• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 AZGreenBob OFFLINE  

AZGreenBob

• Member No: 4743
  • 9 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted July 09, 2011 - 09:36 PM

Got my 430 last Saturday and used it today for the first time. I need a manual or instructions on how to remove and install the deck so I can do maintenance and lube everything completely. Also want to inspect blades and spindles and R&R as necessary. I live in SE AZ and am 130 miles from the nearest JD dealer so any help is greatly appreciated.

#2 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,450 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted July 09, 2011 - 10:34 PM

Welcome to GTtalk , can't help you but I'm sure someone will , Al

#3 AV430 OFFLINE  

AV430

• Member No: 2370
  • 53 Thanks
  • 130 posts

Posted July 10, 2011 - 12:30 AM

AZGreenBob, the 430 club has to stick together. I will post the procedure but I highly recommend purchasing the manuals for your tractor and deck. They are well worth it.
1.Turn wheels to extreme right or left for clearance.
2.Stop engine.
3.Engage parking brake.
4. Pull out and turn the pin on the left front of your tractor.
5. Rotate pivoting lever forward and down to release front bracket.
6. Pull out the "J" pins to disconnect draft arms.
7. Pull back on drive shaft collar, and disconnect drive shaft from tractor.
8. Disconnect lift links from lift arms.
9. Pul pins out and rotate to lock position and disconnect side draft arms from tractor frame.
10. Remove two spring locking pins and headed pins to remove left front wheel assembly.
11. Turn rear wheels parallel to the mower deck to deck will "roll" out from under tractor.
12. Slide mower out from under the RIGHT SIDE of tractor.
13. Re-install left front wheel assembly.

Reverse procedure for installation.

Hope this helps. Adam

#4 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted July 10, 2011 - 06:50 AM

I have to also jack the front of my 420 up to clear the oil fill plug on the gearbox ( my mower wheels are set high). ~~ grnspot

#5 Meangreen OFFLINE  

Meangreen

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 31
  • 94 Thanks
  • 300 posts

Posted July 10, 2011 - 02:19 PM

:welcometogttalk: I also jack the front up, the extra clearance just makes it easier to drag the deck out. It is very heavy so be careful when you go to flip it over to remove the blades. :wave:

#6 AZGreenBob OFFLINE  

AZGreenBob

• 9 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted July 10, 2011 - 02:59 PM

Adam;

Thanks very much. I appreciate the help. I have some manuals in .pdf for the tractor, engine and a parts list, but nothing for the mower yet. My next challenge is it overheated yesterday while mowing. (It was 105 degrees out at the time). When I checked the fluids after it cooled, the top tank was 1/2 full. I filled it completely before I started. Should I not have done that? Does it need room for expansion? Anyway, the fluid was very old, brownish and rusty looking so I will be doing a full flush, radiator to the shop for cleaning, all new hoses and a new water pump. Should all the idiot lights come on with the key in the on position? Only the oil pressure and charge lights come on with mine but the temp warning light was on when it overheated.

Thanks,

Bob

#7 AV430 OFFLINE  

AV430

• 53 Thanks
  • 130 posts

Posted July 10, 2011 - 09:20 PM

Bob, When you turn the key to the first position the oil indicator light, the battery discharge light, and the glow plug light will come on. The glow plug indicator will be lit for approximately 8 seconds. To test the operator indicator lights turn the key switch counterclockwise to test position. Every indicator light should come on (6 of them) . Only the PTO indicator should remain unlit. Adam

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 11, 2011 - 08:02 AM

Welcome to the forum Bob. It's nice to see more JD owners on here. It is probably worth giving the whole tractor the once over and doing the transmission oil/filter change if you are not sure that it has been done recently.

#9 AZGreenBob OFFLINE  

AZGreenBob

• 9 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted July 13, 2011 - 12:18 AM

AZGreenBob, the 430 club has to stick together. I will post the procedure but I highly recommend purchasing the manuals for your tractor and deck. They are well worth it.
1.Turn wheels to extreme right or left for clearance.
2.Stop engine.
3.Engage parking brake.
4. Pull out and turn the pin on the left front of your tractor.
5. Rotate pivoting lever forward and down to release front bracket.
6. Pull out the "J" pins to disconnect draft arms.
7. Pull back on drive shaft collar, and disconnect drive shaft from tractor.
8. Disconnect lift links from lift arms.
9. Pul pins out and rotate to lock position and disconnect side draft arms from tractor frame.
10. Remove two spring locking pins and headed pins to remove left front wheel assembly.
11. Turn rear wheels parallel to the mower deck to deck will "roll" out from under tractor.
12. Slide mower out from under the RIGHT SIDE of tractor.
13. Re-install left front wheel assembly.

Reverse procedure for installation.

Hope this helps. Adam

Adam;

Is there a way to turn the Yanmar by hand (front PTO is on the machine) to check to see if the engine is free? Want to check after the overheat to make sure I don't ruin a starter trying to turn a frozen engine.

Thanks,

Bob

#10 AV430 OFFLINE  

AV430

• 53 Thanks
  • 130 posts

Posted July 13, 2011 - 05:27 PM

Bob, you should be able from underneath the tractor. Just grab the drive shaft and turn it. You won't be able to turn it much, but enough to see if the engine is seized or not. I sometimes do this while greasing the u-joints. Adam

#11 AZGreenBob OFFLINE  

AZGreenBob

• 9 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted July 14, 2011 - 07:24 AM

Adam;

Did not hurt the engine. Found that the safety switch contacts on the hydro drive control were too dirty and not making good contact. Cleaned them and she fired right up and ran smoothly. Not bad for 2673 hours. I am going ahead with a complete flush, radiator pull, new water pump, hoses and thermostat. Will also do a full oil change on engine and transaxle so I have a place to start from. Will be using all Amsoil fluids as I have been a dealer since '83. Appreciate all the help here on the forum. After I clean her up and do some painting, etc. I'll post some new photos but it may be a while. I'll be traveling for work starting the 1st week of August.

Bob

#12 AV430 OFFLINE  

AV430

• 53 Thanks
  • 130 posts

Posted July 15, 2011 - 10:54 PM

Great news on the 430 Bob. Those Yanmar diesels are very tough engines. Sounds like you have a great tractor. Adam

#13 AZGreenBob OFFLINE  

AZGreenBob

• 9 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted July 17, 2011 - 12:16 AM

Adam;

Thanks. Pulled the deck today, flushed the cooling system and found inches of caked grease and dirt on the tractor. How do I get the floor pan off (seat is attached to it and I may be using the wrong term). I have the bolts removed but I cannot seem to get it past the speed control and diff lock levers. It wants to hang up. There must be a secret and I'll bet you know what it is.

Bob

#14 gimmodog OFFLINE  

gimmodog

• Member No: 4860
  • 5 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted July 17, 2011 - 01:21 PM

the only secret is patience and determination. The red handles on the 2 levers will pull off, pull them off, remove the 4 hold down bolts. Get 1 person on each side and lift up and back gradually until you clear the fuel gauge and levers then just pull back until it clears the tower, you may have to push down on the levers to get the fenderpan over them. Be careful not to break off the overflow on the fuel fill spout. Hope I helped. Gimmo