4 replies to this topic

#1 chopperfreak2k1 OFFLINE  

chopperfreak2k1

Tractorholic

• Member No: 300
  • 17 Thanks
  • 431 posts

Posted July 10, 2011 - 02:28 AM

i have an SS 16 Sears that was repowered with a kohler kt 17 series II motor and my throttle does not work right. if i have it at idle and i give it a bit of throttle, nothing happens. i give it more, nothing happens, until i reach a certain point at which the motor screams wide open almost instantly. at this point i try to throttle down with very little effect. i have to move the throttle significantly to get it to idle down and when it finally does it is usually too low of an RPM to be really useful.

throttle cable moves freely and carb seems to be in good working order. anyone ever seen this before? i'm not a very good tractor mechanic so any help is really appreciated. thanks guys!

#2 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,609 posts

Posted July 10, 2011 - 09:04 AM

Seems pretty strange , maybe if you took some pictures of the carb and linkage someone will be able to help you out , Al

#3 Gary400 OFFLINE  

Gary400

JD,junkie

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2316
  • 225 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted July 10, 2011 - 09:34 AM

sounds like the throttle cable housing is moving with the cable . the housing that the cable is in should not move .

#4 Big John OFFLINE  

Big John

• Member No: 1450
  • 21 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted July 10, 2011 - 09:56 AM

If throttle cable housing is not moving then governer linkage may not be set up right
or is binding. The spring that the cable pulls must be in the right hole on the governer
arm to make the sensetivity right. You may need to find someone who knows how to
set up the governer properly.

#5 Deck_Drive OFFLINE  

Deck_Drive

collector of sears

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 736
  • 96 Thanks
  • 348 posts

Posted July 10, 2011 - 12:58 PM

My M20 (magnum) does the same thing. I think its the govoner itself, but thats just a wild guess.