8 replies to this topic

#1 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 13,557 Thanks
  • 9,431 posts

Posted May 17, 2018 - 02:24 PM

A new store opened in Putnam, CT with a "Grand Opening Sale Flier" that had dozens of great deals. I drove the 50 minutes to check it out. My reaction was that it was a very nice store with very nice staff. The local radio station had a dj there. He asked me my thoughts and I said it was like a TSC on steriods. I also said I was worried about it, the TSC across the street, and the WALMART just down the street. I said that I was afraid that they would end up destroying each other. We have too many businesses fail in CT and it hurts us all.

I liked the store and sales and bought a lot of things. The big things were 2 gallons of Slime at $17 per gallon, an air mattress for $20(half price), a bunch of tarps, infrared thermometer, summer weight coveralls, grease tubes($1), and many other things. They appear to have a bigger selection of hardware, tires, trailer parts, and engine supplies than TSC. On the way home I stopped at HF and redeemed a bunch of coupons.

If they open a Runnings in your area, the grand opening sales are worth checking out. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, May 17, 2018 - 02:25 PM.

• Gtractor, Alc, Bruce Dorsi and 7 others have said thanks

#2 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 10,907 Thanks
  • 6,375 posts

Posted May 17, 2018 - 05:18 PM

Never heard of that one. We got a rural king a few years ago. It's a better tsc as well.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
  • boyscout862 and Sawdust have said thanks

#3 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 6,154 Thanks
  • 3,548 posts

Posted May 17, 2018 - 05:58 PM

Never heard of them either. We also have a Rural King but too far. I've been wanting to go there because I seen their flyers & liked them. Two TSC within 20 miles, their getting higher on their stuff. I've seen new places come in town & under sale the local stores. Once the smaller places close up the new place starts raising their prices. Glad you got some good stuff.

• boyscout862 and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#4 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 5,469 Thanks
  • 4,725 posts

Posted May 17, 2018 - 06:32 PM

Minnesota, Montana, North & South Dakota are the only states with a RUNNINGS.

WAAAAY to far from me!

• boyscout862 said thank you

#5 pharmer OFFLINE  

pharmer

• Member No: 4250
  • 897 Thanks
  • 787 posts

Posted May 17, 2018 - 06:41 PM

Where in Connecticut ? Maybe I'll have to take a trip sometime.

#6 tractorskipper OFFLINE  

tractorskipper
  • Member No: 25019
  • 635 Thanks
  • 379 posts

Posted May 17, 2018 - 08:04 PM

I like Rural King too but both in the area are more than an hours drive.  Like he said about Runnings (witch I never heard of either), Rural King like a TSC on steroids.

Have 3 TSC's within 20 minutes & prices vary between stores.

#7 DennyIN OFFLINE  

DennyIN
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 52096
  • 366 Thanks
  • 216 posts

Posted May 17, 2018 - 08:25 PM

Have TSC close by but I think they are pricey, pretty good stuff though. I catch a sale once in a while and do OK like soft gun cases on clearance for six bucks each. Have a rural king within 30 minutes and I like rural king, but the store isn't stocked very well, always out of the battery or tube I am needing. I do buy most of my lawn chemicals there.  Two more rural kings are an hour away and always stocked up. Harbor freight an hour away so I gather the coupons on what I want and make a trip of it when ever I get up that way. recently bought a 2500 lb winch for $50, just waiting on some of the accessories to go on sale now.    

• boyscout862 and chieffan have said thanks

#8 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 11,377 Thanks
  • 7,120 posts

Posted May 18, 2018 - 07:18 AM

Never heard of that brand either.  Have TSC, Farm & Home, Bomgaars and Orschelns in this area.  I like Orschlens as they give senior discount on Wednesday and military discount on Tuesday.  Selection and prices are very comparable and better than TSC,  Next town over, 35 miles, had a Farm & Home that was a little pricy and didn't like to warranty items.  Bomgaars bought them out and heard their prices, except sales are a bit higher than TSC.  Will probably stay with Orschlens with their discount's and awards program.  5% is 5 %

#9 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 13,557 Thanks
  • 9,431 posts

Posted May 18, 2018 - 12:20 PM

Where in Connecticut ? Maybe I'll have to take a trip sometime.

Putnam is in the northeast corner of CT. It is less than 1/2 mile off of the RT 44 exit of I-395. Good Luck, Rick

• pharmer said thank you