Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

Vote Now for Featured Tractor of the Month of August 2011!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
79 replies to this topic

Poll: Vote Now for Featured Tractor of the Month of August 2011! (127 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote Now for Featured Tractor of the Month of August 2011!

1. Bolens 800 - Bolens 1000 (7 votes [5.51%])

Percentage of vote: 5.51%

2. Bolens 1253 - DGS345 (5 votes [3.94%])

Percentage of vote: 3.94%

3. Bolens Ridemaster - jdcrawler (28 votes [22.05%])

Percentage of vote: 22.05%

4. Bolens HT20 Diesel - bhts (12 votes [9.45%])

Percentage of vote: 9.45%

5. Toro 10HP - wvbuzzmaster (3 votes [2.36%])

Percentage of vote: 2.36%

6. Bush Hog T-63 - olcowhand (17 votes [13.39%])

Percentage of vote: 13.39%

7. Montgomery Wards Hydro 12 - td&h (4 votes [3.15%])

Percentage of vote: 3.15%

8. Sears SS12 - IamSherwood (7 votes [5.51%])

9. Wheel Horse Commando 8 - caseguy (4 votes [3.15%])

Percentage of vote: 3.15%

10. Massey MF7 - Stoneman (2 votes [1.57%])

Percentage of vote: 1.57%

11. Montgomery Wards Hydro 15 - RustyTub (1 votes [0.79%])

Percentage of vote: 0.79%

12. Voted Cub Cadet 107 - IHZCubGuy (7 votes [5.51%])

13. Massey MF10 - DH1 (9 votes [7.09%])

Percentage of vote: 7.09%

14. Bush Hog D4-7 - NUTNDUN (15 votes [11.81%])

Percentage of vote: 11.81%

15. Bolens Ridemaster - wilberj (6 votes [4.72%])

Percentage of vote: 4.72%

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,248 Thanks
  • 15,613 posts

Posted February 01, 2011 - 11:02 AM

Voting for GTtalk Featured Tractor of the Month for the month of August 2011 has now officially started and will end the last day of July. The theme for this month is "Best Original".

The winner will be featured on the front page for the entire month of August starting on the 1st of the month and will be in our featured tractors section for infinity :D

Here is a list of the nominees in no special order:

• 1963 Bolens 800 - Bolens 1000
  • Bolens 1253 - DGS345
  • 1948 Bolens Ridemaster - jdcrawler
  • 1980 HT20 Diesel - bhts
  • 1967 Toro 10HP - wvbuzzmaster
  • 1963 Bush Hog T-63 - olcowhand
  • Montgomery Wards Hydro 12 - texas deere and horse
  • Sears SS12 - IamSherwood
  • 1968 Wheel Horse Commando 8 - caseguy
  • 1970 Massey Ferguson MF7 - Stoneman
  • Montgomery Wards Hydro 15 - RustyTub
  • 1970 Cub Cadet 107 - IHCubGuy
  • 1970 Massey Ferguson MF10 - DH1
  • Bush Hog D4-7 - NUTNDUN
  • 1951 Bolens Ridemaster - wilberj

Before voting please be sure to check out all the entries in the posts below. :D

Please remember that the winning tractor cannot be nominated again for a full year. Thanks and good luck!

Edited by NUTNDUN, July 10, 2011 - 08:33 AM.

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,476 Thanks
  • 17,095 posts

Posted July 03, 2011 - 07:21 AM

I'm going to nominate My 1963 Bolens Husky 800.

I picked this tractor up earlier in the year from a guy down in Wellsville NY.
When I got there I couldn't believe the condition of the tractor. When I talked with him on the phone he said it was in almost "pristine condition" I figured It must have been repainted at some point, but upon further inspection The paint appears to be all original from the factory. The only thing that is not original is the engine and the color of the seat. It came without the S-7D wisconsin, so I had a TRA-10D laying around that I put in it.

I mainly use this tractor for mowing and also riding it around LOL. With it having narrow tires on the rear you are kind of limited to what you can do in soft or muddy conditions.

