• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 MaxTractor OFFLINE  

MaxTractor
  • Member No: 90049
  • 80 Thanks
  • 63 posts

Posted May 01, 2018 - 04:02 PM

I added this tractor to my collection recently and it is definitely one of my favorite tractors and probably the next one I restore. I need to add a few parts to it to complete the electric-lift three-point hitch, which I can borrow from another three-point I have. It did come with a deck which is in pretty good condition. Engine runs but a git rough and hard to start.

One thing I am curious about .. this Onan B48M does not appear to have an oil filter. I thought all Sears tractor Onan engines had an oil pump and filter but now I am starting to think that some do not. Any clarification would be appreciated.

So if it is splash lubricated, does anyone anyone have any general maintenance tips.

All thoughts, suggestions, questions and comments appreciated. Here is an initial look.

IMG_2187.jpg IMG_2185.jpg IMG_2184.jpg IMG_2182.jpg IMG_2181.jpg IMG_2026.jpg IMG_2019.jpg IMG_2013.jpg

• Alc and jpswift1 have said thanks

#2 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 8512 Thanks
  • 5931 posts

Posted May 02, 2018 - 08:45 AM

nice tractor to start a resto on, its in pretty good shape already.

Not sure about the oil filter, I'm a Tecumseh guy

• MaxTractor said thank you

#3 Dugmf12 OFFLINE  

Dugmf12
  • Member No: 57577
  • 142 Thanks
  • 101 posts

Posted May 02, 2018 - 12:04 PM

I'm certainly no expert on Onan engines or Sears tractors but I have a B48M in a Snapper 1855 and my oil filter is located on the grill side of your tractor, or the front on your engine orientation.  I hope that makes sense. :say_what:

#4 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • 8512 Thanks
  • 5931 posts

Posted May 02, 2018 - 01:06 PM

It should be located here, that's where it is on my buddy's 77 18/6 twin

sears gt18.jpg

#5 Dugmf12 OFFLINE  

Dugmf12
  • Member No: 57577
  • 142 Thanks
  • 101 posts

Posted May 03, 2018 - 07:28 PM

I am really feeling quite stupid, but I told you wrong.  My filter is where Tahoe indicated, on the back side facing the dash.  For some reason I thought your tractor was facing the other way.  Sorry for the confusion.  

• TAHOE and MaxTractor have said thanks

#6 MaxTractor OFFLINE  

MaxTractor
  • 80 Thanks
  • 63 posts

Posted May 04, 2018 - 01:05 PM

Thanks guys. I must not have a filter (and hence no oil pump) on this engine. There is definitely no filter visible and I don't think they hid them under the engine cover which is the only place I could have one since I have looked pretty close now.

I think I just really wanted to have the pressure lube system and was under the impression that all Onan's had that.

Learned something new.

Still love this GT a lot and can't wait to move it into the limelight maybe sometime this summer and start restoring it.

• KennyP and 4getgto have said thanks

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 49392 Thanks
  • 51889 posts

Posted May 04, 2018 - 06:50 PM

Thanks guys. I must not have a filter (and hence no oil pump) on this engine. There is definitely no filter visible and I don't think they hid them under the engine cover which is the only place I could have one since I have looked pretty close now.

I think I just really wanted to have the pressure lube system and was under the impression that all Onan's had that.

Learned something new.

Still love this GT a lot and can't wait to move it into the limelight maybe sometime this summer and start restoring it.

Just because there is no filter does not mean it's not a pressurized system. Here's a parts manual for the B48M. Look through it and you will see it came with/without oil filter.

Attached File  Onan_B48M-GA018_Parts_Manual_19881100.pdf   6.98MB   266 downloads

• Alc and MaxTractor have said thanks

#8 MaxTractor OFFLINE  

MaxTractor
  • 80 Thanks
  • 63 posts

Posted May 04, 2018 - 07:06 PM

Just because there is no filter does not mean it's not a pressurized system. Here's a parts manual for the B48M. Look through it and you will see it came with/without oil filter.

attachicon.gifOnan_B48M-GA018_Parts_Manual_19881100.pdf

Thanks for the manual. I see how filter was an option. This tractor is in storage and I have not had a chance to look closely at it since I only got it recently. I love gauges so I think part of my interest was in being able to put an oil pressure guage on this tractor. I'll put a gauge on anything I can. So maybe it can have an oil pump but no filter. I will keep researching.

• KennyP said thank you

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 49392 Thanks
  • 51889 posts

Posted May 04, 2018 - 07:28 PM

When you can, take the tin off the side and see if it has the block off plate. I can get you in touch with someone who should have the filter adapter!

#10 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • 8512 Thanks
  • 5931 posts

Posted May 07, 2018 - 06:27 AM

Boomer at Boomer's used onan parts is a good guy to talk to, he knows these engine pretty well.

http://www.boomersonanparts.com

#11 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 3147 Thanks
  • 1400 posts

Posted May 10, 2018 - 05:51 AM

Yes you have an oil pump and no filter...

20171206_165827.jpg

Your oil pump is this simple set of gears. 

If you look at a parts diagram you will see some applications have a ball and spring that they call the bypass valve. When you don't have a filter you do not need the bypass valve its just a free slowing system.

20180203_205241.jpg

Sorry I don't have a better photo handy but if you look at the right side of this photo you should see the block off plate , if you have that then you can add a filter. That is if you have enough room on your tractor to mount it. 

#12 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 49392 Thanks
  • 51889 posts

Posted May 10, 2018 - 06:50 AM

I have a B43E Onan on the JD 316. It doesn't have a filter either, but I happen to have the filter adapter to put on it. Here's a pic:

DSCN3882.JPG

I will have to cut a hole in the tins for the filter.

#13 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 49392 Thanks
  • 51889 posts

Posted May 10, 2018 - 03:55 PM

I do have the filter adapter # if you want it!

#14 MaxTractor OFFLINE  

MaxTractor
  • 80 Thanks
  • 63 posts

Posted May 11, 2018 - 12:11 AM

Yes you have an oil pump and no filter...

attachicon.gif20171206_165827.jpg

Your oil pump is this simple set of gears. 

If you look at a parts diagram you will see some applications have a ball and spring that they call the bypass valve. When you don't have a filter you do not need the bypass valve its just a free slowing system.

attachicon.gif20180203_205241.jpg

Sorry I don't have a better photo handy but if you look at the right side of this photo you should see the block off plate , if you have that then you can add a filter. That is if you have enough room on your tractor to mount it. 

Hey thank you for the clarification and pics! This is great. I can ad an oil pressure gauge and maybe even the filter.

#15 MaxTractor OFFLINE  

MaxTractor
  • 80 Thanks
  • 63 posts

Posted May 11, 2018 - 12:16 AM

I do have the filter adapter # if you want it!

Sure! Looks like I have some options for custom stuff. Like maybe I could attach hoses to the filter adapter somehow and be able to do a remote-mount oil filter and even a little oil cooler. And of course .. the oil pressure gauge.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 1979 sears gt18, gt18, gt/18, onan b48m, onan, b48m