22 replies to this topic

#1 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 10,907 Thanks
  • 6,375 posts

Posted May 08, 2018 - 06:15 PM

I've been riding dirt bikes and 4 wheelers since I've been 4 or 5. I've always had a toy. Had a street and trail for awhile but it was awful. It wasn't good at anything. Sub par on the trail and street(unless it was short hops)

Right now I have no toys at all. Been looking at some left over honda naked bikes. Prices are cheap. I want a smaller bike no huge cruisers or super sport bikes. 300 to 500cc to basically just cruise around on state routes and such and the occasional 5 to 10 miles of 70mph on the interstate.

How safe do you feel on the road? I dont mean your ability or how you ride(that parts on you) but the other drivers around you. Is it a constant hassle and danger? Or are the morons limited? I try to he courteous to bikers and give them extra room and keep an eye out for them.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
  • Cvans said thank you

#2 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 2,210 Thanks
  • 1,127 posts

Posted May 08, 2018 - 06:37 PM

I started riding street motorcycles about 12 years ago.  It's a very dangerous thing to do.  The only way you have a chance is to assume everyone is trying to kill you and ride accordingly.  One time I glanced away for a second and destroyed a motorcycle and the car that ran the stop sign.  Fortunately it was a large motorcycle and I was wearing armor and a full face helmet.  I got away with two skinned knuckles and a sore foot.

We've pretty much quit riding, not because it's dangerous (it is!) but we've lost interest.  Between rain, cold, heat and limited cargo capacity it's just easier and more comfortable to hop in the truck.

If you do take it up I strongly recommend the full face helmet and armor.  It's a pain but came in very handy when I used it.

• Gtractor, Alc, toomanytoys84 and 2 others have said thanks

#3 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 10,907 Thanks
  • 6,375 posts

Posted May 08, 2018 - 07:59 PM

If you do take it up I strongly recommend the full face helmet and armor. It's a pain but came in very handy when I used it.

I already own a nice full face helmet, an armored jacket, boots, and gloves.

Bought those when I rode my dual sport on the road.

But what you said is what I'm more afraid of I had one person pull out in front of me. I just want to ride to work and maybe cruise around a little.

Bike I'm looking at is only 3200 dollars out the door. It's a left over 2015. Brand new. 0 miles on the odometer.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Edited by toomanytoys84, May 08, 2018 - 08:00 PM.

#4 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 7,304 Thanks
  • 6,388 posts

Posted May 08, 2018 - 09:25 PM

I was involved with testing new riders on our military base in Japan and gave everyone the same advice. Keep you head and eyes moving all the time. If you get tunnel vision your dead. This is not meant as a discouragement but it is important to know everything that's going on around you. 

How safe do you feel on the road? 

I don't and that's the reason I quit riding. They said the traffic in Japan was some of the worst in the world but I never felt threatened there. In this country with the drinking, drugs, and cell phones I no longer feel it's worth the chance. Still like looking at the bikes though. 

Edited by Cvans, May 08, 2018 - 09:26 PM.

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 42,898 Thanks
  • 31,941 posts

Posted May 08, 2018 - 10:10 PM

It's awfully dangerous these days.  As said, everybody has a cell phone pasted to their ear, and they just don't watch what they're doing.  I've rode since 13, and owned so many different motorcycles it's embarrassing.  I haven't rode my Yamaha 1100 since my neck surgery, and I may ride a little now and then, but it will be very local riding.  I will never ride on an interstate again...ever!  Whenever I ride, my eyes are scanning constantly for danger....you have to!

• Gtractor, Cvans and chieffan have said thanks

#6 1oldbuzz OFFLINE  

1oldbuzz
  • Member No: 61298
  • 606 Thanks
  • 487 posts

Posted May 09, 2018 - 12:12 AM

As stated you need to keep looking and stay alert

if you don't you could be in trouble

too many texting these days and they have no clue

Motorcycling can be dangerous but only of you let it

city traffic is going to be the biggest obstacle

interstate travel can be iffy

secondary highways would have the occasional farm tractor

Just pay attention and you should be ok

And a heads up you should stay at 500cc and up for highway use

anything under isn't the best idea for highway

#7 jimmy G ONLINE  

jimmy G
  • Member No: 78021
  • 1,296 Thanks
  • 826 posts

Posted May 09, 2018 - 12:23 AM

I'm knocking the dust off some old iron this year because it's killing me not to ride lol, yep everything is out to get you and death or dismemberment the penalty for not paying attention, for me the trick to staying alive is knowing the environment around you, gravel on corner's is comon after a heavy rain, that line of on coming car's will have 3 possible killer's in a hurry be it late for work, can't wait to see my girl or mad at the world, none will see you, a hockey rink and just got wet pavement make for a good comparison, that girl with a glowing face will never see a stop sign and neither Will that granddad in a Cadillac, deer do not weigh 120lb's if you kiss one at 50 mph (a blue Jay might at 60) so i ride to the left ticking over through the country side, to the right flying down the highway and in the middle in the city except pulling up to stops where i go far left or far right so i have an out in case of killer's in the mirror, my kids are long grown but that might figure into a younger man's decision, yes the world is getting more dangerous every day but left with a choice of dying on my feet or living on my knees the possibility of going out sitting on my a$$ is something i can live with lol
  • Gtractor and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#8 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

the homeless tractor hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 9,801 Thanks
  • 5,097 posts

Posted May 09, 2018 - 05:52 AM

Like stated above...