Out of all the different Bolens decals that were made over the years, I think this is my favorite decal/ color scheme.

Attached Thumbnails

• bolens 800 001.jpg
  • tranny swap 006.jpg
  • bolens 800 002.jpg

• Contributor
  • Member No: 513
  • 16 Thanks
  • 348 posts

Posted July 03, 2011 - 08:11 AM

Ill nominate my 1253
As long as re assembly does not count as a restoration I bought this last year The
guy told me it was in pieces! Well I thought maybe the engine or some tin had been removed. I was wrong it was literally in pieces see pictures. So I put it all back together the day I picked it up. I did need to replace the ignition switch. Later in the week I got it fired up and running really well.
I do not use this tractor alot but some times i take it out to pull the kids or lawn roller around it mostly decorates one corner of the shop.

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_2619.jpg
  • 100_2624.jpg
  • 100_2622.jpg
  • 100_2625.jpg

#4 jdcrawler OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1639
  • 3,165 Thanks
  • 1,720 posts

Posted July 03, 2011 - 12:19 PM

To help keep things moving right along, I'm going to put up a 1948 Bolens Ridemaster that is defiantly a "survivor".
The old guy that I bought this from was still using it to work up a small garden until about two years before I got it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This still has some of the original factory paint and you can still see some of the original decals on it.
The paint is pretty much gone from the back half of the tractor because of the dirt being thrown up from the implements.

Posted Image

It has a unique old 40's or 50's spinner on the steering wheel.

Posted Image

and a genuine "farmer equipped" toolbox hanging under the seat.
Posted Image

#5 bhts OFFLINE  

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,412 Thanks
  • 2,113 posts

Posted July 03, 2011 - 12:56 PM

I will nominate my Bolens 1980 HT20D Diesel

I had seen this tractor sitting behind a house 2 years ago and would drive by it all the time. No one lived there and i would stop and leave a note about the tractor all the time. One day i drove by and someone was there cutting grass so i stopped to ask about the tractor.They said they would sell it and but had to talk to there family first. So i left my phone number and he said he would call me later that night. So night came and went and know call. About two weeks later phone rang and they said come and get here and now she is here.

The tractor has a WD2-860 2 cylinder diesel air cooled wisconsin. The muffler is not orginal from the factory as Bolens had a problem with these tractors. They had a recall on the tractor with how it ran. The muffler was the suspect and was changed by Bolens to what you see on it now. This came with a 54 inch deck which still has the orginal belt and blades and a 33 inch tiller.

Now this tractor will come to be redone some what with some new paint at some time and new filters and fluids as all are still the orginal but will stay the same as you see it now but will get a loader and backhoe added at some point.

Attached Thumbnails

• ht20d 001.jpg
  • ht20d 002.jpg
  • ht20d 004.jpg
  • ht20d 003.jpg

#6 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted July 03, 2011 - 01:03 PM

I am going to nominate my Toro here after bit.

Bad news, no good pics of the Toro on my camera cards and it's trapped in my shop. Either someone else took two good pics of it at Cochranton Plow Day or pics will have to wait til I dig the Toro out for the local show this upcoming weekend. With that said I am going to go ahead and post up the description and then edit the pics in later.

This is my 1967 Toro 10 HP Tractor. It was built the very first year after Toro bought Quick Manufacturing, so it used all the same parts. It has the original Kohler K241 (the 10 HP) and that is the best starting and smoothest engine I have. It will start up at a low idle and run and move the tractor at that same speed. It makes top gear feel like the granny low gear LOL. I bought this tractor a couple years ago from a friend of mine who I met online. He wasn't a big fan so for what he had in it and a trip to PA it was mine. He had done a few minor service things like new muffler, fresh grease, and use it.

