• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 Xrperry OFFLINE  

Xrperry
  • Member No: 73285
  • 1259 Thanks
  • 876 posts

Posted May 07, 2018 - 10:49 PM

Not long ago I had some meat head offer me 40 dollars for my Montgomery wards variable 16 because it was just an old crusty mower. I told him he would be well beyond old and crusty before he got it for 40 bucks.he hung up on me lol.

#17 DL-North OFFLINE  

DL-North
  • Member No: 78316
  • 149 Thanks
  • 174 posts

Posted May 07, 2018 - 11:49 PM

Pete,

I only wish you were a bit closer to MN. 

Dan

#18 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 3107 Thanks
  • 3091 posts

Posted May 08, 2018 - 07:59 AM

The other option for the really obnoxious ones would be to set up a meet away from your house. Offer to meet them so they can inspect in person to make an offer then simply never show up.

#19 Petenpole OFFLINE  

Petenpole

• Contributor
  • Member No: 70
  • 202 Thanks
  • 168 posts

Posted May 08, 2018 - 08:17 AM

Thank you everyone for your support and understanding hearts. It has made me smile this morning. It is truly appreciated.

I knew there would be understanding friends and those who would relate to the frustrations. Over the last 30 years I have sold off most of the parts I had that were extra and I am now down to the final thinning. I will keep my 1200/1600 and its snow blower.

The rest will go to someone who appreciates the tractors I have and the few final frames I have will either find a home shortly or get moved to the recycler. Dad wants me to clean up the junk pile and i will do as requested.

Those poor SO*?%*? who know it all can just be ignored.

Again my love to each of you for your listening ears and hearts. You are truly gentleman and should be considered giants among mere mortals.

Thank you

• massey driver, KennyP, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#20 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 44107 Thanks
  • 32302 posts

Posted May 08, 2018 - 08:34 AM

Pete, then half my tractors are completely worthless according to the one idiot.  And as you know well, the only difference between the 1655 & 1855 are the stickers and the engine!   

I hope you keep that smile, as it's not worth the effort to frown from what the idiots say/do.  Now they're frowning, as they obviously wanted to own the tractor, and now they never will!

• Petenpole, massey driver and boyscout862 have said thanks

#21 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Anything Red . . .

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 19120 Thanks
  • 11903 posts

Posted May 08, 2018 - 04:51 PM

I had a prospective buyer start nitpicking a GT I had for sale, face to face. I let him drone on, and when he came up for air I asked if he was finished.

Scott, I wish I had your poise.

• olcowhand and mac102004 have said thanks

#22 Cat385B OFFLINE  

Cat385B

Tractorfanatics.com

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 14751 Thanks
  • 10288 posts

Posted May 08, 2018 - 07:03 PM

I've turned over a new leaf. It's the new cool, calm, and collected Cat from here on out. It's been two months since I've even had to yell at someone at work.

(of course, making a recent college grad newbie cry because they broke safety protocol may have been excessive)
  • olcowhand, KennyP, LilysDad and 2 others have said thanks

#23 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 44107 Thanks
  • 32302 posts

Posted May 08, 2018 - 08:58 PM

Me too!  I could sure put it to use!

• KennyP said thank you

#24 jason silliker ONLINE  

jason silliker
  • Member No: 89577
  • 195 Thanks
  • 177 posts

Posted May 10, 2018 - 03:48 PM

Thank you everyone for your support and understanding hearts. It has made me smile this morning. It is truly appreciated.

I knew there would be understanding friends and those who would relate to the frustrations. Over the last 30 years I have sold off most of the parts I had that were extra and I am now down to the final thinning. I will keep my 1200/1600 and its snow blower.

The rest will go to someone who appreciates the tractors I have and the few final frames I have will either find a home shortly or get moved to the recycler. Dad wants me to clean up the junk pile and i will do as requested.

Those poor SO*?%*? who know it all can just be ignored.

Again my love to each of you for your listening ears and hearts. You are truly gentleman and should be considered giants among mere mortals.

Thank you

Hey Pete, I only wish I could find a  1655/1855,  I hear what you're saying about people who appreciates the tractors. Makes me sick when I see these people looking for tractors just to scrap for cash or whatever. I'd I wish I could find a 1655/1855 in little old PEI!!! I'd love to restore one but use it as a worker when needed when it was done. Love the Green's but I always liked the old Massey's. A 77' 1855 would be sweet as that's the year I was born. I'd build another custom cab like I did for my LA165 but scale it & design it to look like a 1155 farm tractor......maybe someday but they're getting harder to find..... 

http://www.mytractor...html?highlight=

Edited by jason silliker, May 11, 2018 - 07:57 PM.

• KennyP said thank you

#25 dropped82 OFFLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• Member No: 9923
  • 2823 Thanks
  • 1940 posts

Posted May 13, 2018 - 09:11 AM

Many here on GT Talk know I have a 1655 for sale, and I have it listed not only here but also on C/L.

And while I may be wrong (don't believe so) I will vent for a couple of minutes. I am sick and tired of self professed experts on Massey Garden tractors. I have been collecting parts for over 30 years. My first Massey was a 1200 that I upgraded to a 16HP with a wonderful Kohler. That extra 4 HP seems to make all the difference. I have bought 2 -1855's, my current 1655, 2 -1650's and one extra 1600 that was a basket case without an engine.

Here goes.

The so called experts hide behind their texting. They don't even have the courtesy to call just argue from a text.

First Instance was a man from Topeka Kansas who promptly explained to me a 1655 was nothing more than a 1650 with a different engine and was no where close to a 1855.

The second was this weekend when a man told me that because I didn't have an original engine in my 1655 I had destroyed its value and it did not matter what Onan I had in it it had zero value as it was not original. When I shared with him in a tempered manner the frame was not altered, molested or modified, His exact words were " No new motors are even compatible".

How is it possible there are so many stupid people who are clueless and yet want to profess their knowledge or purport to know more than those of us who have all the owners manuals for all of the 1200-1855 series, and their respective parts manuals?

I guess stupidity isn't unlawful; just rampant in a society where others can say they saw it on the internet and that makes it the gospel.

Thank you for the forum to vent. I don't feel better but I am pleased to get it off my chest. And if those 2 people are on this forum, maybe just maybe they will learn something. That is they dont know everything.

Typically the nitpicking is just other words for “I can’t afford it”

Honestly, any 55 series with an engine upgrade is a plus. I feel the 1655 was somewhat underpowered for the capabilities of the machine. Hence me installing the p224 in mine. I’ll bet that 1200 you repowered would pull a house traction permitting. That 16 kohler is a powerhouse in hydros let alone a gear drive.

Send all the naysayers down the road. They’re idiots and don’t deserve your time. Those people are typically ones who have no mechanical abilities and will run a machine till its dead and then park it in the weeds. They don’t deserve those machines either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by dropped82, May 13, 2018 - 09:12 AM.

• olcowhand and Leonard VanCamp have said thanks