Ride like everyone is trying to kill you because about 1/2 of them are thanks to texting. 

• KC9KAS and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#9 Kster526 ONLINE  

Kster526
  • Member No: 77872
  • 948 Thanks
  • 624 posts

Posted May 09, 2018 - 07:57 AM

Been on two wheels for over 20 years. Sold my larger bike for a smaller one
as got tired of burying friends and just didn’t ride much anymore.
This years different. Started new job with less
stress etc. and have rediscovered I still really enjoy getting out there. I don’t do it
everyday like in years past but still enjoy the wind in my face.
The biggest fear is people on cell phones and their complete ignorance of their
surroundings. In our area also driving courtesy’s and such are a thing of the past.
Everybody is in a hurry and has to be first. Not sure when this changed and
people became so ignorant but it’s really disappointing.
Riding as is driving is very dangerous and no matter how much prep and skill
you have you cannot predict or plan for everything. Life’s a risk you need to
enjoy everyday and hope for the best
  • Gtractor and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#10 ShotgunWedding OFFLINE  

ShotgunWedding

Garlic Jedi

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 84933
  • 920 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted May 09, 2018 - 09:03 AM

Yup, I've been riding since '88.  Currently have a 2007 HD Road King in two tone...black and chrome.  A few modifications :D

I go one one big bike trip every year with a bunch of guys rain or shine for 5 days.  Love it.

• toomanytoys84 and Kster526 have said thanks

#11 SimplyRad OFFLINE  

SimplyRad
  • Member No: 84410
  • 1,298 Thanks
  • 944 posts

Posted May 09, 2018 - 11:06 AM

I parked my bike 20 years ago and at that time I was just trying to walk into the factory I was working in so I had my Dr get me a handicap parking permit so I could park a little closer to the gate.

I have thought about getting the bike out but I see all of the somewhat close calls I have had in the truck that I just can't get it back on the road. 

#12 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

jpswift1
  • Member No: 69996
  • 793 Thanks
  • 616 posts

Posted May 09, 2018 - 11:40 AM

Bikes are one of my other passions, and I have too many (most of which I rebuilt myself).  Too many tractors, too many bikes, too much fun  :D

Right now my collection includes:

Yamaha R1

Yamaha R6

Yamaha FZR1000

Honda XR650R (turned into a street legal supermoto)

Honda XR400

Honda XR250L

Yamaha Big Wheel BW200

Yamaha Trail Way TW200

Kawasaki Ninja 250

Each of these bikes are fun, unique and special in their own sort of way.  They each do what they're intended to do very well and I have a blast with them.  I wanted to be on two wheels ever since I was a little kid and now I'm having all sorts of fun doing it.  Yes, it can be dangerous with all of the morons with their cellphones, but it really teaches you to be extra careful when you're out on the road or trails.

Edited by jpswift1, May 09, 2018 - 11:40 AM.

• Gtractor, toomanytoys84 and Kster526 have said thanks

#13 Dugmf12 OFFLINE  

Dugmf12
  • Member No: 57577
  • 104 Thanks
  • 75 posts

Posted May 09, 2018 - 02:12 PM

I got my first bike when I was 13, (49 years ago).  Always had one until we moved to Minneapolis area, northern suburb.  I looked at my 18 month old daughter and didn't drive it after the move.  I eventually sold it.  Several years later bought off-road bikes to go riding with my son.  He moved on and sold the enduro for a road bike.  I always liked the original Honda Magna's, so I bought a 1986 V65 Magna.  Used it to go to work some and also for joy rides with my wife.  I don't drive it much, mentioned selling it once, my wife said hang on to it.  So I still have it, enjoy it.  Don't go much, but fun to take little cruises.  For me, it's the combination of the distracted driving by others but also a little slower response to situations if they happen, due to age.  I'm still able to handle it but split seconds can mean a lot if something comes up.  We ride more of the rural suburbs when we go.  Still is fun :thumbs:

#14 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 10,907 Thanks
  • 6,375 posts

Posted May 09, 2018 - 03:13 PM

As stated you need to keep looking and stay alert
if you don't you could be in trouble
too many texting these days and they have no clue
Motorcycling can be dangerous but only of you let it

city traffic is going to be the biggest obstacle
interstate travel can be iffy
secondary highways would have the occasional farm tractor

Just pay attention and you should be ok

And a heads up you should stay at 500cc and up for highway use
anything under isn't the best idea for highway

Looking at a cbr500r

Sporty looking but not ultra sporty. Pretty upright riding position. Low redline compared to sport bikes.

#15 Kster526 ONLINE  

Kster526
  • Member No: 77872
  • 948 Thanks
  • 624 posts

Posted May 09, 2018 - 07:58 PM

I also had a HD Road King and really miss that bike like I said.
They are a bit nostalgic and a joy to ride. Let’s just say the 1994 HD 883
just isn’t the same and every time I get on it I hear it scream get off me fat boy.
Thinking it’s time to get another large bike.
Enjoyed reading everyone’s bike stories and what you are riding now.
I think you have spurred more motivation to get back in the saddle more.
Now to explain it to my wife.