the frame. 4" to the carriage wheel on the mower and 2 3/4 inches to the nearest flange on the back of the mower. I had not considered that a narrower tire might be a better match to a turning plow?
In fact I had not been able to find one in this area used and was considering an alternative.
I was considering making a toolbar and using cultivator shoes or scarifier teeth as a ripper plow instead.
By using the toolbar I could also use it to make raised beds, hill potatoes and corn etc. along with cultivating.
I also have a B olens front tine tiller(2yrs old) I consider too light and unmanageable for hand work, and was thinking of mounting it to the tractor to tame the jump. I bought it on a whim and have regretted it since, but since I have it why not use it.
This year I have run a 5000 sq ft garden with a Troy built walking tiller and hand tools.
I'm trying to make things easier and less manual labor.

• Member No: 4343
  • 409 Thanks
  • 482 posts

Posted July 12, 2011 - 12:26 AM

Hydriv is correct, the narrow 23 8.50 will plow better and the 10.50 will disc better because of better floatation, remember when you put a narrower tire on than origanal ,it will pull out to side wall to bead on rim making the over all hieght slightly lower, it will slow your ground speed, but i doubt you will notice.