The only thing that has been done to the tractor other than my shining up the fiberglass some with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser is the grill was replaced. The original grill would have been fiberglass, and the one on it is cast iron. I suspect the original grill broke beyond repair in which the at the time owner located an alternate. The current grill was originally on a Montgomery Wards version of the Springfield and has traces of gold on the inside, but the outside was repainted to match the tractor's color better by the same owner that swapped it on. I have thought about changing to the correct grill but I probably never will because it will change the history and look of this awesome tractor. Only other thing on it not original are the FMC Bolens wheel weights, but the wheel weights were left in their original patina lol.

I love having the 4 speed Peerless with the granny low gear, great to have that extra torque, and low speed. I would love to give the machine a nice coat of paint but chances are I won't because there are too many others that need way more attention. I still have yet to re-repair the brakes from the Plow Day where I got really lucky to find the brake drum that fell off! Again lol! makes about the third or forth time that has happened between my buddy and mine's ownership of the tractor. I have a permanent fix to that issue, but have yet to do it. I think the Toro has had no brakes longer than it has had brakes in the last 3 years LOL.

Here is a pic that Steve took at plow day (I cropped it a little lol). I will get another pic later on though. I wanted to "Autocorrect" the brightness and contrast but I opted not to since when I do it the hood and fenderpan look like the sun LOL. Only tractor I can't "Autocorrect" lol.

Attached Thumbnails

• ToroPlowday1.jpg

#7 olcowhand ONLINE  

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,245 Thanks
  • 29,699 posts

Posted July 03, 2011 - 01:47 PM

I would like to nominate my 1963 Bush Hog T-63. I bought this 12/16/10 off ebay for $300 & drove 520 miles round trip to bring her home. Great addition to my Bush Hog collection. Rare model with Wisconsin S7-D engine. Delco starter/generator. Direct shaft drive to 2 speed trans, with hi-lo range for 4 fwd speeds, 2 reverse. Automotive style plate clutch. with sleeve style rear implement lift. Equipped with a M-32 mower deck. She runs great & I've mowed with it as well! A true survivor at 48yrs old! Even still has the original tires AND all the lights work!
A previous owner welded the pto clutch "on" full time, but I can roll the belt on & off easily. It will start with deck engaged anyway for when I want to mow with her.
I will be looking for an OE pto clutch to put her back to prime. So glad I found & won this auction!

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00488.jpg
  • DSC00487.jpg

Edited by olcowhand, July 21, 2011 - 10:28 PM.

#8 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,461 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted July 03, 2011 - 05:05 PM

I know you saw this tractor last month, but it's too nice not to re-enter. This is my Montgomery Wards Hydro 12 made by Gilson Tractor Co. We think it's a 1968, but are not sure of year yet. It has 12 hp. Briggs in it and also has hydraulic lift. The hub caps and the Sleeve hitch are both factory original.I thought about restoring it, but it is in too nice of original condition to mess with right now.

I got this tractor from my buddy Matt in north TX. on a trade we did a couple months ago. It runs like a champ and pulls as good as any other 12HP tractor I've owned. Up until 3 or 4 months ago, I didn't know a thing about these machines, but they are nice tractors. She looks great in her original work clothes. Someone thought it needed a push bumper, I guess, I am going to take it off one of these days.

Good Luck to everyone !!!!

Attached Thumbnails

• wards hydro12-2.jpg
  • wards hydro12.jpg

#9 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,378 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted July 03, 2011 - 05:49 PM

I'm going to enter my Sears SS12. It's either a 1969, or 1970. I'm still researching
that. I picked this up a week ago. Put a battery in it, and it fired up. No choke
required. It is all original except for the wheel weights. Solid state ignition on the
12hp Tecumseh. The front tires are Sears tires. It came with a snowblower, and a
Sears sickle bar mower.

So far, Ive only put about 2 hours on it, just cruzzing around, but I'm really
happy with how well the old girl runs. My plan is to fix up the neglected sickle,
mount it back on this survivor, and dedicate it for that use. I will do something
about the seat, and just give it standard maintenence.

