8 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 11,377 Thanks
  • 7,120 posts

Posted May 10, 2018 - 12:42 PM

Made up several plant protection rings this morning.  I had a 4' piece of 16" plastic culvert left over from another project years ago.  One end was damaged good so cut the rings about  10" high with the saws all.  Put them four around the tomato plants.  The neighbor put in a bunch of field drain tile last year.  The drain tile companies use a 6' piece of 24" plastic culvert to wrap the drain tile around to make 100' rolls.  The core is usually discarded as it is to short and to small for any culvert type use.  I got one free from my neighbor and cut it into 12" high pieces.  All the vineing type plants are planted in a mound about 3' across the bottom and a foot across the top.  I drop a piece of the 24' culvert over each hill.  This keeps the wind from beating the plants to death and the rabbits don't get to the young plants and wind won't blow the rings away.  Permanent as will last a lifetime and total cost is  0.  As soon as the vines reach the inside of the rings will remove them.

SAM_0578.JPG   SAM_0576.JPG   SAM_0577.JPG

• jms180, lyall, KennyP and 10 others have said thanks

#2 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 10,492 Thanks
  • 5,096 posts

Posted May 10, 2018 - 12:51 PM

Great idea!  I'll be trying that soon, thanks.

• boyscout862 and chieffan have said thanks

#3 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 6,597 Thanks
  • 3,530 posts

Posted May 10, 2018 - 01:15 PM

That's a very good idea, as we are over run with rabbits in ocean county NJ . These are blueberry plants being protected or they'd never make it , I do the same to the tomato plants inside the fence as the squirrels are relentless as well.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2086.JPG
  • IMG_2089.JPG

Edited by HANKG, May 10, 2018 - 01:28 PM.

• jms180, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 3 others have said thanks

#4 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Anything Red . . .

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 14,141 Thanks
  • 10,206 posts

Posted May 10, 2018 - 01:52 PM

I was raised to put a can around my tomato starts to protect them from cutworms. Don't think I've ever seen a cutworm. I've gradually quit doing it.

• chieffan said thank you

#5 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 4,187 Thanks
  • 3,359 posts

Posted May 10, 2018 - 02:25 PM

Might have to make that gate between the goats and the garden a little higher lol.  Our Alpines would hop rite over something like that.

They used to use dads old worn out 1970 international scout as a jungle gym. He left it sitting in the field for them to climb in and on. Doors off and tail gate down. The top of the hood was a little over 4 feet tall (with flat tires) and they would hop rite up on it.

• jms180, KennyP, LilysDad and 4 others have said thanks

#6 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 6,154 Thanks
  • 3,548 posts

Posted May 10, 2018 - 08:47 PM

That's a great idea for the larger plants. I've used the smaller 6" drain tile pieces to protect from cut worms on smaller plants like cucumbers & cabbages.
  • chieffan said thank you

#7 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 11,377 Thanks
  • 7,120 posts

Posted May 11, 2018 - 09:22 AM

We have used the cans a lot also.  Have a bunch of the old tin coffee can on a wire in the garden shed.  It works.  We haven't seen any cutworm for a couple years now.  Different area have to use different control methods.

As for the goats, these are pygmy and have not tried jumping over any fence for a few years now. 

The gate you see leaning against the fence panel was used for beans last year and hasen't go moved yet.  It is a hog panel gate.  They have a wood pallet pyramid to play on that needs rebuilt.  Can easily jump 4' if they have a bit of a run for it.  They love it when produce starts getting ready.  After the first time they get the leaves they come running when one of us it down there.  Love the winter onion tops and the Granddaughter pulls the tops off to hand feed them when ever she is here.

Another cheap item we use to mark the plantings till after they are up good is mini blind slats.  Cut each slat in 3 pieces, write on then cup side with a felt marker what the planting is and stick it by the hill or end of each row.  Turn it writing side North and it won't fade out as fast.  Helps to mark the the row end when cultivating with the GT.  Can be used over each year.

• CRFarnsworth, oldedeeres and Sawdust have said thanks

#8 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 6,154 Thanks
  • 3,548 posts

Posted May 11, 2018 - 10:39 AM

I like the idea of mini blinds for row markers. My wife uses paint sticks & I don't like them. I keep tripping over them & they break. The mini blinds would probably just flop over then back up.
  • oldedeeres and chieffan have said thanks

#9 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 11,377 Thanks
  • 7,120 posts

Posted May 19, 2018 - 05:11 PM

I like the idea of mini blinds for row markers. My wife uses paint sticks & I don't like them. I keep tripping over them & they break. The mini blinds would probably just flop over then back up.

The will flex a lot and don't make any noise when they go through the tiller either.  Being white (the ones we have) they show up good.

• KennyP and Sawdust have said thanks