• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 30, 2011 - 05:09 PM

Thanks for the video Daniel. In the pictures it looks like you got the whole section of the Gator with the motor on it. Was it a wreck?

#32 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted July 30, 2011 - 07:33 PM

Thanks for the video Daniel. In the pictures it looks like you got the whole section of the Gator with the motor on it. Was it a wreck?

Not a wreck. This guy's brother had this Gator given to him! His brother traded him out of it, then sold me the cut-out section. He built a trailer out of the rear half.

#33 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 31, 2011 - 06:36 AM

Not a wreck. This guy's brother had this Gator given to him! His brother traded him out of it, then sold me the cut-out section. He built a trailer out of the rear half.

Recycling at it's best! That clutch assembly may be worth some cash on EBay. All the small Yanmars seem to use those plastic round canister style filters with the cyclone action. That's what is on my 24hp JD2320. I'm not sure what you could use that would be more compact but still allow the high flow you need.

#34 hammerdwn20 OFFLINE  

hammerdwn20

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2133
  • 98 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted July 31, 2011 - 08:29 AM

Only a couple hours of shop time today, but spent it piddling with the Yanmar. Seen one of the electric radiator fan motor wires had been pulled completely out. So peeled the motor apart & put in a new wire. Very tricky getting everything back together right, but it works great! The thermocouple switch works great as well. When the fan kicks on, it draws the diesel down sharply for a second at idle speed. Man does it blow some heat when it kicks on too! Whatever this engine goes in, the radiator will be placed "fan to front" to pull the air through the radiator, then out the grill so it won't be quite as much heat back towards the operator.
I have to find a small air filter housing though, as there wasn't a complete one with the Gator come to find out. Anybody have a spare to fit a small diesel?

Check ebay. i got my new donaldson filter assembly for 50$ shipped
bolens 1250 041.jpg

#35 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted July 31, 2011 - 08:47 AM

Check ebay. i got my new donaldson filter assembly for 50$ shipped
[ATTACH=CONFIG]18082[/ATTACH]

Can't find one at that price, but one is on ebay similar for $61 delivered, but no mounting ring or filter monitor. I have time, so I'll keep looking for a bit.

#36 hammerdwn20 OFFLINE  

hammerdwn20

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2133
  • 98 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted July 31, 2011 - 08:59 AM

yeah i just checked with the seller and there arent anymore. Keep an eye out and one will come along. The G04 series is sized right for these engines
  • olcowhand said thank you

#37 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted July 31, 2011 - 08:31 PM

Played with the engine just a bit today. Took out the oil sender unit & installed a gauge. Ran till full temp & fan cycling. 12psi at hot idle, 45psi at full revs....all within spec. Cold, the oil pressure was 17 & 55psi. Could be higher hot, but still in the good range. The oil looks to need changing, so that would likely raise the pressure a few pounds. like this engine is good to go. Now to figure what I'll be putting it in. I am leaning to the Massey w/FEL. Using it with the Onan in the real hot weather of late, it vapor locked on me a couple times. I can run it with the hood off without problems. But the diesel with water cooling would eliminate that problem.

#38 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted July 31, 2011 - 08:57 PM

You may still need to get more venting . That's why I did my side panels, mowing and hard tilling would get it pretty warm ( 195 degree) when normal tstat temp is 160.

#39 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted July 31, 2011 - 09:00 PM

You may still need to get more venting . That's why I did my side panels, mowing and hard tilling would get it pretty warm ( 195 degree) when normal tstat temp is 160.

I already cut the sides out of my hood, but the air cooled gas engine just creates so much heat under there. If I put this Yanmar in it, I will be turning the radiator to allow the electric fan to blow the heat out the front of the grill, so it should do fine.

#40 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted August 01, 2011 - 04:04 AM

You should be fine then

#41 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 04, 2011 - 10:18 AM

Wouldn"t a diesel put out less heat anyway for the same HP produced. The efficiency is higher isn't it?

#42 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 04, 2011 - 10:51 AM

Wouldn"t a diesel put out less heat anyway for the same HP produced. The efficiency is higher isn't it?

Way less heat, at least that's what I've seen on my farm.

#43 Boss 448 OFFLINE  

Boss 448

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1724
  • 48 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted August 04, 2011 - 12:51 PM

Score an advantage for water-cooled engines over air-cooled. Water cooling gives you the ability to relocate the heat exchange (the radiator via hoses) to a location of choice. With air cooling you pretty much are stuck with the cooling and the direction of air flow dictated by the engine.

I know on my Onan powered Ingersoll 448 that there is a lot of heat that blows back on me when I am mowing on a hot day. I hope that when someone gets around to doing a V-twin diesel conversion that they will find that the engine configuration reduces the heat blown at the rider. This is something that can only be determined for sure by actually trying it.

JN

#44 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,511 Thanks
  • 5,029 posts

Posted August 22, 2011 - 09:14 PM

Daniel did you come up with an air filter yet or should I still be looking?

#45 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 22, 2011 - 09:35 PM

Daniel did you come up with an air filter yet or should I still be looking?

I'm waiting for a bit before buying. Have lots other things to pay for at the moment, so this can wait. My daughter is a junior in high school, but is taking a college math course that is costing me $200, plus the other normal school expenses, so things are tight for me right now.