57 replies to this topic

#31 GhoSt85 OFFLINE  

GhoSt85
  • Member No: 86131
  • 174 Thanks
  • 108 posts

Posted May 15, 2018 - 08:41 PM

Hey Cribs

Sorry if I am not understanding this right but from reading your post, I gather that the starter will spin but the engine wont? If that is correct, make sure that the gear on the starter isn't damaged. If the started gear is good and it has a flywheel. Check the teeth on the flywheel. If they both appear to be in good condition, check to see if the starter gear "meshes" with the flywheel and not butting up against it and free spinning.

If the engine is spinning. Check you sparkplug. Make sure the gap is set and that you are getting spark. If you are not, make sure the the breaker point is set up right. If its like the bolens, they should be preset to a certain amount. If the gap is to large, you wont get spark.

And you could also check your carb. Could be that the carb is clogged and the fuel is staying in the bowel?

Good Luck!

GhoSt

• Cribs1450 said thank you

#32 Cribs1450 ONLINE  

Cribs1450
  • Member No: 88752
  • 145 Thanks
  • 65 posts

Posted May 16, 2018 - 08:28 PM

Hey Cribs

Sorry if I am not understanding this right but from reading your post, I gather that the starter will spin but the engine wont? If that is correct, make sure that the gear on the starter isn't damaged. If the started gear is good and it has a flywheel. Check the teeth on the flywheel. If they both appear to be in good condition, check to see if the starter gear "meshes" with the flywheel and not butting up against it and free spinning.

If the engine is spinning. Check you sparkplug. Make sure the gap is set and that you are getting spark. If you are not, make sure the the breaker point is set up right. If its like the bolens, they should be preset to a certain amount. If the gap is to large, you wont get spark.

And you could also check your carb. Could be that the carb is clogged and the fuel is staying in the bowel?

Good Luck!

GhoSt

Sweet I will check all of these things when I m done work for the weekend.  The starter is spinning and I will need to open it up to see if the flywheel is damaged. I know that it is not stuck or anything.  Also am pretty curious to see how the sparkplug  and wire to the coil look.  Stay tuned I will have updates this weekend!

• propane1 and GhoSt85 have said thanks

#33 Sammoore13bolens1053 OFFLINE  

Sammoore13bolens1053

Because I’m young doesn’t mean I’m stupid

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 89554
  • 176 Thanks
  • 277 posts

Posted May 17, 2018 - 04:19 AM

The wire that goes from the front to the electric pto clutch is in tact . its the one that goes to the points that is not connected. I do not know where it goes tho it starts that the cover in the red circle then is just about a foot and a half long to go to the points i guess . But I do not seem to know where that is. Also do you think this would be the reason for it not starting?

Is the points behind this coil?
attachicon.gif20180515_092523.jpg

Look for a atom ignition or point converter, means there is less to go wrong, atom are the best I use them in a few things, I have about 10
Of them

Edited by Sammoore13bolens1050, May 17, 2018 - 04:20 AM.

• Cribs1450 and MaxTractor have said thanks

#34 Cribs1450 ONLINE  

Cribs1450
  • 145 Thanks
  • 65 posts

Posted May 19, 2018 - 08:05 AM

Sweet I will check all of these things when I m done work for the weekend.  The starter is spinning and I will need to open it up to see if the flywheel is damaged. I know that it is not stuck or anything.  Also am pretty curious to see how the sparkplug  and wire to the coil look.  Stay tuned I will have updates this weekend!

Teeth on flywheel are good. and it spins smooth and I can feel it spinning inside so I know nothing is stuck.  The teeth on the starter are also good. going to hook it back up to make sure they mesh together nicely.  I did however notice there was water in the coil where the spark plug wire hooks up to it at the top.

• Sammoore13bolens1053 said thank you

#35 Sammoore13bolens1053 OFFLINE  

Sammoore13bolens1053

Because I’m young doesn’t mean I’m stupid

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 89554
  • 176 Thanks
  • 277 posts

Posted May 19, 2018 - 01:35 PM

Teeth on flywheel are good. and it spins smooth and I can feel it spinning inside so I know nothing is stuck.  The teeth on the starter are also good. going to hook it back up to make sure they mesh together nicely.  I did however notice there was water in the coil where the spark plug wire hooks up to it at the top.

