• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 pappysMF OFFLINE  

pappysMF
  • Member No: 78534
  • 131 Thanks
  • 113 posts

Posted May 07, 2018 - 11:48 AM

I have a 12 hydro I am trying to sell for a sick friend. I got it running good but can’t get it to drive or even free wheel. It will rock back and forth under power but only an inch or two. When I turn the bypass valve I cannot get it to freewheel either. Any ideas please??

I included a video to show just what it’s doing...or not doing. I hope you can view it?

Thank you all for any help!!

Attached Files

#2 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 13651 Thanks
  • 6006 posts

Posted May 07, 2018 - 01:51 PM

Is the brake stuck on ?  I have a 12, but its geared, but maybe the brake is a band type like my 12.  

Noel

• chieffan and pappysMF have said thanks

#3 pappysMF OFFLINE  

pappysMF
  • 131 Thanks
  • 113 posts

Posted May 07, 2018 - 02:14 PM

The brake band is loose, barely. I can see where it has been tight enough to notch the side of the band out where it wore it down. The band is not perfectly centered on the drum. When I move the hydro lever I can see the pully move inside the band so it is moving freely.
  • chieffan said thank you

#4 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 16627 Thanks
  • 9094 posts

Posted May 07, 2018 - 03:00 PM

Check with your friend and see what the tractor was doing when it stopped.  Also will the wheels turn with the back end jacked off the ground?  Normally one will turn each direction if everything is OK the rear end.

• pappysMF said thank you

#5 pappysMF OFFLINE  

pappysMF
  • 131 Thanks
  • 113 posts

Posted May 07, 2018 - 03:27 PM

Unfortunately he can’t give me much information on it due to his medical condition. I will jack it up and see what happens. It may be an hour or two but I will keep you updated. Thanks!
  • propane1 and chieffan have said thanks

#6 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 13651 Thanks
  • 6006 posts

Posted May 07, 2018 - 04:25 PM

Is there a hi/low range differential in it ?  If so, maybe stuck in both ranges ? Just wondering. I've never seen a hydro 12 before, so I don't know.

Noel

#7 pappysMF OFFLINE  

pappysMF
  • 131 Thanks
  • 113 posts

Posted May 07, 2018 - 04:44 PM

I jacked up the rear drives. At first they felt tight and only moved a couple inches. But the more I worked them they now turn freely by hand. They do turn opposite of each other. I then started the tractor and moved the hydro lever. The rear drives moved just a little bit, like maybe revolved an inch or two.

There is also no difference while I am turning the drives by hand when I would turn the bypass valve.

Another thing I noticed is the bypass valve moves freely while the engine is not running. But while the engine is running, I cannot turn the bypass valve.

#8 pappysMF OFFLINE  

pappysMF
  • 131 Thanks
  • 113 posts

Posted May 07, 2018 - 04:47 PM

Also, what is the lever on the left side of the tunnel between the dash column and the seat? Whatever it is it is not hooked up to anything. I am going to take all the tunnel metal off now and investigate this further.

#9 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Fixer of Broken junk

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 6893 Thanks
  • 4615 posts

Posted May 07, 2018 - 05:05 PM

Might have water in it.

#10 pappysMF OFFLINE  

pappysMF
  • 131 Thanks
  • 113 posts

Posted May 07, 2018 - 05:16 PM

Might have water in it.

The fluid in the reservoir looked good from what I could see while looking down into the fill hole. I did add some addition but it was at least half full.
  • EricFromPa and chieffan have said thanks

#11 pappysMF OFFLINE  

pappysMF
  • 131 Thanks
  • 113 posts

Posted May 07, 2018 - 05:18 PM

Is there a hi/low range differential in it ?  If so, maybe stuck in both ranges ? Just wondering. I've never seen a hydro 12 before, so I don't know.

Noel

I don’t think it has hi/low range.
  • propane1 and chieffan have said thanks

#12 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Fixer of Broken junk

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 6893 Thanks
  • 4615 posts

Posted May 07, 2018 - 05:23 PM

Hmmmmmm

Those are belt driven. Wonder if the woodruff key on the pump is sheered?  Is the shaft spinning with the pulley?

#13 pappysMF OFFLINE  

pappysMF
  • 131 Thanks
  • 113 posts

Posted May 07, 2018 - 05:29 PM

Hmmmmmm

Those are belt driven. Wonder if the woodruff key on the pump is sheered? Is the shaft spinning with the pulley?

The pully that the brake is on does turn as well as every other one that I have noticed.

Edited by pappysMF, May 07, 2018 - 05:30 PM.

#14 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 3107 Thanks
  • 3091 posts

Posted May 07, 2018 - 05:30 PM

Hello,

The suggestion above to check the belt is a good one, especially since there is a tensioner pulley which is attached to the clutch pedal ( left hand side ) and the Parking Brake ( Knob on the right side of tunnel )  If the Knob is back toward the seat, the tensioner pulley is being held away from the belt and the hydro pump may not be spinning.

EDIT:.To remove the parking brake, push down on the clutch pedal, and lift the Knob and move it toward the front of the tractor.

You mention "looking in the resevoir" - these tractors had two styles, one WITH a hydro reservoir under the seat, and one with a hook shaped "dipstick" affair under the left running board and near the left wheel - also close to the free-wheeling valve, which is usually "T" shaped.

If the tractor has the "dipstick" you will need to remove that and try to add fluid there.

If you have the reservoir and it has oil in it......I would still be inclined to investigate and ensure there was no obstruction between the upper reservoir and the lower holding tank.

Let us know how it goes.

Edited by HowardsMF155, May 07, 2018 - 05:32 PM.

#15 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 3107 Thanks
  • 3091 posts

Posted May 07, 2018 - 05:31 PM

...To remove the parking brake, push down on the clutch pedal, and lift the Knob and move it toward the front of the tractor.

And now having watched the video ........

It appears the hydro is "jerking" to a stop.  While I don't hear the motor really loading down, it does make me wonder if the final drive in the axle is damaged or rusted in some way while the hydro system is Ok.

Edited by HowardsMF155, May 07, 2018 - 05:37 PM.