• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 firedudetl1 OFFLINE  

firedudetl1
  • Member No: 85281
  • 699 Thanks
  • 437 posts

Posted May 12, 2018 - 07:30 PM

I was looking over the Kirk engine site and wondering if anyone has used any of them and seen any  improvements in their K-series engines- thinking mainly about using the ignition parts

• Mark 149 J. said thank you

#2 Leonard VanCamp ONLINE  

Leonard VanCamp

Deere Herder

• Member No: 62684
  • 930 Thanks
  • 631 posts

Posted May 12, 2018 - 08:44 PM

I have his transdensor and off brand resin filled coil on all four of my K series powered JD's, noticed a big improvement in all four when I installed them. One thing I will say is I run NGK spark plugs in my machines and had two go out on me. Don't know if I got some bad plugs or if the hotter spark cooked them. Put a couple of the original Champions back in and haven't had a problem yet.

Edited by Leonard VanCamp, May 12, 2018 - 08:45 PM.

• LilysDad and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#3 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

My projects take longer so I enjoy them more...

• Member No: 5472
  • 4072 Thanks
  • 4912 posts

Posted May 12, 2018 - 08:56 PM

I have used Kirk parts on my 120 since I put it back to work after the restification.  The coil and pointsaver really woke up the k301.  It fired on the third crank and had not been touched since January.  When I had it in cold storage before I got my house it fired off without hesitation in temps well below 0 F. 

I have a Kirk inspired K301 for my 312 that has all of his goodies as well as port/polish, crank weight, and a puller cam.  I really need to fire this one up...

• LilysDad and Leonard VanCamp have said thanks

#4 firedudetl1 OFFLINE  

firedudetl1
  • Member No: 85281
  • 699 Thanks
  • 437 posts

Posted May 13, 2018 - 07:11 AM

sounds like I may have to do some "shopping" ...

thanks for the responses

separate thought - always had good luck with Champion plugs in small engines...

#5 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 3763 Thanks
  • 4459 posts

Posted May 13, 2018 - 08:34 AM

I have his transdensor and off brand resin filled coil on all four of my K series powered JD's, noticed a big improvement in all four when I installed them. One thing I will say is I run NGK spark plugs in my machines and had two go out on me. Don't know if I got some bad plugs or if the hotter spark cooked them. Put a couple of the original Champions back in and haven't had a problem yet.

that is an old wives tale.... your spark won't be any "hotter" than it needs to be to jump the plug gap regardless of the ignition. If you have an engine scope you can see this "live".    not saying that spark can't be produced more "efficiently" but the voltage needed to do the job will be the same.  

whether you have a coil that is rated for 10K volts or 100K volts, neither will produce more juice than it has to at a given time.  

look at your fuse box in your car.... just because you have a 20A fuse in a certain hole doesn't mean there is 20A going thru that fuse at all times. If the load that it protects isn't turned on, there will be no power going thru that fuse.    same idea. 

but when it comes to spark plugs I will say that I have put Champion brand plugs in everything I own, with rarely an issue. 

• Leonard VanCamp said thank you

#6 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 3763 Thanks
  • 4459 posts

Posted May 13, 2018 - 08:37 AM

I have been wanting to try Kirk's  "transdenser"  and their balance plate that goes on the crank counterweight. see what it does  for engine smoothness. 

#7 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 15497 Thanks
  • 8820 posts

Posted May 13, 2018 - 09:59 AM

I gave up on Champion plugs years ago when we had snowmobiles.  Champion plugs would foul after 2 days running.  NGK would last the season.  Now I run NGK unless it is not available and Champion as a last resort.

#8 Leonard VanCamp ONLINE  

Leonard VanCamp

Deere Herder

• Member No: 62684
  • 930 Thanks
  • 631 posts

Posted May 13, 2018 - 09:04 PM

that is an old wives tale.... your spark won't be any "hotter" than it needs to be to jump the plug gap regardless of the ignition. If you have an engine scope you can see this "live".    not saying that spark can't be produced more "efficiently" but the voltage needed to do the job will be the same.  

whether you have a coil that is rated for 10K volts or 100K volts, neither will produce more juice than it has to at a given time.  

look at your fuse box in your car.... just because you have a 20A fuse in a certain hole doesn't mean there is 20A going thru that fuse at all times. If the load that it protects isn't turned on, there will be no power going thru that fuse.    same idea. 

but when it comes to spark plugs I will say that I have put Champion brand plugs in everything I own, with rarely an issue.  I just noticed the spark seemed brighter and bigger then the stock setup since I put the Kirk Transdensor and coil on.