Attached Thumbnails

• P1010215.jpg
  • P1010214.jpg
  • P1010216.jpg

#10 caseguy OFFLINE  

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted July 04, 2011 - 11:28 AM

I am going to nominate my 1968 Wheel Horse commando 6. I bought this off of Craigslist last fall. I'm not sure what everyone considers original, So I'll put it up and if anyone has objections I'll go ahead and remove it. I have nothing to hide and I'm not trying to fake anyone out. It is as original as I can reasonably make it until I find the parts. I did nothing cosmetic to it, just basically put it back together and made it work.
When I brought it home, it had a replacement 8 HP Briggs engine. Thankfully the PO didn't hack up the hood to install it, he just left it off. I found an original condition Tecumseh HH60-105047 engine, also on craigslist, that came out of a slightly newer Wheel Horse. It was missing the governor's internal parts as well as the external linkage and mount, the carburetor, the fuel tank, and the air cleaner. I had also bought a second engine. It was an HH60, but of a different era and purpose. I used all of the governor parts from it as well as the muffler. I had a carburetor lying around the garage that just happened to be the right one for the engine, but I had to buy new throttle and choke shafts because they weren't the right type. The fuel tank and mount I found on E-bay...in original condition. The air cleaner is off of a Kohler engine, but it fits without modification and looks like the original Wheel Horse type that came with the tractor when new! (makes you wonder if that's not what Wheel Horse did originally) I also installed a new drive belt (OEM from Toro).
There are only three things that are not as originally supplied. I had to use the throttle linkage off of the other engine which came from a tiller and therefore had to modify the choke linkage setup to work properly. The second thing is that I had to buy an ignition switch (OEM from Toro) and it was expensive! The original design called for the starter current to go directly through the key switch. I installed a solenoid so that I wouldn't be replacing that switch every couple of years. The third thing is the muffler is not like what was supplied by Wheel Horse.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN2412.jpg
  • DSCN2419.jpg
  • DSCN2422.jpg

#11 Stoneman OFFLINE  

• Member No: 1763
  • 26 Thanks
  • 157 posts

Posted July 04, 2011 - 12:53 PM

I would like to nominate my 1970 Massey Ferguson MF7 Electric Start

I got this in december right after cristmas on craigslist for $250. I was really surprized when i got to the guy's place because the origanal paint looked way better in person than in the craigslist pictures. When i got home i found the snowblower to have been barely used and the deck to be in great shape. it even has all the origanal belts! But at one time someone replaced the seat and also put a different muffler on it.

The origanal H70 tecumseh has been gone through, and i mostly use it for pulling around a dump cart in the summer and it runs and drives great! I'm even going to pick up a set of origanal wheel weights for it tomorrow!

Attached Thumbnails

• stuff 018.jpg
  • stoneman 034.jpg

#12 RustyTub OFFLINE  

• Member No: 2702
  • 25 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted July 04, 2011 - 03:27 PM

This is my montgomery wards 15 HP hydrostatic drive. I have owned it for just a few months. But I have seen this tractor for over two years parked under a neighbors pole barn. When it went up for sale I jumped on it.

It has taken some time to get going, although it did not need much. A carb rebuild and a new piece on the steering linkage a battery and alot of PB blaster. It has been up and running now for three whole days. This tractor has spent its whole life on the same street.

The near future will see a new set of rubber, a new set of headlights, working on the purchase of those from another member. As for implements it came with a 42 inch deck and a rototiller. I plan on using both of those alot. I also picked up some old sears stuff a single bottomplow, a front mount blade and a sears manual 3 point lift. All of which will be put to use on the wards.

My son and I have really enjoyed working on our garden tractor. Today it had my yard trailer hooked to it. Hauled off an old trash compactor out of the kitchen. Brought some wood out for our fire pit for todays bbq. Pretty much the wards has been on party duty helping get ready for tonight.

Attached Thumbnails

• TOM.jpg
  • TOM2.jpg
  • TOM3.jpg
  • TOM4.jpg

#13 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,342 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted July 05, 2011 - 06:58 PM

I was going to sit this out since there are some really nice machines in contention, but what the heck I'll throw one in again this month.

