• Member No: 88752
  • 130 Thanks
  • 54 posts

Posted May 14, 2018 - 09:15 PM

Just picked up this Ford LGT 125

Model Number K301AS
Spec NO 47502d
Serial Number 6380690

Guy I got it from gave me a bit of a run around . we had a pick up time but he was a no show so he dropped the price.  Overall Pretty happy with the machine. Looks to be in decent condition.  I plan on keeping this at my parents house once I get it running since I already have the massey 1450 at my place.  It looks like I am going to have to play around with this one. It will not start currently and there are some wires that arent attached to anything so if anyone has the direct link to the wiring scheme or parts and assembly booklet that would be greatly appreciated.

I have seen this running a few months ago and I know that the engine is good . currently when the battery is in and it seemed like all wires were hooked up it would not make any noise if I try to turn it over.   Then It looks now like the one wire from the front magneto i believe is not attached to anything.  I have not had to do any work on these engines before so this will be a head scratcher for a while.  It was used all last season for cutting grass so I am hoping that its just some loose wires and not anything bad like a starter or cylinoid.  If any one has any ideas I would love to hear them.  I am planning on working on it all tomorrow (tuesday) to try and get it going again.  Today I just dropped it off and cleaned it up a bit.

From what I found online the model number says made from 10/73 to 11/74  but I really am not sure.  

There does not seem to be to much rust anywhere, the under deck has some but i will fix that up.  The front  bottom of the grill is a bit cracked up .  I think its just plastic there so I will see what I can do.

Im not ford expert so I am hoping to get a helping had to get this up and running soon and see how she cuts!

20180514_162323.jpg
20180514_162308.jpg
20180514_162101.jpg

20180514_162400.jpg

20180514_162522.jpg

20180514_162300.jpg

• limebuzz, Alc, hamman and 6 others have said thanks

#2 lyall OFFLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 2,227 Thanks
  • 1,593 posts

Posted May 14, 2018 - 09:30 PM

here is a link  on this site for a manual

hope it helps

http://gardentractor...-repair-manual/

• boyscout862, Cribs1450 and MaxTractor have said thanks

#3 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 2,125 Thanks
  • 1,792 posts

Posted May 15, 2018 - 05:46 AM

Great machine....I see it also has the rear PTO for s tiller....thats a big bonus

That thing you are calling a front magneto?...I think you are referring to the PTO clutch on the front of the engine. These Kohlers run off of a coil ignition, not a magneto. Looks like your coil wires are connected right. Might want to clean the points if its been sitting. BTW, you must have a battery connected for the ignition to work. 

You are saying it wont even crank over?....I would start by taking a jumper cable straight from the battery to the starter lug, just to prove the starter is OK...and work your way back from there. 

• boyscout862, 637Yeoman, Cribs1450 and 1 other said thanks

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 40,960 Thanks
  • 47,139 posts

Posted May 15, 2018 - 06:10 AM

:wave:  Welcome to the forum! Nice looking Ford! I made a color wiring diagram some time back for these.

FordWiringDiagram.jpg

Hope this helps. It could be a number of things keeping it from starting.

• lyall, boyscout862, 637Yeoman and 2 others have said thanks

#5 Cribs1450 ONLINE  

Cribs1450
  • 130 Thanks
  • 54 posts

Posted May 15, 2018 - 06:43 AM

Great machine....I see it also has the rear PTO for s tiller....thats a big bonus

That thing you are calling a front magneto?...I think you are referring to the PTO clutch on the front of the engine. These Kohlers run off of a coil ignition, not a magneto. Looks like your coil wires are connected right. Might want to clean the points if its been sitting. BTW, you must have a battery connected for the ignition to work. 

You are saying it wont even crank over?....I would start by taking a jumper cable straight from the battery to the starter lug, just to prove the starter is OK...and work your way back from there. 

Thanks about the magneto, comment and yes pretty happy with the rear PTO,  just need to find out if there is a seperate belt for that or if it some how uses the same belt as the mower deck.  Barely looked at the machine.  Also I know it needs the battery, it came with a new one I just took it out to clean under the hood a little better.  

No it wont crank over right now, when that battery is connected and I turn the key just nothing.  But i know there is power as I can turn on the lights.

I am really hoping that the starter is good.  I heard the ford starters can be shifty because they are glued inside 

Edited by Cribs1450, May 15, 2018 - 06:46 AM.

• KennyP said thank you

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 40,960 Thanks
  • 47,139 posts

Posted May 15, 2018 - 07:20 AM

Make sure the PTO switch is off! No start with it on. and you need to take that u-joint off the back before you turn the PTO on as it will just be flopping around. The u-joint is part of the tiller setup.

Here's my closed side 165 with the tiller on.

DSCN2747.JPG

• EricFromPa, boyscout862, propane1 and 3 others have said thanks

#7 Cribs1450 ONLINE  

Cribs1450
  • 130 Thanks
  • 54 posts

Posted May 15, 2018 - 07:31 AM

Make sure the PTO switch is off! No start with it on. and you need to take that u-joint off the back before you turn the PTO on as it will just be flopping around. The u-joint is part of the tiller setup.

Here's my closed side 165 with the tiller on.

Sounds good.  Depending on how today goes I will probably be on and off here with questions so I might be buggin ya !

