#16 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 3,633 Thanks
  • 1,730 posts

Posted June 01, 2018 - 07:31 PM

I would not loan out my tractors to just anyone, but if my neighbor needed one I would ask witch one. This is the neighbor across the street from me, we are as much friends as we are neighbors. 

That's great you have that kind of a relationship with your neighbor, John! The ones that haven't mowed at all yet moved in sometime last fall to winter. They stay to themselves, never see activity besides vehicles have been moved around. The lady that lives to my east is real nice and if she needed it, I'd mow for her but she does a good job anyway. Her brother lives across the street to the south and their elderly parents are on the acre west of his.

I go thru that.
Had to attend a MA meeting last night!
"Mowers Anonymous"

MA---LOL! Hope you fall off the wagon and get to mow again soon!

Yeah spending the day with him was good. Mowing can wait a day. Mondays are my normal mowing days but I had to skip a couple! I have often wondered what using a 12H is like! The vari speed is very smooth on a G if your clutch foot is smooth but I bet that hydro is almost effortless!

A well adjusted 12hydro is such a pleasure to drive. I've used both to mow around my yard. The hydro excels at gliding to a stop, reversing, and pulling away again. My 12 G always seems to jerk a bit when it starts. I love to mow with the hydros and plow with the geared one

That makes sense Howard, how you use the two types of tractors. At one time I was wondering why my left leg would hurt for a couple days a week during the summer and it dawned on me about the effort required to push the vari-speed clutch pedal was probably it. I have to change directions a lot, and I monitor speed a lot too with it. The spring was adjusted all the way out to it's weakest position but was still brutal. I put a heavy "s" hook on it to reduce the effort and it has worked well. No more leg pain in the days after mowing or pushing snow. I too have a bit of a jerk letting out the pedal but every now and then I seem to have the foot finesse to release the pedal easy enough to have no jerk.

DAC

• KennyP, Sawdust, chieffan and 2 others have said thanks

#17 4getgto ONLINE  

4getgto
  • Member No: 85766
  • 394 Thanks
  • 268 posts

Posted June 02, 2018 - 06:54 AM

The below picture is a good example where my property line is and the neighbors starts. Their property is in foreclosure so nobody is living there right now but last year these were mowed at same time every week.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20180602_073925.jpg

• HowardsMF155, MFDAC, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#18 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,633 Thanks
  • 1,730 posts

Posted June 03, 2018 - 07:59 PM

I had to work today but the neighbor to the west that hadn't mowed that acre got it done while I was gone! Lots of piles of grass clippings but chopped at least.

I will mow again tomorrow.

DAC

#19 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 11,760 Thanks
  • 7,276 posts

Posted June 10, 2018 - 03:26 PM

We usually try to mow on Wednesday or Thursday, weather permitting.  Looks better for the weekend than fresh mowed.  Seldom have anyone go by that bothers to look at it though. Benefit of rural living.  4getgto - got any horse people around?  They might be glad to get that grass hay and make your place look better. 

I mow with a hydro and move snow, till, etc with gear drive.  Bolens XL series gear drive have a real light clutch, which is basically and belt tensioner.  The hydro is a Cub with the dash lever hydro control.  Takes some getting used to but love it now that I have it down pat.  Can't beat that diesel for power plant either.

• MFDAC said thank you

#20 4getgto ONLINE  

4getgto
  • Member No: 85766
  • 394 Thanks
  • 268 posts

Posted June 10, 2018 - 04:46 PM

4getgto - got any horse people around? They might be glad to get that grass hay and make your place look better.

Up till last fall they did have a guy make hay out
of some of it. Since then the bank foreclosed on it.
The bank wants to make hay a different way.

Edited by 4getgto, June 10, 2018 - 04:48 PM.

#21 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,633 Thanks
  • 1,730 posts

Posted June 10, 2018 - 08:59 PM

We usually try to mow on Wednesday or Thursday, weather permitting.  Looks better for the weekend than fresh mowed.  Seldom have anyone go by that bothers to look at it though. Benefit of rural living.  4getgto - got any horse people around?  They might be glad to get that grass hay and make your place look better. 

I mow with a hydro and move snow, till, etc with gear drive.  Bolens XL series gear drive have a real light clutch, which is basically and belt tensioner.  The hydro is a Cub with the dash lever hydro control.  Takes some getting used to but love it now that I have it down pat.  Can't beat that diesel for power plant either.

Monday is about the only day I have to mow, but your logic makes sense. My normal work shift is tues-fri 10 hour days. It varies though. My wife usually has my mind made up what happens Sat-Sun. She has to work Mon so that gives me a chance! We just had a cold front push through, lots of wind and rain, but it blew right past the rain gauge. Temp dropped from 92*F to 74*F in about a half hour. If it's not raining tomorrow it should be a pleasant mow!

This was the first rain we have gotten in 12 days.

DAC

Edited by MFDAC, June 10, 2018 - 09:00 PM.