3 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 11,377 Thanks
  • 7,120 posts

Posted May 16, 2018 - 08:38 AM

with that same item number.  Had an older DC825 1/4" drill driver with the larger 18V batter.   Same as my 1/2 and my drill.   The variable quit shortly after I bought it used.  Got a replacement but it was not variable.  Saw a listing on eBay for a new battery style DC 825 with a good switch.  Rest was parts & pieces.  Got it for $15.  Exact same model but switch is different and so is the case.  Not much but enough they would not interchange.  Switch from the newer unit was larger physically than the old one.  Got out a sharp 1/2" wood chisel and started in shaving her, there and other places.  Had it together and apart a dozen times before the two sides would go together.  Then could not change the direction switch without pulling the trigger down and forward each time.  More chisel time, apart and together couple more times and finally got it right.  Just a reminder that just because it has the same model number does not mean parts interchange.  I figured with the same model number it would be the same except for the battery pack attachment.  Boy was I wrong but still go it going for 1/3 the cost of a new switch, would which probably the wrong one also.

• hamman, KennyP and Sawdust have said thanks

#2 Billy M OFFLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 735 Thanks
  • 578 posts

Posted May 16, 2018 - 10:27 AM

I think that applies to most things now-a-days.  You now have to give your VIN number to buy a lot of auto parts.  Manufacturers are using the cheapest part they can find that particular week they are making a production run.  It's a pain for us as consumers, and for parts suppliers.  Can you imagine trying to stock all the different options for the parts on a tool or car? 

• Sawdust and chieffan have said thanks

#3 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 6,154 Thanks
  • 3,548 posts

Posted May 16, 2018 - 02:27 PM

I've had to give serial numbers along with model numbers before. I had a Makita cordless same model numbers but had to give the serial numbers to get the right part. My trigger assembly burned up & was replaced with the new & improved part. We don't know what we're buying anymore.
  • chieffan said thank you

#4 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 11,377 Thanks
  • 7,120 posts

Posted May 16, 2018 - 08:18 PM

JD is real good at making changes.  Belt length differ between the exact same machine in the middle of the year. 
Then you get a green horn counter guy and he don't ask.

• Sawdust said thank you