• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lsmith2610 OFFLINE  

lsmith2610

• Member No: 4533
  • 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted July 09, 2011 - 01:45 PM

PURCHASED THE 316 A COUPLE OF WEEKS AGO. THE ONAN ENGINE RUN GREAT. IT WAS ON ITS WAY TO THE SALVAGE YARD WHEN I RESCUED IT. ALL SEEMS TO WORK FINE EXCEPT THE STEERING, IS THIS A ROUTINE PROBLEM ON THIS OLD OF A TRACTOR AND DOES THE STEERING GEAR BOX COME OUT FROM THE BOTTOM:confuse:

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 09, 2011 - 05:00 PM

Welcome to the forum. It is a common problem for most of the older tractors. The steering gear is adjustable for taking out the free play in the wheel. You shouldn't need to remove it unless it is totally shot. There is a grease fitting as well. I recently got a 314 with the same problem. If you download the CTSM for the 140 from the manuals section of this forum it has the same steering gear. The procedure for adjusting out the slack is in the CTSM. The other problem areas are the front axle centre bushing which is available from JD for a few $. Also the bushings in the steering linkage can be worn. The front wheel bearings are another common wear area as well as the tie rod ends. I replaced all this stuff on mine and it was adjusting the steering gear that finally tightened up the steering to like new.
If you turn the wheel you should be able to see the linkage and steering gear moving. Then you can see where most of the slack is.
  • Lalo said thank you

#3 lsmith2610 OFFLINE  

lsmith2610

• Member No: 4533
  • 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted July 09, 2011 - 09:39 PM

Thanks for the help. I'll check that out, hopefully that,s the problem.i can turn the wheel almost a 1/4 turn in either direction with no movement in the linkage or pitman arm

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 10, 2011 - 05:18 AM

You may be able to adjust most of that out. Make sure you fill the gear with grease. I'd add some before adjusting it to make sure there is some lubrication in there. It holds a lot of grease. You did well to rescue the tractor. There are still many new parts available from JD and lots of used stuff around. They are a well built tractor with a strong drive train but many of them have been neglected and require a lot of work to bring them back to life. Once you get the steering gear sorted out you can see what else is worn. My front axle bushing was shot and you could wiggle the axle back and forth. That's an easy, cheap fix. I also replaced the wheel bearings $50 and tie rod ends another 50$. Sloppy steering really bugs me. Good luck with it.