• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Jkingsley OFFLINE  

Jkingsley
  • Member No: 90054
  • 8 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted May 02, 2018 - 01:29 PM

Hello all, I am looking at options for a pair of small tractors to use on our homestead / small farm and have liked the looks of the power kings for a long time. I think I would be looking at the models with the larger rear tires as I am looking to use them on everything from a front loader (provided I can find one reasonable) to a sickle mower and other equipment. I use Shetland ponies now for logging and field work and would like to reduce the shovel and have some help with the heavy lifting. I would be likely looking at two tractors one as a field and general use and then the loader. What is availability of these tractors like in Vermont or near by? Thanks

• Francisdig, Doug E. and fredh have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 15188 Thanks
  • 9998 posts

Posted May 02, 2018 - 01:57 PM

You would have to check CL and with dealers in your area.  There seems to be quite a few subcompact and compact tractors in my area but they are expensive. The PKs are fewer and farther between. You may have to widen your search to find what you want. Attend some tractor and farm shows in your area. I have found tractors at shows that were much cheaper than CL. Good Luck, Rick

• Austen and fredh have said thanks

#3 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 1642 Thanks
  • 911 posts

Posted May 02, 2018 - 02:25 PM

How big is a "small farm"? Unless you have your heart set on a garden tractor, you can get a tractor for the same or even less money.

You mention heavy lifting, you will have much more capacity with an older full size tractor. 8Ns can be found pretty reasonable. People are in love with the 135 Massey's and their prices show that. Step up a level or two above a 135 and you can get them for nearly half the cost of a 135. B and C model Case tractors can be found fairly cheaply, too.
  • boyscout862, Austen, fredh and 1 other said thanks

#4 zuren OFFLINE  

zuren
  • Member No: 65629
  • 226 Thanks
  • 220 posts

Posted May 02, 2018 - 02:36 PM

I have a PK because my father handed it down to me.  The PK is simple, easy to fix, used parts can be found on auction sites, some new parts can be found at places like Mission Manufacturing.  The Cat 0 hitch can make it hard to find attachments.  PKs with the factory FEL tend to be rare, and are typically gone quickly.

However, everyday I lust for a similar sized tractor to my 1618 with a FEL, power steering, 4WD, Cat 1 hitch, and a rear PTO with enough output to run a chipper, brush hog, etc.  And I don't have a farm.  I think if you are planning to be efficient with your time and energy while actually farming, you might want to consider something in the subcompact or compact categories. 

• boyscout862, Austen, propane1 and 2 others have said thanks

#5 tom tractor OFFLINE  

tom tractor
  • Member No: 51604
  • 300 Thanks
  • 277 posts

Posted May 02, 2018 - 02:45 PM

On my hobby farm I use a ford 601. Which is the same as an 8n. It is so much more versatile and useful than the power king I used to own. The ford 8n will never let you down for ability for small farming.
  • boyscout862, propane1, fredh and 1 other said thanks

#6 Jkingsley OFFLINE  

Jkingsley
  • 8 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted May 02, 2018 - 03:17 PM

Currently I don't have a lot of land to work with so it is more cleaning horse stalls and moving compost around. My parents have a farm and a ford 2000 loader tractor. I like the 8n tractors for field work and have owned some of the larger tractors in the past but with very limited land base am leaning more towards the cub size. I would like a 4wd compact but the expense is more than I can do right now with kids and all. I have used my in-laws small gt loader before and it worked well for my small spreader. that was one reason to look at them. I like the PK tractors looks and such is why I was leaning towards them. I have found a Farm King 990 with loader for 1200 on CL but it is not currently running and not sure about a full day in the truck with a trailer to go after another project. I have 2 JD 317s in the garage now that need engines... one never had one since I got it and the other lost a cylinder I think last summer I need to do a compression test on it to see where it stands. may just repower both.

• propane1 and fredh have said thanks

#7 Austen OFFLINE  

Austen
  • Member No: 33768
  • 3706 Thanks
  • 1463 posts

Posted May 02, 2018 - 04:01 PM

Great responses so far. I think for the purposes you described - cleaning horse stalls and moving compost around - would suit one of these just fine. For big heavy jobs on a farm, not so much but as a smaller machine for getting into tight areas like you describe, it's just the ticket.

Finding one with a loader that's not beat to pot may take a little while, and sometimes people ask more than a premium for them too just because the loader setup on these is less common. If your heart is set on it, keep on eye out, make a few want ads, be willing to travel and spend a little bit of money, and with some patience find yourself that setup you desire. :thumbs:

Edited by Austen, May 02, 2018 - 04:02 PM.

• boyscout862, Mark 149 J. and fredh have said thanks

#8 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 15188 Thanks
  • 9998 posts

Posted May 02, 2018 - 07:56 PM

I   just came across a PK in my area. It has a typical asking price.    Luck, Rick

I have tried several times to post the link but it disappears when I click to post. https://newlondon.cr...6578244767.html

Edited by boyscout862, May 03, 2018 - 07:24 AM.

#9 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 9083 Thanks
  • 8325 posts

Posted May 03, 2018 - 05:37 AM

I have a 2418 PK with a loader and it's very handy , also a smaller Jim Dandy . If you find one with a loader that's great but to be honest if you found one without I wouldn't bother putting a loader on it . Without p/s it's a little tuff in confine areas and with the gear transmission your really abusing the clutch and those transmission are noted to grind somewhat anyway . I put a foot throttle on mine which helped because you can raise and lower the throttle quickly without your hands like it was before . Another think on the 24" wheel models , the front spindles sometimes bend from the extra weight of the loader and load . The po shortened mine and then lowered the front axle to keep the tractor level .

