28 replies to this topic

#1 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 10,900 Thanks
  • 6,374 posts

Posted May 01, 2018 - 04:58 PM

Well. I cut started cutting grass today. The coil went out on the cub. I fixed it. Put it in the shed. When to john deere. Looked at the different models. Same ones I researched for days.

Ended up on the middle road. X350. Paid 3063 out the door after haggle and rebates. Not exactly what I wanted. I wanted the 1023e but I could not convince myself to buy it.

Hate the reverse thing. Not real fond of the k46 but it should last me for years.

It seems to sip gas. Cut my yard and played around at dads. Gas gauge barely moved. Cuts like a dream. Beautiful job. Doesn't cut quite as smooth as the full float deck on the bolens. Super quiet. Seat is comfortable. Cup holder holds a beverage. So far I love it

a6a497822e9104de2772aad42feb5efd.jpg12268901cfa017de9104dda47fa91fae.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Edited by toomanytoys84, May 01, 2018 - 05:11 PM.

• jhn9840, olcowhand, Alc and 9 others have said thanks

#2 jeeper4life OFFLINE  

jeeper4life
  • Member No: 32496
  • 56 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted May 01, 2018 - 05:13 PM

Looks pretty good!
  • boyscout862 and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#3 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 11,376 Thanks
  • 7,120 posts

Posted May 01, 2018 - 06:10 PM

You don't have a choice now but to love it.  For me, a JD would be the last brand of mower I would buy.  I had one and parts prices are outrageously high including belts.  I got a used one a few years back.  Had some kind of torque or something on the right side to help power through tough spots  ? ? ?   Got it running and mowing decent and unloaded it fast.  If I ever buy a new unit it will definitely not be a Lawn Tractor.  Way to many GT's out there for a lot less $$$.  I wish you the best on your new mower.  Looks nice and shiny in the yard.

• toomanytoys84 said thank you

#4 Rock farmer ONLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,299 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted May 01, 2018 - 06:24 PM

It was the cup holder that sealed the deal wasn’t it?

Just keep it clean and it should last a long time.

I use the air compressor to blow mine of after each use.

That garden hose fitting may be a good idea, I just don’t like getting the mower deck wet!

Joe
  • KennyP, Sawdust, toomanytoys84 and 1 other said thanks

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 42,898 Thanks
  • 31,941 posts

Posted May 01, 2018 - 06:42 PM

I would never use the water hose thing.  It won't remove the hard packed grass, so it just soaks it real nice so it rots the deck out way faster than just the grass without the added water.  I hope you like it, but I'll keep saying.....when possible, buy what you KNOW you want.  Now you're kinda committed now unless you trade this one in to the JD dealer for what you really wanted.  No other brand dealer will act like you have anything to trade.

• Sawdust, toomanytoys84 and chieffan have said thanks

#6 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 10,900 Thanks
  • 6,374 posts

Posted May 01, 2018 - 07:02 PM

I would never use the water hose thing. It won't remove the hard packed grass, so it just soaks it real nice so it rots the deck out way faster than just the grass without the added water. I hope you like it, but I'll keep saying.....when possible, buy what you KNOW you want. Now you're kinda committed now unless you trade this one in to the JD dealer for what you really wanted. No other brand dealer will act like you have anything to trade.

I'm fine with having 2 tractors down the road!

I need to build a garage. I gave up my garage as the 2 bedroom addition when my youngest was born 2 years ago.

The 15,000 or more I was going to throw into a sub compact is a huge chunk towards my garage.

I'll buy one down the road. Maybe in 2 years. Next year my garage is going up, I hope.

Edited by toomanytoys84, May 01, 2018 - 07:02 PM.

• olcowhand, KennyP, Cvans and 2 others have said thanks

#7 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 10,900 Thanks
  • 6,374 posts

Posted May 01, 2018 - 07:04 PM

It was the cup holder that sealed the deal wasn’t it?

Just keep it clean and it should last a long time.

I use the air compressor to blow mine of after each use.

That garden hose fitting may be a good idea, I just don’t like getting the mower deck wet!

Joe

I cut tonight and used the air compressor to blow the grass off.

I dont use water on the mower deck. Set of ramps. Drive up and scrap.

Edited by toomanytoys84, May 01, 2018 - 07:04 PM.

