• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 firedudetl1 OFFLINE  

firedudetl1
  • Member No: 85281
  • 699 Thanks
  • 437 posts

Posted June 04, 2018 - 12:59 PM

finally got a little time to work on my "new" 1650 with K341 engine. I had hope it would be turn the key and go... turned out there is no key, but a push button to engage the starter. turns over fast enough but won't start, checked for spark with both my tester and another plug grounded against the block - no visible spark.

I should know this, but I apparently don't

I have the engine turning over without me in the seat - do I have to be in the seat for the safety to let it "get" spark? I don't know/remember from my previous 1650 if the seat safety keeps it from turning over or just from starting..everything else is in neutral  so I figure those safeties are "set" - didn't do much else other than a new spark plug, so I suppose it could be bad points as well

very frustrating since the original idea was to get something that was running and I would have to "mess" with it too much

thanks in advance for any help...

#2 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 3763 Thanks
  • 4459 posts

Posted June 04, 2018 - 01:52 PM

Most won't even let them crank if the safety isn't satisfied, that isn't saying that someone has been into the wiring and changed something over the years.
My guess is burnt or glazed points or out of adjustment. Would be my 1st check if it cranks over

#3 Rock farmer ONLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1490 Thanks
  • 1398 posts

Posted June 04, 2018 - 03:53 PM

The safety switch would prevent the engine from cranking over.
The push button to crank the starter probably only cranks the starter.
You would still need electicity to the coil to fire the engine.
If the key switch is there, it should be turned to the run position.
If not maybe some other switch or hot wire to energize the coil.

Joe

#4 pacer ONLINE  

pacer
  • Member No: 39185
  • 98 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted June 04, 2018 - 04:42 PM

Yeah whats been said about safety switches (I got rid of those aggravating things!!)

Take the cover off the points and get a meter or test light and see if there is voltage at the point with the switch on, if so and its not firing the plug then the points are 'glazed?'  which is VERY common when a motor sits up. take a small piece of folded over fine grit sandpaper and  drag it through where the points contact - coarse paper will sometimes work.

If you dont have volts at the points then you have to back up to the coil, if not there then back up again to switch/wiring. Volts has to go through the coil down to the points.

#5 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Fixer of Broken junk

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 6355 Thanks
  • 4418 posts

Posted June 04, 2018 - 08:40 PM

Is there a toggle switch anywhere near the dash? Sounds like someone converted it over to the old style Push button start but it should have either a toggle switch or a small key to turn power on and off to the coil.

My old Cub 70 had the push button start and a simple on off key switch.

Look at the + side of the coil and trace the wire back and see where it goes. There might be a switch somewhere that your not seeing. Might even be hidden under the hood.

#6 firedudetl1 OFFLINE  

firedudetl1
  • 699 Thanks
  • 437 posts

Posted June 05, 2018 - 06:53 AM

Joe and ericfrompa may have the answer... didn't look for any kind of on/off switch - I did pull the points cover and they don't look "terrible" but certainly worth a better look...

Weather supposed to be decent today so maybe I can get out there to the garage and check for a switch

thanks for the input & help... stay tuned

#7 firedudetl1 OFFLINE  

firedudetl1
  • 699 Thanks
  • 437 posts

Posted June 06, 2018 - 05:54 PM

apparently this machine is "on" all the time - checked for voltage with a test light - got a "light" at the battery, coil, and points - tried to adjust the points to be "open" then cranked it with the test light "on" - never went out so I'm guessing new points and condenser are needed - they're on order from my local shop - question for everyone here is where should I wire in a switch so I can cut power as if there's a key....

#8 firedudetl1 OFFLINE  

firedudetl1
  • 699 Thanks
  • 437 posts

Posted June 06, 2018 - 05:55 PM

other thought, should I just try to get a switch and key and "restore" the original set up??