#10 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

the homeless tractor hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 10226 Thanks
  • 5243 posts

Posted May 03, 2018 - 05:47 AM

I love Power Kings

Buy yourself a 4X4 Kubota or Massey or Deere scut.

#11 Jkingsley OFFLINE  

Jkingsley
  • 8 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted May 03, 2018 - 07:49 AM

Thanks for the responses. I will probably keep looking for a compact 4wd loader since the better half would rather have one that is newer. I found a PK with a sickle mower and dump rake along with a 60inch swisher pull behind mower but the folks want 4K for it... may have to tackle things a piece at a time. I have waited this long and at 35 I can wait longer if need be to get the tractors I want. with 3 kids in the house I have a limited toy budget so I will keep saving pennies and the tractor will eventually be the next thing I buy. I like the idea of a tractor with a sickle as the ponies are great to mow the little bit of hay I do but some times a tractor would fit the time window a bit easier. I know it wouldn't be as big as the mowers I have used on the farm but the fields I cut are only about an acre so I am happy to mow with a 42 inch cuterbar with the ponies and can see it being just as much fun with a power King. I get my haying fix and the wife doesn't have to deal with me mowing 300 ac and being gone all the time :D so it would be a win\win. I am still in the planning stages so I don't know how far I will actually get this spring.

#12 zuren OFFLINE  

zuren
  • 226 Thanks
  • 220 posts

Posted May 04, 2018 - 11:10 AM

Thanks for the responses. I will probably keep looking for a compact 4wd loader since the better half would rather have one that is newer. I found a PK with a sickle mower and dump rake along with a 60inch swisher pull behind mower but the folks want 4K for it... may have to tackle things a piece at a time. I have waited this long and at 35 I can wait longer if need be to get the tractors I want. with 3 kids in the house I have a limited toy budget so I will keep saving pennies and the tractor will eventually be the next thing I buy. I like the idea of a tractor with a sickle as the ponies are great to mow the little bit of hay I do but some times a tractor would fit the time window a bit easier. I know it wouldn't be as big as the mowers I have used on the farm but the fields I cut are only about an acre so I am happy to mow with a 42 inch cuterbar with the ponies and can see it being just as much fun with a power King. I get my haying fix and the wife doesn't have to deal with me mowing 300 ac and being gone all the time :D so it would be a win\win. I am still in the planning stages so I don't know how far I will actually get this spring.

If the wife has the potential to be operating the tractor, I would definitely lean toward something with a hydro transmission and power steering.  My mom never operated my dad's (now mine) PK because the clutch was so stiff.  I think this is the case with all of them.  I know my wife would have a hard time with the clutch and is uneasy on the complete lack of safety features, so she doesn't drive it.

The other thing I have heard from others is that a tractor with a loader and no power steering can be a bear to steer once you have weight in the bucket.

When I see a PK with a loader, it is typically a $3500+ tractor, usually $4000+ if in decent shape and has other desired features.  I'm still researching prices on older subcompacts and compacts, but $5000-6000 seems to get you a decent tractor with a FEL from the 1980s to 1990s.  I use SearchTempest.com (better, broader search of Craigslist) and TractorHouse.com to research models, prices, etc.

There was a PK in Ohio (outside Cincinnati) that had the factory sickle mower on Craigslist recently.  The tractor looked very clean and was priced to sell ($2000 I think).  I don't see it listed anymore.  

Edited by zuren, May 04, 2018 - 11:11 AM.

#13 zuren OFFLINE  

zuren
  • 226 Thanks
  • 220 posts

Posted May 08, 2018 - 01:35 PM

That Power King with the sickle bar near Akron, OH (I was wrong with my Cincy reference) was relisted:

https://akroncanton....6583392381.html

I don't know anything about it; not associated with the seller.  Seems like the price is too good to be true for a PK in this condition with a rare implement.

Edited by zuren, May 08, 2018 - 01:49 PM.

#14 BowlBuilder OFFLINE  

BowlBuilder

• Member No: 8169
  • 501 Thanks
  • 484 posts

Posted July 04, 2018 - 12:22 PM

If I were looking for a loader tractor to clean horse stalls, I would personally consider a Case 600 series loader. They are physically smaller and more maneuverable. Bucket capacity is greater. The hydraulic drive system makes them simple to work on. Don’t be fooled by their size, they have been known to lift 1000 lbs. with proper counterbalancing. As a bonus, if you can find a 648, they come with power steering as a standard item. These are not garden tractors with loafers attached to them. They are purpose built loaders and have the uprights as part of the frame. Just my opinion. Good luck with your search.

#15 BowlBuilder OFFLINE  

BowlBuilder

• Member No: 8169
  • 501 Thanks
  • 484 posts

Posted July 06, 2018 - 01:56 AM

Here is a nice example of a small affordable Case/Ingersoll loader. Later version of the 600 series. Don’t be fooled by its small size, this is a very capable loader that I believe would fit your needs on a budget. As a bonus you get power steering. Older 600 series can be had in the $2000 - $2500 in nice shape.

https://stlouis.crai...6626330126.html

Edited by BowlBuilder, July 06, 2018 - 01:56 AM.

• Alc said thank you