• olcowhand, Rock farmer and chieffan have said thanks

#8 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 42,898 Thanks
  • 31,941 posts

Posted May 01, 2018 - 07:53 PM

I can't argue against a garage first.  You have something to mow with, so now you need a garage to tinker & repair.

• KennyP, Cvans, Sawdust and 2 others have said thanks

#9 RustyB ONLINE  

RustyB
  • Member No: 82061
  • 190 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted May 01, 2018 - 08:07 PM

Nice looking tractor. I bought a new JD tractor at the end of 2016,don't waste your time looking back. When you want to mow the yard it'll be there ready to go and you won't have to work on it before you get started. I think that if you take care of it will take care of you.You can still have the older equipment to tinker with.

#10 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 10,900 Thanks
  • 6,374 posts

Posted May 01, 2018 - 08:11 PM

Nice looking tractor. I bought a new JD tractor at the end of 2016,don't waste your time looking back. When you want to mow the yard it'll be there ready to go and you won't have to work on it before you get started. I think that if you take care of it will take care of you.You can still have the older equipment to tinker with.

Thanks. Plenty of old stuff to tinker with. Buying this doesn't change my love of old tractors. And I will still use my old stuff but just not for my weekly grass care.

Since this has the k46 I dont plan on ever pulling anything with it or it touching a snow plow. It will be used for grass cutting only.

• Cvans and Sawdust have said thanks

#11 jms180 ONLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 1,753 Thanks
  • 1,675 posts

Posted May 01, 2018 - 08:16 PM

that is a nice machine it will serve you well

#12 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 10,900 Thanks
  • 6,374 posts

Posted May 01, 2018 - 08:18 PM

I can't argue against a garage first. You have something to mow with, so now you need a garage to tinker & repair.

I miss my garage so much. I use dads which is a 30 second drive down the road. But that's his garage. Not mine. I want to get me a decent sized shed in the meantime.

• olcowhand and Sawdust have said thanks

#13 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 711 Thanks
  • 807 posts

Posted May 01, 2018 - 09:11 PM

Thanks. Plenty of old stuff to tinker with. Buying this doesn't change my love of old tractors. And I will still use my old stuff but just not for my weekly grass care.

Since this has the k46 I dont plan on ever pulling anything with it or it touching a snow plow. It will be used for grass cutting only.

Don't sweat the K46, my X300R a dedicated mower is 8yrs old and 400 some hours with no issues.  JD parts prices,,,, well I suppose some things cost a bit more but they last.  Again 8yrs old and 400 some hours and other than routine maintenance I have only replaced two bearings in the blower (I think using the washer port took those out), the belt that drives the blower (wife took that out) and one set of blades at 350 hrs they were just starting to show a little wear, total cost less than 150 bux.

• KennyP, toomanytoys84 and chieffan have said thanks

#14 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 11,376 Thanks
  • 7,120 posts

Posted May 02, 2018 - 10:27 AM

We all have our own ideas on the water under the deck issue.  I use a power washer to clean our up after about ever 2 mowings.  After the washing it gets greased to push out any moisture that may get in the bearings.  Then run it for about 30 seconds while parking in the shed.  The F525 JD I had was treated the same way and after 5 years the original bearings were still running and good.   Had to buy a new belt for it every year.  One year the deck belt and the next the deck drive belt.  Close to $100 each at JD but found a Kevlar bet that was the same for less than half. 

#15 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 10,900 Thanks
  • 6,374 posts

Posted May 02, 2018 - 11:46 AM

We all have our own ideas on the water under the deck issue. I use a power washer to clean our up after about ever 2 mowings. After the washing it gets greased to push out any moisture that may get in the bearings. Then run it for about 30 seconds while parking in the shed. The F525 JD I had was treated the same way and after 5 years the original bearings were still running and good. Had to buy a new belt for it every year. One year the deck belt and the next the deck drive belt. Close to $100 each at JD but found a Kevlar bet that was the same for less than half.

I've never been a fan of water for decks. Power washing you are removing all the stuck on soggy grass that would hold water if you just hosed. Th as t probably has a big effect. We have picked up cubs that the decks looked like swiss cheese and picked up cubs the decks looked like new.

I looked up the belts for mine. Expensive from deere but crossover to a gates it's way more reasonable. I guess that deere logo adds 300% to 500% to the price of a belt.
  • Sawdust and Mark 149 J. have said thanks