• 637Yeoman said thank you

#8 case1man OFFLINE  

case1man
  • Member No: 40153
  • 204 Thanks
  • 142 posts

Posted May 15, 2018 - 08:06 AM

It does require a separate belt for the pto your pulley should have two groves . One for the pto and one for the mower deck. Any kohler starter will work it doesn't have to be a Ford just a gear type starter.

#9 case1man OFFLINE  

case1man
  • Member No: 40153
  • 204 Thanks
  • 142 posts

Posted May 15, 2018 - 08:13 AM

If you are not getting power to the starter see if your solenoid is getting power on starter side when you turn the key I have also had to put key switches in several that has gone bad .

#10 Cribs1450 ONLINE  

Cribs1450
  • 130 Thanks
  • 54 posts

Posted May 15, 2018 - 09:06 AM

Okay after further inspection I have noted that there are 2 wires in total not connected to anything.  I am going to post hopefully good enough pictures to maybe get someone to notice something that I didnt.  Going to go up to the store and get a voltage meter I think.

I attached battery again. with out attaching the lose wires in the pictures because I am unsure as to where they go. Having a hard time following the electrical map because the previous owner painted the inside an wires it seems for most of them

20180515_092306.jpg

20180515_092424.jpg - here there are no nuts holding the wires on amp meter (however I think those are the only 2 wires supposed to be connected

20180515_092707.jpg  -Another close up of the under dash 

20180515_092446.jpg - This is the one loose wire from the solenoid it seems to be orange and it is the one closer to the steering coluimn out of the 2.  I believe it is supposed to go to the safety switch if I read correctly?!

20180515_092626.jpg  - here is the close up picture of the solenoid. looks pretty bad 

20180515_092434.jpg

20180515_092317.jpg This is the picture of the starter.  And you can also see the one wire that i believe is orange that was not hooked up to anything ( this is the wire that is hooked up to the solenoid

Inked20180515_092554_LI.jpg The other wire is from the front of the motor but the one from the very front is connected. this is coming out on the front left side from the bottom of  what I circled in red

Inked20180515_092638_LI.jpg  Another look the yellow is the way the wire goes it is black

• MaxTractor said thank you

#11 tractorskipper OFFLINE  

tractorskipper
  • Member No: 25019
  • 635 Thanks
  • 379 posts

Posted May 15, 2018 - 09:33 AM

The last picture is of the points cover & wire coming out of it should go to the coil.

Nice looking LGT & I have one just like it however it is a future project & I have done nothing to it.

If that tractor was mine & the wiring looked like yours does, I would go through all of it and fix/clean all connections & follow the schematic.  Wiring can be daunting but on these old machines, really simple. Just take it step by step.

Good luck

Skip

• Cribs1450 said thank you

#12 FixItCharlie OFFLINE  

FixItCharlie
  • Member No: 47950
  • 578 Thanks
  • 363 posts

Posted May 15, 2018 - 10:48 AM

Yes you need nuts to connect wires to amp gage. I think they are 10-24 thread. Make sure PTO switch is off & the transmission is in neutral. Try starting while setting in the seat. Some of these still have a seat safety switch still hook up. On the starter solenoid (picture 5) the 2 terminals in the center are what activate the solenoid. One wire is ground the other wire is connected to starter switch & should have voltage when key is turned to start. That other loose wire maybe for the lights as I see no light switch has been in stalled. That is what the knock out next to the PTO switch is for.

Charlie 

#13 Cribs1450 ONLINE  

Cribs1450
  • 130 Thanks
  • 54 posts

Posted May 15, 2018 - 10:57 AM

Yes you need nuts to connect wires to amp gage. I think they are 10-24 thread. Make sure PTO switch is off & the transmission is in neutral. Try starting while setting in the seat. Some of these still have a seat safety switch still hook up. On the starter solenoid (picture 5) the 2 terminals in the center are what activate the solenoid. One wire is ground the other wire is connected to starter switch & should have voltage when key is turned to start. That other loose wire maybe for the lights as I see no light switch has been in stalled. That is what the knock out next to the PTO switch is for.

Charlie 

There is a wire that goes directly under the seat so I am pretty sure it still has the safety on it.  I will be out in the garage for a while know just went to town to grab a voltage meter

#14 FixItCharlie OFFLINE  

FixItCharlie
  • Member No: 47950
  • 578 Thanks
  • 363 posts

Posted May 15, 2018 - 11:01 AM

Looking at the pictures again if the wire is going to the starter solenoid it could be the ground wire & if this is what it is it could be connected to the negative battery terminal. Many GT batteries use bolt instead of the clamp on posts.

Charlie

#15 Cribs1450 ONLINE  

Cribs1450
  • 130 Thanks
  • 54 posts

Posted May 15, 2018 - 11:01 AM

The last picture is of the points cover & wire coming out of it should go to the coil.

Nice looking LGT & I have one just like it however it is a future project & I have done nothing to it.

If that tractor was mine & the wiring looked like yours does, I would go through all of it and fix/clean all connections & follow the schematic.  Wiring can be daunting but on these old machines, really simple. Just take it step by step.

Good luck

Skip

The wire leads close to this. is this the coil you are talking about? I dont see an empty spot where it would attach to .

20180515_092523.jpg

Thanks for the help

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ford lgt 125