coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted July 10, 2011 - 10:17 PM

While sorting out my Onan BF/MS I have been having major issues with the carb and intake. I could only get the engine to run with WOT and full choke to begin with. With help from here I found out that my intake was leaking. The intake got swapped for a tested good one. That helped alot but I still had to adjust the carbs main jet to wide open to get any responce from it and the idle screw did nothing at all. I had previously pulled and cleaned the carb so I thought all the passages were clear. After reassembling the engine, from decarbing it, I was still haveing problems with the carb. Same issues as before. I new it had to be the carb because all the intake gaskets were new. I ordered a carb kit and was in th process of installing it when i noticed a small brass jet next to where the idle system passage was. I had to get my magnifing glass out and look to make sure it was in fact a jet. My cleaning wire would not pass through the hole in it and i could not get any air to blow trough it either. I decided to make a small "drill" to try and clean it out. I got my smallest torch tip cleaning rod an cut a 2 inch piece off. It tip was rounded so I cut the tip with a pair of side cutters. I cut it at a 45 angle so it would have a point and the side cutters left the cut with a sharp bevel. I then bent 1/2 inch of the end to form a handle. Holding the long end between my thumb and fore finger in my left hand I then used my right hand to spin the the drill. It punched through the crud. I put the carb back together and got it on the engine. I am now able to adjust my carb with both the main jet and the idle jet. It runs pretty smooth but i still have some issues to straighten out, I have to use 1/3- 1/2 choke to get it to run. It will get straighten out sometime soon but for now it runns and mows well.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF2468.jpg
  • DSCF2470.jpg
  • DSCF2462.jpg
  • DSCF2467.jpg
  • DSCF2464.jpg
  • DSCF2463.jpg
  • DSCF2469.jpg
  • DSCF2471.jpg

• ducky said thank you

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted July 11, 2011 - 07:07 AM

Glad you got it running. Some of those passages are really small aren't they?