#1 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 3,633 Thanks
  • 1,730 posts

Posted May 30, 2018 - 08:46 PM

Not a good idea to go so long. especially this time of year but we were on a vacation for 16 days. After work on the 17th day it was pouring rain! 4" of rain in the gauge while we were gone and another 1.2" yesterday. The MF12G got another hard workout and did good but I ran it out of gas once The now year old pine trees are liking this later arriving spring and even my dying lilac has some blooms. It's going to take several mowings to smooth the grass back out again but at least it's cut. I'll do the trimming tomorrow after work. I felt mowing needed to come first this time instead of trimming.

Sorry about the lack of activity, but I don't type on my phone and that was the only way I could do the internet while we were gone.

DAC

Attached Thumbnails

• 5-30-18 mow-after vacation 003.jpg
  • 5-30-18 mow-after vacation 002.jpg
  • 5-30-18 mow-after vacation 001.jpg
  • trees 5-30-18 001.jpg

• jhn9840, olcowhand, daytime dave and 11 others have said thanks

#2 James Bosma OFFLINE  

James Bosma
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 76126
  • 1,579 Thanks
  • 752 posts

Posted May 30, 2018 - 08:57 PM

The old 12 did a good job

• MFDAC, Sawdust and jpswift1 have said thanks

#3 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 2,898 Thanks
  • 3,523 posts

Posted May 30, 2018 - 10:15 PM

tomorrow will be a week, 1st time since I had to start mowing that I have been able to wait that long.... I didn't fertilize this year, just sprayed some 2,4-D mixed with a little bit of  (yeah I know, people were complaining about this stuff in another thread on GT talk last week, but I got some anyway)  (DiCamba)  for good measure  about 2 weeks ago....  I held off on the nitrogen/iron nutrients (the "feed" part of weed n feed)  for now just to try and slow my yard down a bit, all I want this year is to get thru a season with NO NO NO crabgrass...… NONE. 

They claim "wettest May ever" in Chicago area.... official measuring station is at O'Hare airport an hour and a half drive from me. We have been downright parched. 

probably one of the driest Mays I remember at least in the last few years...… if we would have had any rain at all in the last week, I would not have been able to go a week in between mows.... no way.  In a normal Spring I cannot go more than 4 maybe 5 days, because I don't own a baler. 

• KennyP, MFDAC, Sawdust and 2 others have said thanks

#4 John Arsenault ONLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 3,017 Thanks
  • 1,356 posts

Posted May 31, 2018 - 05:42 AM

Right now its been about 10 days for me, I am letting my grass go to seed. Every winter I tear it up with the snowblowers and plow, so I let it re-seed itself. 2 years ago my neighbor asked me if I needed to borrow his mower because my grass was looking like yours 

• KennyP, MFDAC, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#5 John Arsenault ONLINE  

John Arsenault
  • 3,017 Thanks
  • 1,356 posts

Posted May 31, 2018 - 05:44 AM

Not a good idea to go so long. especially this time of year but we were on a vacation for 16 days. After work on the 17th day it was pouring rain! 4" of rain in the gauge while we were gone and another 1.2" yesterday. The MF12G got another hard workout and did good but I ran it out of gas once The now year old pine trees are liking this later arriving spring and even my dying lilac has some blooms. It's going to take several mowings to smooth the grass back out again but at least it's cut. I'll do the trimming tomorrow after work. I felt mowing needed to come first this time instead of trimming.

Sorry about the lack of activity, but I don't type on my phone and that was the only way I could do the internet while we were gone.

DAC

Same as me, I don't communicate on my phone either. I need a full sized keyboard , a full sized screen and a full sized cup of coffee. 

• KennyP, MFDAC, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#6 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Anything Red . . .

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 14,297 Thanks
  • 10,282 posts

Posted May 31, 2018 - 06:16 AM

18 days without mowing!

Don't you get the side effects? blurry vision, shakes, vomiting ? I've only tried withdrawl once.

