wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted July 10, 2011 - 11:38 PM

As much as I like the K series Kohlers I am so confused about them right now. There seem to be 3 or 4 (mabey even 5) different bases, couple different flywheel sizes, designs, and shapes. Then the shrouds aren't all the same either. All I wanted was one to go on the Springfield 12 HP and I now have about 6 different ones from 10-14 HP and so far not one of them will work right out of the chute. The Cub cadet one I just got would have to be torn down enough to swap a lot of parts between the Springfield's locked up engine and it to make it a reversed S/G and then on top of that, anything that could be painted yellow (carb, flywheel, fins, all)....was, so sandblast too mabey. Then the carb throttle shaft is stuck (probably paint or rust). So then I thought ok, maybe I should take the 210's 10 HP Kohler and forget that project, well, the base is totally different and the shroud is bigger in the flywheel section, it is also a starter only design. Ok, so thats 2, the one I got from the scrap yard is starting to look better, except for it being the wrong base and a starter only setup so also bigger flywheel and shroud, so thats 3 not usable on the Springfield. So now onto a 14 HP off a cub cadet, correct base, it was S/G design but it has to be reversed to work, so it would have to be pulled half apart, flywheel swapped, and I don't even know if a 12 HP flywheel fits a 14 HP, so that is 4 I don't know if I can use on the Springfield . The other 2 are a 10 and 12 HP and they have the right base but they are starter only design so bigger flywheel, bigger shroud, so those won't work either, what is so complicated about this!!

At this point I am looking at either the Cub Cadet 10 HP (rebuilt but overpainted) or the 14 HP (think it too was rebuilt) which is the right amount of paint. The problem is all flywheel though, I think. I have the S/G and flywheel and parts on the Springfield's stuck solid Kohler 12 HP but no clue what fits what, anyone have any solutions, or alternate Kohlers for me to try???

#2 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,628 posts

Posted July 11, 2011 - 05:33 AM

Casey , I remember a friend saying something about having to swap bases to make the engine work on his Ford . Wish I was more help , maybe someone has a " cheat sheet " on what swaps between them .
  • wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#3 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted July 11, 2011 - 05:41 AM

Casey , I remember a friend saying something about having to swap bases to make the engine work on his Ford . Wish I was more help , maybe someone has a " cheat sheet " on what swaps between them .

The 72-76 Fords have the oil pan welded right to the frame, so if you wanted to mount a different engine, you would have to remove the pan and bolt it to the Ford pan/frame....There are also different configerations for output shafts sizes....and some having 2 outputs, others just one
  • Alc and wvbuzzmaster have said thanks

#4 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,733 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted July 11, 2011 - 07:07 AM

On a Kohler, the spec number tells what configuration an engine is. As your finding out, one model can have a lot of different specs. One caution to watch out for when changing oil pans is the length of the dipper on the rod. A short dipper on a deep pan will cause oil starvation.
  • Alc and wvbuzzmaster have said thanks

#5 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted July 11, 2011 - 08:40 AM

i have a whole set of kolher manuals. if that can help i can send u copies if u want

#6 MF14 plowday special OFFLINE  

MF14 plowday special

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4377
  • 33 Thanks
  • 255 posts

Posted July 11, 2011 - 10:38 AM

Casey ... here is another reason for you too.......:wallbanging:

The Kohler blocks came in two styles.... one had a flange on each side of the block so that the engine could be mounted to the side rails with the oil pan hanging between and below the rails. This style block is also used in JD 200 and 300 series where the flanges are mounted to a frame and this frame sits in motor mounts to lessen noise and vibration. I believe Wheelhorse used a similar set up for a while and then abandoned the idea. The other style block had a very beefed up heavy oil pan with threaded holes in the bottom so you could mount the engine with bolts which pass through mounting holes in the frame and then screw into the bottom of the block. This style used on JD 140 and some Cadets and also the pipe frame Ford -Jacobsen with the oil pan welded to the frame... but the oil pan Ford used differs from what JD and Cadet used.

Sorry if I have added to you headaches:D
and there is a lot of interchangeability with the 6 or so differing oil pans.

#7 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted July 11, 2011 - 11:42 AM

Ok, this is good information, but what about flywheels? any interchangability there? and what if the spec number is missing or painted over?

#8 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted July 11, 2011 - 11:43 AM

i have a whole set of kolher manuals. if that can help i can send u copies if u want

Not sure manuals for it help me but I will keep it in mind.

#9 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted July 13, 2011 - 08:07 PM

Ok, this is good information, but what about flywheels? any interchangability there? and what if the spec number is missing or painted over?

When it comes to Kohlers I agree with Doug, the spec number is golden to finding what you have. If you have the spec number from your Springfield you can input that into any of the parts websites that deal in Kohlers and find out on the parts your looking for what the numbers are on your Springfield. From there once you know what part numbers you need I would go to the other engines and see if any have spec numbers on them and do the same thing to see if any of the parts your after will interchange or not.

Besides tearing into the engines and seeing if things will physically match up its gonna be a crapshoot withoiut a spec number trying to determine what will work from engine to engine. I did just this same thing with the K241 on my 100. It came from an old Wheel Horse and I had to change the starter, engine shrouding, and the oil pan. I also had to drill the flywheel and add a drive pin on it for the drive cup that the gear drive Cubs use.

Hopefully with the collection of blocks you have one will work as Kohler made a LOT of different stlyes. Crankshaft size and length, oil pan, starter configuration and so on.

#10 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted July 13, 2011 - 08:46 PM

I just hope I can find out what in the heck I'm doing, and if I can't use any of the Kohlers, I will figure out a different engine arrangement. Anyone want to come rebuild a stuck Kohler K301 that needs complete overhaul?