• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 40,969 Thanks
  • 47,143 posts

Posted May 09, 2018 - 03:49 PM

A while back, I answered a CL ad for 2 free tires (24x12.00-12's). The guy met me at Atwoods and I brought them home. One thing I noticed right off was about 8" of wire sticking out of one tire. Today I got them out to patch over the plugs and took the wire out. This is how much was inside the tire!

DSCN3887.JPG

I bring this up as I was a victim of a flying piece of wire back in the 70's. Push mower i was using caught a piece of old wire and it bounced off a metal building and lodged in my arm between the bones. It was nearly 3" long and took about 4 hrs. in the ER for them to finally get it out! They kept sending me back for more x-rays as they couldn't find it!

This piece of wire had to be 12"-15" long flying through the air and yet stuck this much through a tire. Would not be good for a body!

• olcowhand, Gtractor, lyall and 7 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 40,969 Thanks
  • 47,143 posts

Posted May 09, 2018 - 04:17 PM

I "straightened" the wire. I think it's from one of those flags for buried lines. Real stiff! Keep folks out of the area when you mow!

• jms180, EricFromPa, LilysDad and 6 others have said thanks

#3 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 9,473 Thanks
  • 4,406 posts

Posted May 09, 2018 - 04:25 PM

I hit a golf ball once with my MF 7. MF 7 does not spin the blades like they do today. It went about 100 ' before it stopped. Good thing nobody was around. 

I wonder how far the golf ball would go if one of those zero turn commercial kubota mowers hit it. ?

Noel

• KennyP, oldedeeres, Sawdust and 3 others have said thanks

#4 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 11,270 Thanks
  • 6,073 posts

Posted May 09, 2018 - 04:32 PM

I hit a golf ball once with my MF 7. MF 7 does not spin the blades like they do today. It went about 100 ' before it stopped. Good thing nobody was around. 

I wonder how far the golf ball would go if one of those zero turn commercial kubota mowers hit it. ?

Noel

Sounds like the making of a contest thread!?!?!  How far can you hit the ball with your mower?

• KennyP, Jazz, chieffan and 2 others have said thanks

#5 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 2,227 Thanks
  • 1,593 posts

Posted May 09, 2018 - 04:56 PM

rocks are just as bad

• KennyP, Sawdust, propane1 and 2 others have said thanks

#6 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Anything Red . . .

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 14,141 Thanks
  • 10,206 posts

Posted May 09, 2018 - 04:59 PM

The Gravely walk behind with the big brush hog blade is excellent for target practice.

• KennyP, chieffan and 4getgto have said thanks

#7 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 1,568 Thanks
  • 878 posts

Posted May 09, 2018 - 05:08 PM

When I was a little kid, my grandmother hit a wire with a push mower. It took a couple of doctors with pliers to pull it out of her shin bone.

If I'm mowing and someone comes around, I stop. I've seen rocks fly through windows, Hot Wheels cars take flight, you name it. Even walking the yard and checking, things just show up. Especially when my three boys were small. One of my neighbors painted all of his tool handles red because his kids had the same habit of can get it out but can't put it back.
  • KennyP, LilysDad, oldedeeres and 4 others have said thanks

#8 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 11,270 Thanks
  • 6,073 posts

Posted May 09, 2018 - 05:38 PM

I trailered up the 425 and mowed the Grand kid's house Monday.  Well, the mower met the aluminum bat they left laying in the tall grass..  The blades cut through the bat, hit it in 3 places and tossed it a fair distance..  I took the bat in after I was done and said-  'Guess nobody wanted this bat?' to the kids..  MAYBE they will pick up their toys now?  We'll see..

• oldedeeres, Leonard VanCamp and 4getgto have said thanks

#9 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 7,474 Thanks
  • 4,584 posts

Posted May 09, 2018 - 07:10 PM

I don't mow with people or animals around any more. On weekends that I don't mow I'll walk the yard with a bucket and pincers and pick up any rocks that have grown, and the thorny mesquite branches that have fallen. Every once and a while my grandson will leave a rubber ball out. Last weekend was one of those times. I'll hit a tennis ball and watch it go, then plan the next pass or two to hit it again to another area. Last weekend it was a hard rubber bounce ball, about the same size. When I hit it it vibrated the tractor and came out in 5 or 6 pieces. I always try and mow with the shield down.

• KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks

#10 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 5,838 Thanks
  • 5,418 posts

Posted May 09, 2018 - 08:42 PM

It isn't an option to wait until I am by myself. So shields and a walk around is part of life.
  • KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks

#11 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 10,907 Thanks
  • 6,375 posts

Posted Today, 09:08 AM

Late to this one. When I was a kid my dad was cutting at his parents house. The land has 3 levels. Bottom flat, big hill, then a flat. Small hill Then a top flat. Each flat is about an acre plus the hill area. I'm in the bottom flat. Dad is mowing the top flat. I was messing around with something or another. I hear a crack from where dad is cutting. I look up and see something flying through the air. I stupidly stare at it. Then I'm laying on my back.

It was a rock the mower threw. To this day I dont know why I didnt take a step to the left or right.
  • KennyP said thank you

#12 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Anything Red . . .

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 14,141 Thanks
  • 10,206 posts

Posted Today, 11:06 AM

To this day I dont know why I didnt take a step to the left or right.

Deer in the headlights . . .

• toomanytoys84 said thank you