8 replies to this topic

#1 BillTheTractorMan OFFLINE  

BillTheTractorMan

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1477
  • 203 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted July 10, 2011 - 08:40 PM

So this coming Tuesday I'm getting a 48" mower deck in good condition.

Than come mid august Austin (thecraftsmankid) is selling me one of his sets of wheel weights.

My goal with the wheel weights is to make up for fluid weight loss this coming winter. I will be running 3 sets of wheel weights on narrow 5inch trailer rims and tires. I'm thinking due to the narrow tire and the added weight I should get better traction than I do with my 10.5inch ags. I also hope to not need chains because my dad wont allow them. But any way this is primarily to reduce wear and tear on my ags.

Can't wait!:wallbanging:

#2 Deck_Drive OFFLINE  

Deck_Drive

collector of sears

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 736
  • 96 Thanks
  • 348 posts

Posted July 10, 2011 - 10:28 PM

how are you gonna mount all 3 sets of weights to the trailer rims? plus, most people find plowing with one set of weights to be easy, you have 2! I still dont get why you want 3 weights. I need 2 sets to balance my snowthrower lol

#3 BillTheTractorMan OFFLINE  

BillTheTractorMan

Tractorholic

• 203 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted July 10, 2011 - 10:37 PM

I'm mounting 2 outside and 1 inside on the rim with threaded rod.

I tried 2 sets last year with no luck.... 1 set and I couldn't even make it out of the garage with the blade down and as soon as I got the back tires on the snow I got stuck.

#4 Deck_Drive OFFLINE  

Deck_Drive

collector of sears

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 736
  • 96 Thanks
  • 348 posts

Posted July 10, 2011 - 10:54 PM

I'm mounting 2 outside and 1 inside on the rim with threaded rod.

I tried 2 sets last year with no luck.... 1 set and I couldn't even make it out of the garage with the blade down and as soon as I got the back tires on the snow I got stuck.

did you have chains on? wide or narrow tires?

#5 BillTheTractorMan OFFLINE  

BillTheTractorMan

Tractorholic

• 203 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted July 10, 2011 - 10:57 PM

chains on and that was with ags...

#6 chopperfreak2k1 OFFLINE  

chopperfreak2k1

Tractorholic

• Member No: 300
  • 17 Thanks
  • 431 posts

Posted July 10, 2011 - 11:33 PM

if you have a paved dfrive way you might consider weights with good turf tires. i have found better traction that way. the narrow tires should help provide better traction for you though.

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted July 10, 2011 - 11:45 PM

Last winter, someone made some rubber "chains", which seemed to work well.if I find the post, I will link it.

Here it is:http://gardentractor...in-report-3818/

#8 BillTheTractorMan OFFLINE  

BillTheTractorMan

Tractorholic

• 203 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted July 11, 2011 - 08:31 AM

I'm trying to stay away from anything that can be recognized as "chains" as my dad went ape $#!t on me over a couple scratches in the driveway made by his own snow blowers cutting edge.

Our driveway has been problem from day one, on hot summer days if we keep our truck parked on it, the truck sinks. in the winter a bikes kickstand will leave a mark. We contacted the company that put it in and all they had to say was there was a mistake and they added to much oil or what ever to it. They also refused to re-do it so we're stuck with a drive way that is liquid in summer and soft enough to get tore up in the winter.

I was also asked by the neighbors that I help to not use chains while plowing their driveways.

I'm considering turfs but I don't want to pay too much for another set of tires. I already have the trailer rims and tires laying around and the trailer rims bolt up to the tractors hubs with out a problem.

thanks

#9 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted July 11, 2011 - 04:36 PM

I have always found that narrow tires with good tread make for better winter traction...on my vehicles anyway. Seems to me that the principles remain the same for a tractor. I run 2 sets of weights and chains on my turfs and have no trouble pushing snow...I'm not sure how it would do without the chains though. I also do not have a paved driveway. I guess we'll have to wait for your report come winter...but I'm in no hurry to get there!