• KennyP, Cvans, MFDAC and 6 others have said thanks

#7 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 11,760 Thanks
  • 7,276 posts

Posted May 31, 2018 - 06:43 AM

Now you have a real mess on your hands with all that grass laying on top.  One would think if one can afford a 16 day vacation they could also afford to hire someone to mow their yard one time while gone and save a big mess and a lot more work.  Just my opinion.

Been one week today since I mowed.  Could mow a few shaded areas but talking rain later so holding off till that happens.

Edited by chieffan, May 31, 2018 - 06:44 AM.

• MFDAC said thank you

#8 Sawdust ONLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 6,217 Thanks
  • 3,581 posts

Posted May 31, 2018 - 07:02 AM

Wow I just cut yesterday after 8 days & thought that was bad. I had a good day on Monday but my son was off & wanted to go kayaking. I thought spending the day with him was more important. It stormed bad last night & beat the clippings down good.

Your tractor did very well. I use to cut 2 acres every other week on 9 acres we use to have. My MF12H did the job. I always wanted a G like yours. Hope you get back to normal soon.
  • Cvans and MFDAC have said thanks

#9 lrhredjb OFFLINE  

lrhredjb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3984
  • 922 Thanks
  • 689 posts

Posted May 31, 2018 - 07:48 AM

Local tv weather guy says this will be the hottest May on record here. Not much rain at all. Usually May is a pretty wet month.

• MFDAC, dodge trucker and Sawdust have said thanks

#10 ckjakline OFFLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,148 Thanks
  • 1,139 posts

Posted May 31, 2018 - 08:03 PM

Right now its been about 10 days for me, I am letting my grass go to seed. Every winter I tear it up with the snowblowers and plow, so I let it re-seed itself. 2 years ago my neighbor asked me if I needed to borrow his mower because my grass was looking like yours 

Mine actually went into seed last week. I was having mower issues and had an are that went 2 weeks without mowing. Come to think of it it was also one of my Massey 12Gs to the rescue. They really do a decent job mowing.

• MFDAC and Sawdust have said thanks

#11 John Arsenault ONLINE  

John Arsenault
  • 3,017 Thanks
  • 1,356 posts

Posted May 31, 2018 - 08:21 PM

Mine actually went into seed last week. I was having mower issues and had an are that went 2 weeks without mowing. Come to think of it it was also one of my Massey 12Gs to the rescue. They really do a decent job mowing.

If you want it to seed the best with doing the least, just set the deck as high as you can and knock the seed off, leave the grass tall and thick to protect the seed and new seedlings. Also leaving the grass tall and thick helps with many of the shorter types weeds.

#12 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 3,633 Thanks
  • 1,730 posts

Posted May 31, 2018 - 08:38 PM

tomorrow will be a week, 1st time since I had to start mowing that I have been able to wait that long.... I didn't fertilize this year, just sprayed some 2,4-D mixed with a little bit of  (yeah I know, people were complaining about this stuff in another thread on GT talk last week, but I got some anyway)  (DiCamba)  for good measure  about 2 weeks ago....  I held off on the nitrogen/iron nutrients (the "feed" part of weed n feed)  for now just to try and slow my yard down a bit, all I want this year is to get thru a season with NO NO NO crabgrass...… NONE. 

They claim "wettest May ever" in Chicago area.... official measuring station is at O'Hare airport an hour and a half drive from me. We have been downright parched. 

probably one of the driest Mays I remember at least in the last few years...… if we would have had any rain at all in the last week, I would not have been able to go a week in between mows.... no way.  In a normal Spring I cannot go more than 4 maybe 5 days, because I don't own a baler. 

5 to 7 days here normally too this time of year. Pretty crazy how one area has ample amounts of rain and a few miles away can be parched. That happens around here now and then too. This acre is obviously an old hay field that got turned into housing so there is plenty of crabgrass, thistle, dandelions and even cactus!