I am nominating my 1970 Cub Cadet 107 hydrastatic. This was originally purchased new by the aunt of a good friend of mine from the IH dealer Coopers Hardware in Turbotville Pa . She used it to mow grass on a 1/4 acre property in Milton Pa. Eventually she had to leave the property and my friend bought it from her and used it on his own property until I purchased it from him in 2004. Up until I purchased it grass cutting was its only job in life. Besides having the engine overhauled around 2000 and normal maintenance there have been no other repairs to it in its 41 years of use.

Since I have purchased it I have put it to use year around. It runs my QA36 snowthrower in the winter. It mows the lawn every week at my mother in laws and does some custom mowing every other week. I also use it at plowdays and have run it in parades as well. I also have a model #1 IH tiller that I use on it as its Hydrostat. Besides recently putting tractor style front tires on it and having put ag's on the rear it is 100% original condition. It actually still has the foil dealer tags on each side of the dash pedestal yet from when it was new and I have a keychain I keep on it as well that has the dealer name on it who has since gone out of business.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN1341.JPG
  • DSCN1405.JPG
  • DSCN1404.JPG

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,503 Thanks
  • 5,269 posts

Posted July 06, 2011 - 06:31 PM

Well I'm going to nominate my 1970 MF10 that I had for a short while, it is the best original tractor I ever owned. This one was well taken care of and I don't think it was used much.
Original paint, seat with no rips, no cracks in nose ring, minimal cracks in plastic dash, good tires, front tires with hardly any wear. This was a bare bones tractor no rear lift or lights.
Tractor came with mower deck, snow blower and 1 set of tire chains. Engine was smoking a bit when cold and had a knock in it, front axle pivot point worn and sloppy, welded the frame up with new bolt, no more play. I sold this a few months after I got it, kinda wish now I kept it.
Pictures speak for them self's.
Posted Image

Attached Thumbnails

• mf10 015.jpg
  • mf10 004.jpg
  • mf10 014.jpg
  • mf10 005.jpg
  • mf10 012.jpg
  • mf10 011.jpg

#15 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,461 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted July 09, 2011 - 10:05 PM

We are nominating George's "NUTNDUN" Bush Hog D4-7 for this months contest. George won't do it himself, So Daniel and I decided to handle it ourselves.

From what we can tell, it's all original and in very nice shape.

This is George's story;

Posted Image Bush Hog D4-7 is home with it's brother.

We won the auction on the Bush Hog D4-7 on eBay the other day. The nice thing is it wasn't too far out of the way on our way home to pick it up. I setup with the seller that we would be past his place sometime after 5pm on Saturday.

We ended up getting there right around 6:30pm and talked for a little bit and gave the seller one of the site's cards. I also told him about the Dover show and he said he is going to try and attend. The Bush Hog D4-7 was definitely in as good of shape as his pictures showed. The only thing really missing is the battery and the pto clutch and handle. There is a handle that is mounted on the right fender and I don't think it was factory but I could be wrong. He did have the parts from the original clutch which actually looked to be in great shape so I don't know why they would have replaced it.

I also need to replace the tires. The turf tires on the back are a mismatch and the one front tire is completely bald. I think I am going to put the narrow tri ribs on the front and the ag tires on the back like I did with the D4-10.

There was also a universal pto joint, I am not sure what it might power though. Oh and it is missing the bottom seat cushion which won't be a big deal to reproduce. I haven't tried firing it up yet as I would like to redo the wiring on it. I don't think the voltage regulator is wired right and before anything gets fried I want to make sure it is right. I can't believe the differences between the D4-7 and the D4-10. I think the D4-10 is around a '63 and the D4-7 is either a '68 or a '69. We also got the original owners manual which has seen it's better days. I will get it scanned and put it on the site sometime in the near future.

Attached Thumbnails

• george03.jpg
  • george01.jpg
  • george04.jpg
  • DSC_0047.jpg