That’s not good, clean out the water. Hopefully all is fine keep us updated, here in Northern Ireland a old garden tractor is like finding a hens tooth

#36 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 9,726 Thanks
  • 4,509 posts

Posted May 19, 2018 - 01:49 PM

Check to see if it’s water in the coil. More than likely it’s oil. And if it is, the coil is bad. Can you put power and ground to the starter to make it spin. Then you can see if the drive comes out while turning. But be carful doing it. Secure the starter well before doing this test.

Noel
  • TomLGT195 and Cribs1450 have said thanks

#37 Cribs1450 ONLINE  

Cribs1450
  • 145 Thanks
  • 65 posts

Posted May 20, 2018 - 08:03 PM

Check to see if it’s water in the coil. More than likely it’s oil. And if it is, the coil is bad. Can you put power and ground to the starter to make it spin. Then you can see if the drive comes out while turning. But be carful doing it. Secure the starter well before doing this test.

Noel

The starter spins but does not move up and engage the flywheel!  I took it out and cleaned it all up. everthing on the starter seems to be good though.  

• propane1 said thank you

#38 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • 9,726 Thanks
  • 4,509 posts

Posted May 21, 2018 - 04:52 AM

Could you take the starter off and post a picture of it and the starter drive.

Noel

#39 Cribs1450 ONLINE  

Cribs1450
  • 145 Thanks
  • 65 posts

Posted May 21, 2018 - 11:09 AM

Could you take the starter off and post a picture of it and the starter drive.

Noel

Yea this is the starter.  after I cleaned it up .  Moves nice and should work good.

20180519_110809.jpg

20180519_110817.jpg

And this is the points that I cleaned up before and after pics.

20180519_112013.jpg

20180519_112528.jpg

In canada we had the long weekend so did a lot of family BBQ .  Didnt have enough time to really work on the ford.

• KennyP, TomLGT195, propane1 and 1 other said thanks

#40 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • 9,726 Thanks
  • 4,509 posts

Posted May 21, 2018 - 01:58 PM

Yes. Nice long weekend. Well that starter should work.

Noel

#41 Cribs1450 ONLINE  

Cribs1450
  • 145 Thanks
  • 65 posts

Posted May 21, 2018 - 02:19 PM

Yes. Nice long weekend. Well that starter should work.

Noel

Had power going to it, at 12.3 some volts but it seems to be shotty. Ive cleaned the connections on the solenoid but it looks like i am still getting a bad connection at some point.  The battery is good and lights work. I can get voltage at the starter solenoid and the coil.  So weird because before I took off the starter I got it to spin good with ease and now I must be missing something.  The switch for neutral needs to be toggled with aswell

• propane1 said thank you

#42 Cribs1450 ONLINE  

Cribs1450
  • 145 Thanks
  • 65 posts

Posted May 21, 2018 - 02:51 PM

Progress,  

Cleaned connections, toggled the neutral switch, clean up the starter. Now we are getting somewhere.  Still need to hear it truly run but at least its trying now.

I tried with choke and throttle as well.  Im not sure where to go from here as to if it needs a new spark plug or if it needs something in the carb.  Also not sure if it is getting enough fuel.

• TomLGT195 and propane1 have said thanks

#43 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • 9,726 Thanks
  • 4,509 posts

Posted May 21, 2018 - 03:31 PM

Take the spark plug out and put a little gas in, then replace the plug and try it, it should run reasonable for a few seconds. If it runs, you have a gas problem, if it doesn't run, could be a spark problem. 

Noel 

• 637Yeoman and Cribs1450 have said thanks

#44 Cribs1450 ONLINE  

Cribs1450
  • 145 Thanks
  • 65 posts

Posted May 28, 2018 - 05:24 PM

New solenoid and know the starter works everytime and spins good getting its full voltage.  New spark plug as well and I tried putting gas in it as well as trying starter in the carb air intake but still no turn over.  The motor is spinning good and fast though so I dont know if I am getting spark or not.  Going to rebuild the carb tonight also I was thinking .  I believe he points were completely touching when I took the cover off to clean them.  Should they have  a gap?

• GhoSt85 said thank you

#45 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • 9,726 Thanks
  • 4,509 posts

Posted May 28, 2018 - 05:51 PM

Remove the wire from the spark plug. Take the spark plug out. Turn the ignition switch to the off position, remove the key. Take the points cover off and turn the engine over by hand. Watch the points to see if they open. They should be set at twenty thousands, 0.020, for a starting point. 0.020 is about the thickness of two business cards together.

Noel

Edited by propane1, May 28, 2018 - 05:56 PM.

• GhoSt85 and Cribs1450 have said thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ford lgt 125