Same as me, I don't communicate on my phone either. I need a full sized keyboard , a full sized screen and a full sized cup of coffee. 

I don't get to get online until after work and home chores  so I'm ready for a full-sized beer along with my big PC and keyboard! You mentioned a neighbor offering to use his mower---the neighbor to the west of us has not mowed at all this year yet! Not loaning out my  tractor though

18 days without mowing!

Don't you get the side effects? blurry vision, shakes, vomiting ? I've only tried withdrawl once.

Yeah I did miss the seat time but the withdrawls weren't to severe--LOL!. We stayed pretty busy.

Now you have a real mess on your hands with all that grass laying on top.  One would think if one can afford a 16 day vacation they could also afford to hire someone to mow their yard one time while gone and save a big mess and a lot more work.  Just my opinion.

Been one week today since I mowed.  Could mow a few shaded areas but talking rain later so holding off till that happens.

It will chop up pretty fast Roger, I'll mow again Monday. You are sure entitled to your opinion but this vacation wasn't laying on the beach drinking fancy umbrella drinks on some exotic island. We drove  to Denver for a few days where I did some chores on my 71 year old single sisters house. Then we flew to North Carolina, had to rent a car to drive to Virginia to visit my only surviving aunt that will turn 100 years old in July. We hadn't seen her for 12 years. Incidentally, she is taking care of her ailing 77 year old daughter! Then we drove to Georgia to do maintenance on my grandparents cemetery plot. The last time we were there was 2003 so some work was needed. We have never had one of those type vacations where it's all relaxation, there's always a purpose. We stayed in dives for motels and ate cheap as possible. Last thing we needed was a several hundred dollar mowing bill on top of all that. We'll be paying for this trip for a while yet and we had saved some in the last year to help get us out there.

Wow I just cut yesterday after 8 days & thought that was bad. I had a good day on Monday but my son was off & wanted to go kayaking. I thought spending the day with him was more important. It stormed bad last night & beat the clippings down good.

Your tractor did very well. I use to cut 2 acres every other week on 9 acres we use to have. My MF12H did the job. I always wanted a G like yours. Hope you get back to normal soon.

Yeah spending the day with him was good. Mowing can wait a day. Mondays are my normal mowing days but I had to skip a couple! I have often wondered what using a 12H is like! The vari speed is very smooth on a G if your clutch foot is smooth but I bet that hydro is almost effortless!

Local tv weather guy says this will be the hottest May on record here. Not much rain at all. Usually May is a pretty wet month.

I hope you get some rain soon, we had storms in the area again this evening but so far they have missed us.

• Sawdust and John Arsenault have said thanks

#13 John Arsenault ONLINE  

John Arsenault
  • 3,017 Thanks
  • 1,356 posts

Posted June 01, 2018 - 05:10 AM

I would not loan out my tractors to just anyone, but if my neighbor needed one I would ask witch one. This is the neighbor across the street from me, we are as much friends as we are neighbors. 

#14 4getgto ONLINE  

4getgto
  • Member No: 85766
  • 394 Thanks
  • 268 posts

Posted June 01, 2018 - 05:44 AM

18 days without mowing![/size]

I go thru that.
Had to attend a MA meeting last night!
"Mowers Anonymous"
  • KennyP, MFDAC and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#15 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,981 Thanks
  • 3,024 posts

Posted June 01, 2018 - 02:48 PM

Yeah spending the day with him was good. Mowing can wait a day. Mondays are my normal mowing days but I had to skip a couple! I have often wondered what using a 12H is like! The vari speed is very smooth on a G if your clutch foot is smooth but I bet that hydro is almost effortless!

A well adjusted 12hydro is such a pleasure to drive. I've used both to mow around my yard. The hydro excels at gliding to a stop, reversing, and pulling away again. My 12 G always seems to jerk a bit when it starts. I love to mow with the hydros and plow with the geared one