• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tankdriver OFFLINE  

tankdriver

• Member No: 3674
  • 2 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted July 11, 2011 - 01:49 PM

I am looking at installing brighter headlights, a light switch, and a relay. I have 2 years warranty on everthing. Has anyone made mods to their GT, then had a problem? Did the tech complain about what you did and did they want to blame the problem on what you did and refuse to fix it under your warranty? Or did they fix it with no issues?

Thanks

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted July 11, 2011 - 01:54 PM

Never had a issue with warranties.. All my stuff is too old to have any .. Sorry !!

#3 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • Member No: 256
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted July 11, 2011 - 02:22 PM

The engine in your tractor has an alternator that puts out X number of amps at full RPM. If you choose lights that compromise the output of that alternator by drawing too many amps, then any problems that arise from that is on your dime. If you fail to properly fuse those lights and your tractor catches fire, then you better hope that your Homeowner's policy will cover it.

It would be up to you to prove that mods you made were not the root cause of the problem that you are now expecting to be covered under warranty. That's the risk that you assume when you modify something that is under warranty.

#4 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted July 11, 2011 - 02:42 PM

Many time the warranty literature will spell out what type of modifications are allowed and what type will void the warranty.

#5 tankdriver OFFLINE  

tankdriver

• 2 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted July 11, 2011 - 02:54 PM

The engine in your tractor has an alternator that puts out X number of amps at full RPM. If you choose lights that compromise the output of that alternator by drawing too many amps, then any problems that arise from that is on your dime. If you fail to properly fuse those lights and your tractor catches fire, then you better hope that your Homeowner's policy will cover it.

It would be up to you to prove that mods you made were not the root cause of the problem that you are now expecting to be covered under warranty. That's the risk that you assume when you modify something that is under warranty.

I understand it could happen. I was just wondering if it had happened to anyone, and how tight they were on it.

Most everybody mods thier stuff one way of the other. I posted how I strengthened the Agfab blade I hve, so I understand that pretty well shot the warranty on it. But it was only 300 bucks not 3,000 like the tractor.

What I'm doing will be right. I have been mainly a electric forklift Tech since 78, I taught Electronics 98 till 2008, and now I am IT director at the same place of work. But I I know some places are worse than others about Warranty.

Edited by tankdriver, July 11, 2011 - 03:00 PM.

#6 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4412
  • 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted July 13, 2011 - 01:36 AM

Alot of guys chip thier trucks, and if a warrenty issue comes up they just de-chip it. I dont see why you couldent do the same? It sounds like you have the knowledge to do it right, just set it up so you can go back to stock if need be. :)

#7 tankdriver OFFLINE  

tankdriver

• 2 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted July 13, 2011 - 08:58 AM

Correct, we do that on new forklifts if we are having a problem, and want to check and see it X will help.

I was just getting ready to do it, and started thinking if anything like that had ever happened to anyone.......

You know how it is.... inquiring minds want to know.....:smile1: